Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is there any way to protect the bell of the scope when you can't fit a flip up cover on it? It's a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33. The scope is mounted all the way forward, and the buckhorn sight is folded down. Thanks for any tips. Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lift up the rear sight and remove the little riser thing. Looks like stairs... can't think of the proper name for it.
That should give you some extra clearance.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
From the pic, it looks like the front inch or better of the scope has a gap of about 1/16 - 3/32 inch. I'd think a Butler Creek cap would be awfully close to fitting but if it didn't, I'd just sand or file the thickness of the lens cover base ring flat at the bottom until it fit. You could take half the thickness away with no problems I'm sure.

By the way, what rings and bases are those? Look real good.

Reactions: tbonedave

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Other option would be a one piece base. They hang over the front of the receiver about an inch so the scope would be farther forward. But then you'd loose that nice clean look.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Simple.

Get a set of figure eight (see-through) mounts. Now you can have the iron sight up ready for use and the scope above that.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Personally, I would walk into my local gunshop with marlin in hand ready to test fit whichever ring options they have to offer.

I realize the major retail stores offer price breaks the small shops cannot compete with, however I still make all my firearm purchases at a local level.
What i gain in return for being faithful in my purchases is firearm educated people whom will go out of their way to get me exactly what i want.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Simple.

Get a set of figure eight (see-through) mounts. Now you can have the iron sight up ready for use and the scope above that.

Sold a set of them see through to this guy. ;)

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man, this forum is cool. I ask about an issue, and not only do I get answers, but some really good ones. I'd forgotten about the scope bikinis. I've never tried one, but I have to admit that the flip up covers have kind of bugged me at times. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From the pic, it looks like the front inch or better of the scope has a gap of about 1/16 - 3/32 inch. I'd think a Butler Creek cap would be awfully close to fitting but if it didn't, I'd just sand or file the thickness of the lens cover base ring flat at the bottom until it fit. You could take half the thickness away with no problems I'm sure.

By the way, what rings and bases are those? Look real good.
Dave, I went with Warne bases and rings. My main objective was to mount the scope as low as possible, but after thinking about it, I figured it would be nice to be able to take the scope off without losing it's zero. Also, since the Warne bases are so thin, I can see the sights just fine if I want to do some old school shooting. Thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bikini cover FTW
Yup. I'm leaning that way. I've used the flip-ups in the past, but at times they've gotten in the way. Removing the sight elevator is a good option, though, and I might do that anyhow so I can move the scope back a tad. Not that I need to, but it looks kind of weird all the way forward with the power settings covered up by the rings.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Go to your local tire shop and see if they have a bad inner tube laying around. You can make your own bikini covers. Done it quite a few times.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts