Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Leupold scope on my rifle that has seen better days, cosmetically speaking. I spoke to their customer service department and they don't offer refinishing. Does anyone know of a way to refinish the scope without damaging the optics? Is there a company out there who does this sort of work?

·
Registered
157 Posts
What about krylon? Or really any paint that doesn't need baked on. I've seen guys krylon very expensive optics with good results. I know one guy removed it with brakleen so he could change the camo pattern and it came out nice. I would be to chicken to brakleen a scope.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Here's a couple things you might try. Get an epoxy based paint that is used for firearms. Brownell's sells some, and I think you can get them at other places. I have used the stuff on various gun parts like sights, and hammer extensions and it works well. I think the sell it in gloss or matte finish.

The other thing would be truck bed liner spray. That would put a matte textured finish on the scope that might look pretty good.

The main thing is going to be surface prep. Getting a little profile on the surface so the paint bites. Also you are going to have to cover and tape off all of the glass and the adjustment knobs so no paint gets onto or into them. I think it should work, but you are going to cover up any graphics or printing that is currently on the scope.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Did you try it?

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
If you do it post some before and after pics please.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I haven't done anything yet. It's been hectic around here and I haven't been able to get to the shop at all. If I do, I will definately post pictures.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I've never used it but I thought the truck bed liner spray was some pretty thick stuff. Thinking it might be a bit of a problem mounting correctly in scope rings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts