Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
i just ordered a new XS7VH in 308,i have a nikon buckmaster 4-14x42,i'm satisfied of this scope but i think it have too little magnification so i'm looking for change it,can you suggest me a good optic for mid range shooting?I've seen Nikon monarch 6-24x42,sightron 6-24 or 10-50,vortex 6-24x40 and konus m30 with various magnifications...in your opinion wich is the best?
Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are going to be spending that much I would look for a Leupold.
I just looked for leupold but they are more expensive...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Is the bushnell elite good as nikon monarch?Thank you.
Its definetaly in a higher class then the Nikon monarch. Price difference is also about double. You will be good with either the Vortex, Sightron or the Bushnell. Its between the Sightron 8-32 or Bushnell 4.5-30 or Vortex viper pst 6-24 depends on your budget.

·
Registered
37 Posts
SWFA, Super Sniper, MRAD, $299.00. fixed power. Why Spend MORE????

·
Registered
8 Posts
ditto w/ SWFA. Mine is 12x for a hunting/all-around set-up. Never looked back, shot all the way up to 600, and holds up to .308 recoil. OP, can you specify what it will be used for primarily? Hope you remember that its too easy to be over-magnified but under-scoped. In any case, between your choices I would go for the Nikon or Vortex (if FFP). Leupold is local to me, so I really should promote them, but both Nikon/Vortex are really good for the money. Btw, hello everyone, I'm new :beerglass:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SWFA, Super Sniper, MRAD, $299.00. fixed power. Why Spend MORE????
I think swfa aren't available in italy...i only found 1 10x on ebay who ship in italy...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to mid-range target shooting,up to 300 meters.
ditto w/ SWFA. Mine is 12x for a hunting/all-around set-up. Never looked back, shot all the way up to 600, and holds up to .308 recoil. OP, can you specify what it will be used for primarily? Hope you remember that its too easy to be over-magnified but under-scoped. In any case, between your choices I would go for the Nikon or Vortex (if FFP). Leupold is local to me, so I really should promote them, but both Nikon/Vortex are really good for the money. Btw, hello everyone, I'm new :beerglass:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see :) Drawing from my own experience with variable mag scope, I used maximum magnification 98% of the time when target shooting. The other 2% is when I 'lost' the target and needed to zoom out for a larger field of view. Do you think it may make more sense for you to get a fixed magnification scope dedicated for this purpose? Most of your choices are hunting/tactical capable scopes and may not be the most ideal pairing for target shooting.
Here's a list of some fixed scopes used by target shooters (just to shake your choices a bit)

Target Scopes within AccurateShooter.com

I'm sure some of the 36x will fit your purpose nicely, but its a shame that you're limited in terms of getting them shipped to Italy.
Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see :) Drawing from my own experience with variable mag scope, I used maximum magnification 98% of the time when target shooting. The other 2% is when I 'lost' the target and needed to zoom out for a larger field of view. Do you think it may make more sense for you to get a fixed magnification scope dedicated for this purpose? Most of your choices are hunting/tactical capable scopes and may not be the most ideal pairing for target shooting.
Here's a list of some fixed scopes used by target shooters (just to shake your choices a bit)

Target Scopes within AccurateShooter.com

I'm sure some of the 36x will fit your purpose nicely, but its a shame that you're limited in terms of getting them shipped to Italy.
Good luck!
Yas,i've considered some fixed magnification scopes,for example i saw the Leupold FX-3 30X40 but the price of the new is too hig for my budget...hope to find an used one,anyway what's your opinion about this scope?unfortunately most of american sites don't ship outer usa...if you know some that can just tell me;).thank you!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got the Bushnell elite tactical 4.5-30x50. Why? coz its so versatile I have low mag for close range and high enough magnification to see bullet holes on my target at 400m.
Now why would you want a fixed mag scope?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the Bushnell elite tactical 4.5-30x50. Why? coz its so versatile I have low mag for close range and high enough magnification to see bullet holes on my target at 400m.
i think aiming also near with hig magnification is not a problem...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd say the peace of mind of less moving parts in a fixed magnification glass and generally lower cost for decent quality glass.

I myself have 2 setups; One with variable magnification (4-16x) that goes on top of the semi-auto. This is my versatile tool + versatile glass.
The bolt Marlin gets a fixed 12x for simplicity, ease, and reliability. (I want to say ruggedness too, but thats a stretch)

Both rifles get outdoors equally, and I must admit that its nice to have the ability to vary FOV in the field.
However, there are times when I just want to carry light, point and shoot with minimal tinkering with the tools.

Honestly though, I've lusted over higher real variable FFP scope w/complex but awesome MRAD reticles (USO, etc). But I'm neither an operator, nor do I push my tools to the extreme limits in extreme elements, so the cost don't justify over, let's say, saving for reloading equipment/components.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picking up my X7VH 223 today and I need a scope too. Only have $100 left over after buying the rifle. Probably have to buy a BSA or NCSTAR for now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You didn't really say what your intended purpose is for your new rifle. If you can save up a bit I'd get this one:
Bushnell - 4-12x 40mm - DOA 600
I have a pre-XLT trophy (bought about 10 years ago) that isn't currently on a gun and it's a good scope. I've debated about keeping it as a quick backup if I ever have one go bad or just sell it. I recently got this one with the DOA600 reticle and it think it's a good scope for the dollar:
Bushnell - 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
About the best thing to do if buying online is to find the best price you can and then have SWFA give you a better price with their 110% best price guarantee. I’ve done this a few times without issue and they have great CS.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.