Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Golden 39AS and get OK groups with iron sights at 25yds. I tried 2 different scopes on it and the groups get worse. I don't know anything about scoping a 22, don't know the diffenece between rimfire scopes and centerfire scopes. Can I get your opinions and experiences on a good scope for my Marlin?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Shooting off bags or free standing??? makes difference..

Are you sure all scopes good and cross hairs not moving after each recoil .. 22 don't hurt but is a sharp recoil for scope..

1: Makes difference on Tube Guns where the bags are located.. have to be in same place all the time and should be as close to receiver as possible..

2: With a scope you will notice movement lots more , and try to tighten up to compensate for it . that will cause groups to spread..

3: you can use a large optic rifle scope on 22....

4: Same type of ammo... fouled barrel..instead of clean one..

This is just a starting point.. Temp and humidity make difference too..

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
A scope SHOULD tighten the groups over iron sights by a considerable amount. Possible causes of poor groups with a scope are usually a loose mount, or loose rings. A defective scope could be a possibility too- sometimes the scope's reticle is damaged and does not hold zero. Check the rings and mounts....

I've used centre-fire scopes on .22's for years without major problems. The factory usually sets parrallax at 100 yds or more for a centre-fire scope. Scopes made for rim-fire are usually set for a 50 yd parallax.
Good luck with your 39-A and scope...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for suggestions- Shooting from sandbags, same ammo. Rechecked rings and mounts. Will put the scope on another rifle check it out. I always clean the bore after every range session.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Well.. cleaning the bore gets into a toss up.. Some do .. ( I always have and continue to do itl) .. Some don't.. Marlin owners manual says not to clean unless gets wet .....
I sure think if you run some thought it after cleaned like say 20 rds.. then it should be all fouled and shooting the best that ammo will.. .. They sure do like certain kinds of ammo also.... and hate others.. .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts