Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that in some cases the screws that hold the scope base on have stripped after a few shots and that re-drilling and tapping new holes would be required. I was wondering how common this was and if anyone had any alternative suggestions to remedy the problem?

·
Registered
66 Posts
On mine it was just the screws that stripped the tapped holes on the action were still fine after inspection and this was only after 10 shots. It may very well have been that the screws were over tightened from the factory and that is where the problem started. I am going to try the 6-48 screws again that came with new mount and use loctite on them, if I have the same problem I am probably going to try a larger screw and maybe a more coarse thread like an 8-40. For now the 6-48 holes in action are still ok.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Do not over tighten them and you should be fine.. same as scope rings.. farmer torque is not required or needed and causes most issues with scopes and mounts and sometimes accuracy is lost you can crush a scope tube and they won't adjust or hold center

1 - 5 of 5 Posts