Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forum, i just bought my Marlin 1895 GBL 45/70 few months ago.
I'm looking for a scope suitable for my hunting trek. And I decided a Leupold vx5 1-5x24 with illuminated reticle

Marlin advice me to mount a leupold quick release mounting system with QR ring.

But i really dislike the aesthetic of this mount (lever).

I was thinking about
-two pieces leupold with QRW ring

-leupold standard base with ST ring
-EGW rail with QRW ring

Can you help me ?
If you have some pictures .

Waiting for your answers.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've been hunting with a Marlin '95 since the '70s with a Weaver mount, low Weaver rings and a 1.5X4 Nikon. That puts the scope low on the rifle and lined up for the occasional quick shot. The rings and mount are far from stylish but very functional and very stable. It is my favorite hunting rig and I especially like the low scope mount position.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I used the standard base with low rings when I mounted a VX-R 1.25-4 X 20 on my 45/70 . I take it your scope needs 30 mm rings? Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Air gun

·
Registered
478 Posts
I’ve been happy with DNZ one piece, medium height mounts on my 1895’s.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I use Warne 2 piece steel bases with either Warne QR rings or Warne standard rings on all of my marlins now. Solid(practically bomb proof), repeatable, USA made and I like the looks of them.
Best of luck

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
My personal favorite mount is the Warne 1-piece base which sits slightly lower than the Leupold, Weaver etc offerings. I prefer the Leupold QRW rings to any of the other quick release offerings as they are a little easier to set up and level your scope. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Settled on the medium height DNZ Game Reaper and am quite satisfied. Have one on my shopping list for the 2001 1895GS I picked up in a trade.

Reactions: rlm1 and moofy07

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I use the one piece base on all my Marlins with Leupold quick release rings. You can sight it in with the scope and if you want to use open sights it's easy to take off and then if you put it back on in the same spot you never lose your POI. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay here.

Reactions: moofy07

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
I use the EGW base with Leupold QD mounts and leupold 1.5-5x20mm scope.

Reactions: rlm1

·
Registered
3 Posts
A similar question:

I'm planning on purchasing an 1895 GBL. Replacing the stock sights with the XS Lever Rail w/ Ghost sites. Mounting a Leupold FX-II Scout 2.5x 28mm with QRW-2 1" rings. Do I need to get the medium height rings or would the low rings work?

Thanks!

Been frequenting this sight for a few months now but this is my first post. LOTS of good info on here. Thanks to all.

·
Banned
890 Posts
Just put a Warne 1 piece rail on mine, with Warne low rings and a Leupold VX-2 2-7. Like the one piece as it is solid and aligned, and give you a slight amount more forward mounting.
Do YOU really want qd rings, or are you just following advice? I use Warnes QD's on some rifles and are very happy with them, but don't see the need on a hunting rifle. You have a quality scope, mount it and forget it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.