Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am looking to put a compact scope on my 30.30. and was looking for a few ideas,I would really only need a max of 4x as I use it for wood hunting mainly with a max distance of about 100yds, at present i have a red dot no mag for speed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
give some consideration to weight. A scope adds about one pound to the weight of the rifle . If you can see the vital zone of the target, the scope offers no distinct advantage. On the other hand a scope increases the weigth of the rifle by about one lbs. If you don't need it, don't use it!!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Bought a Burris 4X "Short Mag" #201311 for the XLR I'm waiting to find around here. I picked up an 1895 45/70 recently, so I thought I'd try it out on that for now.
Liked the way it looks so much, I'm leaving it on.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Scoutman's post has touched on an interesting point in which I have been doing a little studing on. I agree with what he said, but being one of those whom perfers to hunt with a scope, adding a little weight to my "hunting rig" is really not an issue. A more important issue, in my opinion, would be where the weight is added. Ironicly, referring to Scoutman's name, my research on this issue has led me in the direction of a scout scope setup.

My 336 .35 has the standard scope placement. With that setup there is more weight placed towards the butt of the rifle. The balancing pivot point on my 336 is right in front of the lever. Therefore when I shoot it off hand I rest the receiver on my hand which is barely touching the rear of the forearm. This provides a steady rest which allows the rifle to "self balance" itself giving me the most accuarcy. In hunting situations this can be a little awkward, at least for me, when a quick shot is needed. I have never been a "quick shot artist". I am one that likes to wait for that perfect steady shot, but we all know alot of times this opportunity does not unfold.

This brings me to the scout scope setup. Moving that "extra pound" of weight foward would result in a better balanced rifle in my opinion. This coupled with a low powered scope and long eye relief would give a much better target acquisition and thus allowing me to make a more confident "quick" shot. This setup allows you to shoot with both eyes fixed on the target. An advantage a us bowhunters are all to familiar with.

Can you tell I missed the last buck I slung a .35 slug at, two years ago? From the time I spotted him I had about 5 seconds to make the shot. I shouldered the Marlin but could not find the buck in my Bushnell scope. I quickly dropped my eye down to the iron sights (see-thru mounts), found my target, and fired a round. The off-balanced shot missed him by at least a foot and half. This was our second meeting. I missed him with an arrow 5 weeks earlier.That nice eight pointer is the luckest buck I have ever met. I can, some what, accept an arrow missing my target , but it's hard for me to swallow when that 150 grain .35 doesn't blow out a lung!

Taff, I apologize if I have gotten off topic here. I just wanted to touch on the topic of scout scopes before I show you what will be sitting on my 336 come next deer season. The scope I will be using is a Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm Scout.

LINKS.

here is a good example of what the setup looks like.....I love the look......

http://www.gunblast.com/AO_Leupold.htm

here is the mount I will be using....

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/282169B0922/xs_sight_systems_scope_mount.htm

·
Registered
594 Posts
LeverPuller,
A good friend of mine mounted that exact setup on his 35SS-LTD. It is an awesome rig.

I'm going to put a Nikon 2-7x32 Prostaff on my 35SS-LTD. It's lightweight, very clear and $130. I don't have the funds for the Leupy Scout :? .

·
Registered
736 Posts
Here's my scope setup. Burris Lightseeker 1-4XER scope, Warne Maxima QD rings, custom base, plenty of eye relief and FOV, no hammer spur extension, and good balance.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Taff, I used to hate the idea of a scope on any of my lever rifles. When I finally did scope one, it was with a Leupold 2.5X. I still like the small straight objective scopes on a lever like 1-4X or 1.5-5X, but have since developed an affinity for the 2-7X compact scopes. They are very small and light and dont ruin the balance of the rifle in my opinion. And even though you rarely need the extra magnification, it can help occasionally.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have Big Redhead's Hunter Scout set up on mine. The mount supports a Leupold Vari X II 1-4 X 20. Neat little set up.

SS

·
Registered
336 Posts
I didn't realize so many of you used the scout setup. I guess I am behind the times. Thanks for your comment Duckbill, it makes me feel like I made the right choice.

I hunted with that Bushnell for only one season. I was really being stupid, to say the least, when I installed that 3-9X40 on my 336. I should of known better being my average shot when I hunt around the house here, is only 80 yards.

I, of course, had my scope cranked up to 9 when I was trying to find that buck in it. The buck was only 40 yards away when I spotted him. :roll: .......And I call myself a "veteran" deer hunter! There.. I said it...I have come clean now!

Confession is good for the soul. Now I can move on.

I trust you guys want make me talk about this ever again! :oops:

·
Registered
327 Posts
got a 1.5-4 x 20 bushnell banner on a pictinny rail on my 45/70 works great if your interested taff got a nice unused bushnell 1.5-4.5 x 32 shotgun scope only downside is that it is realtree cammo......... :D

viv

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lever,

I am not against the scout scope concept. Moreover there are ways to cut the weight of the rifle. You could go to a fiberglass stock and forarm to offset the additional weight of the scope. The closer you can come to 7 lbs. the "handier" you will find the rifle.

Unfortunately, I am a cross dominant shooter (strong left eye but right handed). To take full advantage of the scout scope you need to be able to shoot with both eyes open. However, it is still an advantage because it offers no disadvantage over the conventional located scope, and it leaves the action unencumbered.

SM

·
Registered
336 Posts
Scoutman,

I have a friend who has a left dominant eye and right handed. We bowhunted together when I lived in Ga. He went through alot of aggravation until he traded in his "righty" bow for a "lefty" bow. After about six moonths of practice he could out shoot me any day of the week.

fargus080,

Fine looking carbines you have there!!!! Is that XS mount an easy installation?

·
Registered
327 Posts
hi fargus080
is it me or would those 2 scopes look better if they were switched around
........... :D

viv

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for the ideas everyone I am tempted towards the burris of Howie or a sight of that size. I will make a final decision and post the pictures here in due course

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Hey Fargus, what's the story on the TOP gun? Tell me all about it!

Papajohn

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my Spikehorn, I have a red dot mounted on the AO leverscout mount and love it. I think moving the scope foreward makes the gun balance and carry a lot better

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
OK, so it's time to show my ignorance. :oops:
I had kind of discounted a Red Dot sight on a deer rifle. I actually thiught they would be cool but I was led to believe that they were no better than open sights and those should be outlawed for hunting (making ethical shots).
But, here's the deal...the last whitetail I shot was 60 to 70 yards. I can get a 1 1/2 inch group at 50 yards with the open sights on my Model 1936. 8)
I also discounted 3x9 scopes because I'll probubly never shoot a deer over 10 yards. I'd never see him through all the trees and brush.
I was looking hard at a Leupold 2x7. But then I got this Model 1936 in excelect shape and there are no holes to mount a scope. So this is an open sight gun.
My wife said I can't sell it :D so I gotta get another one...maybe a .35 Rem.
But, anyway...back to the subject...of those who have the Red Dot scopes...how do you like them? Quick acquisition? Both eyes open?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Midnight Rider said:
I actually thiught they would be cool but I was led to believe that they were no better than open sights and those should be outlawed for hunting (making ethical shots).
Open sights have been used for years with great success, so I think your comment about ethical shots was in jest. At least I hope it was. My experience is personal. My father took at least 25-30 deer with open sights during his life. He never owned a scope. I have taken 4 with open sights myself, but I've been using a scope for a long time, now.

My experience with Red Dots has been negative. My objective was to get some magnification for identifying horns and to help a little with aging eyesight. I didn't really want a scope on my .35 Rem because deer in my area are usually taken at 100 yds or less and in foliage areas.

I had the TruGlo 2X recommended to me and bought it. Mounted it and tried to sight it in. BTW, it has a 2.5 MOA Dot which is one of the smaller ones. It was a POS and I sent it back for a refund. Parallax was terrible at all yardages as far as I tried it (100 yds). The Dot needed to be fairly bright during normal sunny conditions and it had nearly a "comet trail" at those brighter settings. I compared it side by side with a Mueller (3 MOA) and the Mueller Dot was smaller.

Even with the Mueller there was some parallax, but it was much better than the TruGlo. I've also shot .22's with some of the inexpensive NC Star's (Tasco) and they have parallax problems as well.

I think the lesson is obvious. Don't try to go the cheap route. The TruGlo is about $ 100 and the Mueller is $ 150. Others have told me that you need to go with something the quality of an Aimpoint or it's a waste of $$.

I don't see the big deal about an electronic gadget that requires batteries and needs to be turned on and off to function that provides no magnification. I have extremely fast acquisition with a Williams FP on three rifles to include my .35 Rem. I love them and can easily shoot 1 1/2 to 2" groups at 100 yds with them in all of my rifles.

The ONLY possible advantage as I see it is that you can shoot with both eyes open with them. However, I suspect the disadvantages greatly outweigh that on advantage.

For me it's either aperature sights or a scope. As far as I'm concerned there is no inbetween. Red Dots are a gadget looking for a purpose! :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts