Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dreaming up what I want for my first Marlin setup, wanna get it all picked out so that as soon as the wife gives the green light it's action 8)

I'm pretty much sold on a 336 in 30-30. I need some help with scope choice.

This will be my first centerfire so it needs to be versatile -- it won't just be for up close and personal stuff (pig hunting being the most popular for lever guns here in Australia), it will also hopefully see some use on goats, fallow deer, foxes, feral cats etc.

For this reason, while I think those 2.5x20 scopes look real pretty on a 336, I'm thinking of going for something like a 2-7x33 to help out with longer shots, and adding QD mounts so I can use open sights if desired (for fun) or if necessary (2x FOV not enough). The extra objective diameter will also help with use when spotlighting (legal except for deer and popular over here) though afaik you can't get smaller objectives in a medium power variable like this anyway?

Is this feasible or is it too big, messing up the handling? Anyone have any pics of a 2-7x33 on a 336?

Also any suggestions on brand? a Leupold VX-I is tempting but will cost almost as much as the secondhand rifle. Something a bit cheaper would be good but not too cheap and nasty. Likewise any suggestions for QD mounts that are affordable but reliable and allow nice low mounting of the VX-I 2-7x33 or some other suggested scope?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sounds like you have a good idea what you want already. No pics but I have the 2-7x33 VXI. I bought it new 3 or 4 years ago. Since then they have been redesigned. The good thing about mine is that it offers 4.9 inches of eye relief on the 2x setting. I mounted it far enough forward that I do not need a hammer spur. The current VXII has the same eye relief as my scope.

In any case, having 7X ability pays off at the range. Havent needed it in the woods or field yet. QD mounts might be nice if the mount low enough. You wont regret paying the extra for the Leopold
Pb

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Looks like you answered your own question. You might look at the Leopold Rifleman 2X7 around $197.00 or the Buris buckmaster 3X9 around $100.00 at Wal-Mart. You will enjoy your 336 no matter which scope you choose. :lol:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Yep either a good choice.. I have the leupold 2x7x33 and love it..

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
I have a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 on my 336C (30-30). I like it very well, I have enough power to shoot groups at the range, and then low enough for up close and personal. The mounts are Leupold Weaver style QD that are excellent at maintaining POA when R&R'ed. Personal opinion would be the 2-7 Leupold rather than the 3x9 Burris, not due to Quality but size. I think the 2-7 / 2.5-8 make a nice package on top of the 336 frame. Once again, personal preferrence, either will work great. If I get time in the next few days and you are still wanting some pics I'll try and post some.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. If you feel inclined azoil I'd love to see some pics... assume the VX-III 2.5-8 is a similar size to the VX-I 2x7 or maybe a little larger (36 objective vs 33)?

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
russell,

I took some pics to post for you, but it must be too early in the morning. I can't seem to figure out how to upload pics to the Gallery. I don't see an upload button anywhere. Is there something I am missing? :?

I posted in the "Questions" category as well.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Well, on another computer some more options showed up on the Gallery page. So here goes:

·
Registered
422 Posts
2x7 Leupold VXII on a 336 LTD in Warne Mounts. This is rock solid and about perfect for a lever gun.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
GLC,

Nice rifle, is it a .35? How does it shoot?

I ask because I am having a tough time deciding on whether to buy a 336 LTD or another 336C in 35 Rem. I know they are all different but my 336 shoots excellent, 1" or less 3 shot groups at 100 yards. :eek:

·
Registered
422 Posts
The pictured rifle is the 336 LTD in 35 Remington. I've yet to try the Hornady Leverevolution ammo in it but am hearing great things about it. All my shooting has been done with handloads using either Hornady 200 RN's or Remington Corelokt 200 RN's. I typically fire 5 shot groups at 100 yards off the bench. Accuracy, on average, is about 2" or slightly less most of the time. I've had some groups around an inch with a flyer putting the group over. The rifle is very handy. I'm going to use it for PA deer at my buddy's place this year. It is thick with laurel and brush and 100 yards would be a real long shot. I think it will be perfect for that. The rifle has been totally reliable and consistent in performance. I like it and wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
GLC,
I think the 5 shot groups are a better indicator of what the rifle actually will do, I was taught on 3 shot groups and find it engrained at this point. I read somewhere probably the Speer Reloading manual, that the truest measure statistically is a 7 shot group. Regardless, I really don't enjoy shooting paper as much as just plinking.

I see you are in Southeast PA. I moved out of PA some 25 years ago with my folks to Wyoming and then on to Arizona. I first started hunting in PA and have longed to go back for a deer season - just haven't been able to work it out.

For the kind of distances you will encounter, sounds like you are well covered with the LTD. I have mostly been using bolt guns for the last 25 years in the typical "long range" calibers, but I am really enjoying shooting the 336 - enough that I will soon be adding to it. I found a place that has the 336LTD for $479 plus $17 shipping. Seems like a real good price just can't decide on it or another 336C or oddly enough, a Rem 7600 Carbine from Grice.

So many choices out there................ :?

·
Registered
422 Posts
azoil-

I've always shot five round groups out of habit. I've often thought however that three round groups aren't all that bad. I mean really, how often do you have the opportunity to get more than one or two rounds off at an animal before you either hit it or miss it and it gets away.

As far as PA hunting goes for me, I actually live just inside the shotgun only area for deer. I have a Marlin 512 that covers that area.

My friend has a place in Schuylkill County which is west of Allentown, thats rifle area where I'll be using the 35.

I also have a cabin in North Central PA's big woods area. I use a bolt rifle around there in 280, 7mm Mag, or 308 Winchester because shots there can get long depending on where you are.

$479 is an awesome price. I paid $529 for my LTD. Some are going for much more than that.

Good shooting.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Here are mine:

Top is my GG with a Leupold VX1 2.5x5, on a one piece Leupold mount. Below that is my new 336C in .35Rem with a Tasco PDP2 on an XS Scope Mount. The 336 has as XS ghost ring for when I'm not using the red dot scope.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Fargus,
Beautiful wood on those.
What kind of recoil pads do you have on installed on them?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Sidespin said:
Fargus, is that a 45/70 GG?
Yes, indeed, the Rhino gun. :mrgreen:
azoil said:
Fargus,
Beautiful wood on those.
What kind of recoil pads do you have on installed on them?
Thanks, I really like the pattern on the 336. I have a Pachmayr decelerator on the 1895G and a Limbsaver on the 336C. Don't think I really need it on the 336 tho. With the recoil pad it feels like nothin' :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts