Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a scope mount for a Marlin 336 or 1895 fit a 1894?
I want to mount a lowpower scope on my 1894SS 44mag, and have found the scope I want at midwayusa. Im looking at the Talley Lightweight 2-piece scope mounts with integral rings in their catalog, but it lists as for Marlin 336-1895.
Will the Talley fit on my 1894SS? I need info ASAP, as today is my birthday and I have convinced She Who Must Be Obeyed that I really need this scope and must order before she changes her mind or something around the farm breaks. :roll:

·
Registered
187 Posts
White Owl,

I do not know the answer to your question, but would suggest calling their Gun Techs.

Great birthday present and happy birthday! I just got my fathers day gift and installed my new williams firesight and fp on my 1895cb.

·
Registered
422 Posts
1894 hole spacing is shorter than on a 336. Some one piece mounts (Weavers) are drilled for both, some are not. I use a Redfield steel one-piece mount on my 1894's and they work great. Two piece mounts, such as Weavers also work well. There are a lot of mounts availble for the 336 but less selection for the 1894.

Brownell's sells the Redfield 1894 steel one piece mount and rings if you are interested.

WWW.brownells.com

Good shooting!

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
If I read your question right, your asking about a 2 piece base. If its a 2 piece then it'll work. It'll put the rings closer together which limits how far forward or back you can mount your scope a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
WHITE OWL call Marlin Customer Service !-800-544-8892 They will answere your question. Oh! by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY 444 :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
No - I bought one to have it modified to fit my 39A and it will not fit the 336/1895 (if it is the one piece and I don't know of a two piece Leupold/Redfield, etc, for the 1894/1895/336).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sorry - Forgot to read "Talley", might work but there again, hole spacing is different, unless the space between the holes is the same.

·
Registered
154 Posts
White Owl -

GLC is correct. FYI redfield used to list two Marlin levergun one piece bases: one for the 336/1895 and a "shorty" for the 1894's - now that redfield is no-more... when I look at brand L mounts (they bought up what was left of redfield), I notice only one Marlin levergun base... maybe their's is now double drilled to fit both??? You'll need to check... or find someone with an old 1894 redfield base collecting dust on the shelf.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a Weaver one-piece base in the Midway#2 catalog that spec'd for the 1894 Marlin. I ordered that and some Weaver 4x4 rings and the BSA 1.5x4.5 Catseye scope. I am looking forward to try this rig out. I have 100 rounds of 270grain Gold Dots already loaded. With the factory sights, and shooting from the bench, I was getting 2.5 to 3 inch groups at 100yds.
Im hoping to tighten groups up a bit with the scope.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I hope you have better luck with the BSA than I did.

I picked up one in a trade, NIB. A 1.5-6X/30mm.

The rear objective would "flop" around even when tightened with lock ring. It also had a huge amout of play in the power setting ring, and the cross hairs would wander all over the place.

I took it back to shop I got it from. All the others they had (6!), did exactly the same thing.

Shop took mine back, and sent all 7 back to their distributer. Later, I saw the distributer "dumping" all their stock of the "Cateye's" at a "fire-sale" price. (less than half of wholesale cost).

Good Luck!

If not able to get a Leupold, get a Bushnell Banner.

Although it's not the same scope today as it was in early '70's, my brothers 1.5-4.5 Banner is still going strong, even though the rear objective has a slight but perceptable "droop", from where the gun was dropped while hunting bear in Alaska in early '80's and landed on rear objective bell.

Not bad for a $30 scope (then, not now!).

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I have a 1 piece mount, it is a weaver style ( I think it is a weaver?), I do not see a number on it. However, it is interchangeable between an 1895 and 1894 I have. The 1894 is an 1984 product and the 1895 is a 1972 gun. I do not know if the spacing has been changed over the years. But I commonly do load development with the scope and then hunt with a peep. So, I am very happy to have a single mount for all my marlins!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had a BSA Contender 6x24 on a Rem 700 30/06 for about three years and have fired over 500 rounds without a problem. I thought I would give the Cateye a try because where I plan to hunt with the 1894SS is in thickly planted pine plantations. Ranges will be short, probably between 20 and 80 yards, but the pinetops block a lot of daylight, so darkthirty comes early. I just couldn't see the factory sights good enough and I had already tried a Williams Firesight on my 444SS, and couldn't see well enough thru it either 30 or so minutes before sundown in these pines. I expect my package from Midway in the next couple of days and will give you a quality report on the BSA Catseye.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts