Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shock: :?: Hey fellas, i have 336c in 35 rem. Would the weaver K 2.5 power be a decent scope for this gun ? Anyone know what kind of eye relief it has ? What kind of yardage it would be good for ? Also, is there any kinf of scope bases that would allow you to move the scope a litte more forward than usual without going to a scout scope ? .....thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you are looking for a scope with a longer eye relief look into the shotgun scopes. They have a longer eye relief, smaller overall size and look more appropriate on a lever gun. You can find some for pretty reasonable price. Usually a weaver base for the 336 leaves you plenty of room to move the scope around. Lever guns were designed to get the gun up fast and shoot. Big complicated scopes do not fit this design. Use a scope that fits the character of the gun. Shotgun scopes will also handle the recoil of the heaviest hitters in the lever gun with out cutting your face. The weaver will also work well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Concur totally with Supercrewd. Might add you will probably do just fine with the weaver, it's a good scope. Most people forget, that regardless of scope power, IF the crosshairs are on the target and you are within the pointblank range or have compensated for the range, YOU ARE GOING TO HIT THE TARGET!!! Might give it some thought.

·
Registered
736 Posts
crapaw,

Weaver's website lists the eye relief of the K2.5 as 4 inches. That should be excellent with your 35.

As far as increasing eye clearance of the mounted scope, I have done some modifications on Weaver #63 bases and obtained more clearance. To determine what modifications are necessary, you would have to assemble the scope on the base and gun to determine how much forward adjustment is needed, and determine what is keeping you from moving the scope forward. I suspect interference between the front ring and the scope's w/e turret will be the first hurdle. This means you need to move the forward ring forward. To do that, you must saw the base in half cross-ways just behind the rearmost set of front mounting holes, converting it into a 2-piece base. Then move the "front" base forward and secure it to the receiver using the rear set of front mounting holes. This modification will move the front ring forward quite a bit.

The next obstacle may be interference between the scope's ocular bell and the rear ring. To move the rear ring forward, you need to install a new cross-slot in the "rear" base. This can be done with a small file and careful handwork, or you can set the base up on a milling machine. make the new cross-slot about 0.135" wide by about 0.100 deep. Make sure the leading edges (front) of the new cross-slot are exactly even with each other so the scope ring bears on both and mounts squarely.

Confused? Sorry. A sketch or picture would be appropriate to help explain these modifications. Let me know if I need to make the sketch. The good news is you don't have to spend a ton of money to get the scope where you want it, and if you screw up the first time, the bases are only about $5, so go to Wal-Mart and get another one and start over. If you screw up again, I will make you a custom base of my own design called the Hunter Scout for way more money than it should cost (only because it costs me a lot to make them).

Let us know how you make out.

Live well

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's what a Marlin looks like with see thru rings and a huge scope.

This is my Marlin 30AS that I bought off a co-worker last year. The story goes like this. He had that 30AS for years, but wanted a bigger rifle. He first bought the huge Simmons Pro Hunter 4-12x40 scope for use on a 7mm-08 or 30-06 or some type of big rifle. But he ran short of $$$ for the new rifle but had the scope. So, he figured "what the heck" and had the 4-12x40 scope mounted on the Marlin 30AS. Way too much scope and serious overkill, if you ask me!

Anyway, I bought the rifle, just as you see in the picture, but took off the Kwik Site see-thru rings and sold off the Simmons Pro Hunter on eBay. I kind of like the Marlin 30AS with open sights. It's more lightweight, more manuverable, and just looks like a classic, timeless rifle! 8)

Butch A.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Use the scope and bases to fit the type of shooting you do.. I have leupold mount and rings on a Tasco 3x9 on mine.. but thats what I needed this year for the area I was hunting in.. .. I personally don't like see throughs at all..

I do prefer open sites to all ,, but situations do require using other options at times. :lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just got finished putting a Scout setup on mine, with the XS mounts and a Burris 2.75....what a nice setup!
My eye is about 10" behind the scope and I can hold both eyes open while swinging the gun into position and readying the shot. It has great field of vision and already this year i have been on one deer with it and had a second step into the field of view.....with my old setup this would not have happened at a higher power setting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here is what my Marlin 30AS looks like now (in regards to my previous post with it having the huge Simmons scope on it)...

Now it's just a plain jane Marlin 30-30 and looks and handles like a timeless classic. 8)

What is the overall opinion on see-thru scope rings? I still have the Kwik-site rings and mount screws, but sold the Simmons scope on eBay. Is it better to scope a 30-30 with normal scope mounts or use the see-thru mounts?

Thanks...

Butch A.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
One of the problems I see with the shotgun scopes is the parallax is often set at 75 yards and for shots longet than that it might cause some problems with clarity. You might think about the Leupold 1-4 x 20mm it is a fantastic scope for the leverguns. It has good eye relief is compact and unmatched for clarity. Maby where you hunt you may never get a shot longer than 75 yards, but here on the plains you are often lucky to get a shot at 75 yards. I have the 1-4 on my 1895G and the 336D 35 Rem. I is the perfect match for me. Here is what the 336D looks like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts