Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always struggled with lining up cross hairs to have the center cross hair vertical. The only almost way was to tape on a paper copy of a 1/32" ruler so I could rotate the scope body 1/16 a 1/32 at a time until all seemed right but even then I had little confidence that they were correctly set. I was about to buy one of those bubble level sets. Now, this method may not be new to you but I just used it and hit the vertical upright the first try!

Found it on YouTube.

go to your compass App on you IPhone. Touch the right hand tiny circle at the bottom of the compass screen and voila you have a 4 axis level bubble tool. Lay the phone on the top of your Marlin receiver and zero out the level front to back and side to side in your gun vise. Once there the screen reads 0 and turns green. You'll probably have to shim the rifle in your gun vise to get the square topped receiver 4-ways level but that is only slightly difficult.

My solid Weaver scope base was on super tight so I used that to zero out rather than the receiver top. Now mount your ring bottoms and the scope. Now set/balance your phone on the top of the elevation knob (the knob cover might be used but could be a bit off). Then rotate the scope until your IPhone screen goes green and your crosshairs are where they are supposed to be. Tighten your ring top halves and you're done! See "Scope leveling with your IPhone" by Stocky on YouTube.

·
Administrator
30,804 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
cool trick! i will have to check that out..

Another fast and easy way I was taught to level a scope in minutes was, if your scope has a flat spot on the bottom, and a flat spot on the receiver is to just slip a ruler or paint stick (anything that will fit in between that has good parallel surfaces) perpendicular between the two, place one edge on the receiver and lift up til the other side makes contact and slightly wedges-makes contact with the scope bottom.
the scope will self level as it makes contact with the ruler. Tighten down, done... It can be done anywhere, any angle, no need to vice or clamp anything. Ive done it in my lap on the couch once..

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I wasn't aware my I-Phone had that feature built in (it's not an app) until a brother recently showed me. I'm sure there are lots of other things my phone can do about which I am also unaware. :embarassed:

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I have a small level that is about 1 1/2 in long that I use. Before I ran across that I used a string level but just sat it on the gun or scope. Using a properly mounted scope helps you learn to hold your rifle right if you practice using it off hand.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I bought the bubble level set. Works pretty good - so good my friends keep borrowing it...

We can't afford those fancy $600 plus I phones. We're still using the old rotary dial phones..:embarassed:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I usually use a set of small magnetic bubble levels...it works okay. Recently I picked up a Segway reticle leveler for less than 20 bucks. I haven't used it yet but the directions seem pretty straight forward and easy.

Handy idea of using a compass app though. Pretty slick.

Reactions: Arkie
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.