Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends. i completely understand not all of you may agree to put a scope on the 1894 44 mag, but i'm going to. I'm using it for deer hunting from a stand at up to 100 yds. i am willing to spend up to $600-$700 if necessary, but would obviously prefer to spend less. I want something high quality and reliable. Any recommendations on a good scope for deer hunting? (I'm leaning towards Leupold). Thanks!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Everyone has their favorites, so you'll get a ton of responses. Stick with low power, a slug gun scope is about perfect for this. 1-4x or 1.5-6x will do fine, My current rig that I've used the last couple of years has a Weaver Classic Extreme with a 30mm tube and a 4A reticle, can read the license plates at the end of the next block at midnight with it. For all of that, all the deer I've gotten with it have been taken mid-day. Cost a couple of hundred from Natchez. It's currently mounted on an XS rail with a quick-detachable lever mount, I also have a Lyman receiver sight for backup.

Looks like the price is up, surprise:
http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?brand=WE&mfgSubGroup=8954

Now is the time for scope shopping, it's the dead season for sales.

Stan S.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hello friends. i completely understand not all of you may agree to put a scope on the 1894 44 mag, but i'm going to. I'm using it for deer hunting from a stand at up to 100 yds. i am willing to spend up to $600-$700 if necessary, but would obviously prefer to spend less. I want something high quality and reliable. Any recommendations on a good scope for deer hunting? (I'm leaning towards Leupold). Thanks!
I agree wholeheartedly. It is almost a sacrilege to place a scope on an 1894. Therefore, if you're going to do it, I feel it should have as clean a look as possible.. Check out this Leupold FX II 2.5 X 20. Perfect for up to 100 yds IMHO.
-Finish: Black Matte
-Reticle: Wide Duplex
-Actual Magnification: 2.3
-Field of View (ft at 100 yd): 39.5
-Optimum Eye Relief (in): 4.9
-Objective Clear Aperture (in): 0.8
-Weight (oz): 6.5
-Length (in): 8.0

I love mine on an 1894 in .357

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
My Vote is 4 a Weaver 1-3 X 20 In Weaver Low Steel Rings on a Weaver 1pc. Mount.
That's what I Have on my 1894C .357 & Love It. Bright, Clear & Wide Field of View.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and PigBat

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I've been using a vintage Japanese Tasco 2.5-5x20 on my 45 Colt CB. It's held up to some 300gr loads that I shouldn't repeat in public. You can spend $700, but I don't think it's necessary. My shooting eye is getting so bad I will probably move up to a 2-7x32.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Had a Leupold 1-4x shotgun scope on mine and it did a good job. I like small 1-4x scopes on a carbine. Makes a lot of sense. However, I found a new home for the 1-4x Leupold (my 336T) and replaced it with an Ultradot 25 on the 1894 which I like even better. Found I shoot just as well with a good red dot at my typical 50 yard 1894 distances and the red dot is smaller, lighter and no eye relief issues, either.

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Whichever Scope you settle on, consider using a set of See Thru Rings
Giving you the option of your Scope and the use of your Iron Sights too
Amazon.com : Wideview Scope Mount WSM-GG See Thru Scope Mount for the Marlin 62, 93, 336, 375, 444, 922M, 989, 1893, 1894, 1895, Glenfield 30, Zane Grey and Mossberg 500 835 (1997 and NEWER) Firearms : Airsoft Gun Scope Mounts : Sports & Outdoors
I have them on my Winchester 190 and had a set on my .308 Browning Belgian BLR
Ergh...

Brocky

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.