Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Midway has Leupold scopes on sale. I'm of the senior age group, maybe eye sight isn't the best, certainly way out there anyhow. Haven't hunted deer/elk, not to say I won't. Enjoy targets at 50 and 100 yards. For my 1894SS .44mag, what would scope would you guys recommend and why? ??? Then I got's the 1894C .357/.38 & .45-70!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I have the Leupold Vari-X 3x9 Compact with silver finish on an 1895XLR 45-70. I don't know if they still make that particular model as it's an older scope. Still very clear optics. The only thing I don't like is the adjustment dials don't have the "clicks" when you turn them, but it does have marks to show how far you've moved the dial. Seems to be a good scope.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I like a shotgun scope on the .44s, 1.5-5x or so. The ranges are similar between shotgun slugs and .44s. The lower power ones tend to be more compact and lighter, too.

Stan S.

·
Super Moderator
12,197 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Leupold 1.5-5x20mm scopes. The older Vari-X-III models can be found at decent prices but they don't have click adjustments. The VX-III and newer VX-3 models have repeatable click adjustments and better glass. Incidentally, the second gun from the left is a 1894SS and wears a Skinner peep sight which is good enough for deer out to 100 yards or so.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40 on my '02 1894SS, yes I know the sling is backwards....

Scope is very clear, does a great job in the PA brush.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
For what is essentially a brush gun you don't need a lot of magnification, but I like being able to do accuracy testing with the same setup, so I like the various 2X7 scopes. Mine are mostly Scout (IER) Scopes, with an eye relief of about ten inches, but I also have a really nice Redfield 2X7 that is probably going to wind up on my 1894SS.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have a 1-4x20 Loopy on mine. Plenty of magnification to 100 yards and a huge field of view at lower power. Perfect for my use. I plan on getting a 2-7x33 for my 30-30 due to its extra range.

Just my opinion. Yours may vary! ;D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great input. :) Knowing nothing I have a few questions:
1) What do the numbers mean? How do you settle on a specification?
2) Some shown sit back on the receiver, some forward. What does that mean?
3) Seems I'd need to develop a list of items, scope, covers, mounts and rail? (All matched for the 1894SS)

The Leupold factory is not too far, maybe I should go there for help??
Seems you can spend whatever, thoughts? Some I found on Midway:
o Leupold VX-II Rifle Scope 6-18x 40mm Adjustable Objective Fine Duplex Reticle Matte,Product #:185011
o Leupold VX-II Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Duplex Reticle Gloss, Product #: 212924
o Leupold VX-II Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Duplex Reticle Silver, Product #: 159465
o Leupold VX-I Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Duplex Reticle Matte, Product #: 170729
o Leupold VX-II Ultralight Rifle Scope 2-7x 28mm Duplex Reticle Gloss, Product #: 179325
And the list goes on, you get the picture. ??? ???

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The numbers for example: Let's take a Leupold 2-7x33.

The 2-7 is the magnification of the scope. The 33 is the size of the front opening. The size of the front opening determines the amount of light that can make it through the scope. Typically once you set your mind on the magnification you want, the front opening is somewhat set although you can get bigger front openings for more light gathering but personally I wouldn't worry about that for a general purpose scope.

Here's an example of how I choose the scope magnificaiton.

Generally, you want one magnification for each 25 yards of your maximum planned range. So, for a 44 Magnum rifle, I'd choose something that will get me out to about 100 yards. 100/25 would give me a 4x requirement so I'd go with a 1-4x20 Leupold.

For my 30-30, which has a range of about 175 yards, I'd get a scope that would give me 175/25= 7 power max. That's the 2-7x33 above.

For something like a 30-06 where you can shoot out to 275 yards, I'd opt for a 3-9x scope. Although this isn't quite the 275/25 = 11 power, it's not likely I'll EVER shoot past 225 yards, so the 9x is good enough. This is a very common size for most high power rifles.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Part 2:

Many like more powerful scopes so they can really zero in on a target.

The "standard" fixed power scope is usually a 4x. This is because more magnification also reduces the "field of view" through the scope.

Here's what I always think about when I get a scope:

How far will I be shooting this rifle and at what size game? Then, take the magnification and the range you anticipate shooting to determine how close the "object" will appear to you. Example: You anticipate your furthest shot to be 100 yards and you have a 6x scope. That means an object at 100 yards will appear to be 100/6 = 16.67 yards away. Is this good enough? or do you need more? or less? If you're shooting at squirrels or rats you might want more magnification. If you're shooting at a deer or hog, you might need less.

Your list of things to go with a scope:
Scope rail or mounts. Lots of different kinds.
Scope rings. Do you want to be able to take the scope off easily? if so get Quick release rings.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Part 3:

Some sit further forward due to their basic design. The ones that sit in front of the receiver are called "Scout Scopes" and are sortof a special purpose scope of low magnification and fast target acquisition. They require a special scope base and aren't bad. I have one on my 30-30. I think I like regular scopes better though to be honest. On my 30-30 for example, I also have a set of Williams aperture sights so i can take the scope off and be ready to go with accurate iron sights as well.

Hope this gives you some things to chew on!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have a FXII 2.5X Ultralight on my 1894 44Mag. I like the VXIII 1.5-5x scopes as well. If you want to spend less a VXII 1-4x would be good. Were I to spend less again the Weaver 1-3x would be right there for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Tatersoup and everyone else that's provided input. It's great to have a resource that 'takes the time' for those of us that lack experience. :) :)

So, if I can get this scope for $255 or so, would that work for my situation and be a reasonable price in todays market??
Leupold, LEU VX-II 2-7X33 MATTE DPLX, VX-II 2-7x33mm Duplex (Not sure what this means ???)
Finish: Matte Black, Waterproof/Fog Proof Nitrogen
Overall Length: 11", Weight: 10.5 oz, Additional Features 1: 1/4 MOA Coin Click Adjustments, Lockable, Fast Focus
Additional Features 2: Multicoat 4 Lens System, Power Selector Dial

And yes, I may need to take the scope off, so what else would I need to purchase? Rail, mounts, caps, etc.?? ???

Thanks again everyone!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Duplex: there are many different kinds of "cross hair" designs. The Duplex Reticle is Leupold's name for their standard reticle. If you go to their site, you can see examples for many of them.

The Weaver 63B base is an economical choice for a base. Many manufacturers make a "Quick Release Ring". I like Leupold's but there are other brands. Get the lowest ones you can that will fit the diameter of your scope. You will find guidance on the manufacturer's web site for ring height. As far as caps, that's a personal thing. Uncle Mike's makes some plastic ones that I really like.

Can't speak to the price but $255 looks pretty good. Just shop around.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you can get a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 for 255 grab it. Those generally go for well over 300.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Just scoped my 1894P today with a Bushnell Banner 1.5 X 4.5 on medium Quad Lock rings and a Leupold base. Same scope on my other Marlin levers also. Doesn't play well with your question regarding Leupold however I wanted to throw out another possibility. ;D

1895Gunner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts