Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love some advice on the best scope/mounting options for the 338MXLR. Any product/part numbers would be appreciated. I typically see deer late in the day with minimal light. Most shots are taken at 100-150 yards.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Welcome from the Ozarks of Arkansas
I don't have a 338MXLR, but I do have a 308MX & I installed a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 with Accu-Range on mine
Good Quality scope for the money, made in USA by Leupold, lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi usd,

I mounted a Leupold Mk. 6 (1.5 - 5 X 20) in Weaver low "Quad Lock" rings on a Weaver base. I really prefer a scope as low on the receiver as I can mount it, and this works just fine for me. I mounted that particular scope simply because it is what I had, but I find it works as well on my 338 MX as it does on any "tactical" rifle. I prefer a light, small scope; so, I mounted a Leupold FX - II (2.5 X 20) Ultralight on my 375 in Weaver low rings on a Weaver base. I find this configuration to work superbly for me.

Happy Fathers' Day!
Rushbeau

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I ran a 3x9 40mm Nikon Prostaff in Leupold medium rings and Leupold Base on my .308MX and it did great in low light conditions!!!!

Reactions: XMAN

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread as I will soon have a 338mxlr of my own.
What I was thinking about was something on QR rings and back up gost ring sights.
Kinda like on my other Marlins. Though I love the scout scope. I don't think a scout scope would be the best scope for 338.
Maybe a full lever rail with medium rings would clear the ghost ring? But then would the scope be to high for a proper cheek well?
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Air gun

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
I put a Leupold 2-7x33 on my 338MX at first. Shot it for awhile and decided I didn't like the combo.
Moved the Leuy back to my 308MX and put a 4-12x40 Redfield Revolution on the 338MX.
I liked that combo so much I acquired a 3-9x40 Redfield Revolution for the 308MX.

The rings on both are Redfield, which I bought not knowing they weren't part of the Leuy team.
Well even though they are made in china, they still hold zero after several hundred rounds through both.

Mounts are Weaver, same as the 336, and can be picked up about anywhere for 7 or 8 bucks.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I seem to like Nodrama 43 setup best. Do you have the part numbers for the base and rings available? My MXLR is SS so I would need to eventually get grey ones

·
Administrator
30,586 Posts
First up, welcome to Marlin Owners Usd41686.

Nodrama43 has a great scope on his Marlin. I have both Express Marlins, a 2007 JM 308MX and a 2008 JM 338MX. The later came with a Bushnell Banner 3-9X40mm which used Leupold STD Marlin 336R 1-pc and STD 1-in Medium rings (medium rings needed for clearance). The Bushnell scope is fine but would not be my choice to mount. I love how well lever rifles handle but this particular scope somewhat hinders the handling some. Nor do I need that much magnification. I think the VX-3 2.5-8x36 is a happy medium but they're a tad pricy. I'm beginning my search for a 3-9X32 or 33mm scope otherwise I might stick with what I put on my 308MX.

That said, it really depends on ones eyes what power of scope to go choose. My 308MX I chose a Redfield Revolution 2-7X33mm with Accurange rectile and I love this scope. It does very well in low light, its profile is small and in no way hinders the great handling of lever rifles yet offers plenty of magnification for my eyes. I have a self imposed range limit of 300YDS for taking game but could easily stretch that distance should I need to. I used Weaver mounting rail (63B) with Weaver 1" low rings. This set up slams the scope to the barrel which helps in accuracy as well as handling.

I will be changing my 338MX scope and mounting set up when I get around to it. Best thing you can do is look through the scopes you are thinking of to make sure your eyes like them. They all have subtle differences plus their respective prices have diminishing returns for the ability of what your eyes see.

You mentioned using grey rings and mount on your SS XLR. Just another opinion but l really like the contrast of black scopes and rings on them, I think it highlights the stock well, FWIW.

Below are a pictures of both, just click on the image to enlarge.

Jack

338MX
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Air gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

308MX
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Shotgun

Reactions: Nodrama43

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I may be going off the deep end here but for a 338, Id get some serious glass. The 338 round is ment to have it legs stretched. Why buy a 100-150 yard scope for a round that can do 300+. If it was me, I would go no less than a 4x12x40. I just purchased Nodramas 308mx and this is what Im looking at. The 308 and 338 are the long distance hitters for Marlin. Why not use em. I can shoot 100-150 with a 30-30 or 444 or a 45-70.
So my vote is something big for the these long distance rifles in the Leopod flavor.

Hayden.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
good info from all
. I agree with Hayden that the 338 has fairly long range capabilities but a 4x12 is a bit too much for me. I split the difference with an old Leopold VX 1 3-9 x 40. Ranges can be quite long at the club but, I don't extend beyond 300 yds... Just no need. It's really individual preference, fortunately there are many right answers.
Ss

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
base is: Leupold #: 49987

rings are: Leupold Standard Mount STD 1" Medium Rings Matte Black 49901

Hayden glad you are liking the 308mx. I hope the rifle shoots as good for you as it did for me.

I went with the vx-3 for the quality of the glass, but I am having a dial built by Leupold that will let me dial and hold dead on out to 500 yards. I doubt I will ever shoot anything at that distance and frankly I need much more practice before I would even try it. I really like the balance of the 22 inch barrel and the 2.5-8x36. As soon as get the concrete work around the pool done I am going to start some serious load development for the 338.

·
Administrator
30,586 Posts
Quietman, your Marlin is truly a stunner! The more I look at the Leupold 2.5-8X36mm the more I think the profile strikes a very good balance with the 338MX. The magnification could be perfect for it as well.

Jack

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The more I look at the Leupold 2.5-8X36mm the more I think the profile strikes a very good balance with the 338MX. The magnification could be perfect for it as well.
Jack
It also physically balances well with the rifle. Balance point on mine is the same as w/o the scope. Of course that depends on how far fwd or back you have to position the scope for your eyes.

You can even use Weaver low rings with the 36mm and not have to remove the rear sight, just the ramp. (Weaver lows are the lowest mounts made for the weaver base)

Talked to a guy from a shooting team in Australia with a number of 1st places. He said the scope of choice for the team he's on is the 2.5-8 Leupold.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I used Talley stainless mounting system with the integral rings. This looked & preformed great! I took this set up off when I sold the rifle, the new owner wanted to go a different route. Now they will be collecting dust waiting for me to snag a stainless Marlin again. These may end up in the classifides in the NEAR future! My scope was a Weaver 2X10X38. More scope than I usually put on a gun but it caught my eye.

1" Marlin Models 336-1895 (Low) (Silver) - Talley Manufacturing

·
Registered
257 Posts
I went with the alloy mounting rail, milled off the last inch or so and drilled and tapped on a Williams peep and fitted a Merrit adjustable aperture.
Above this lives a Leupold 3_9 x 50
This is great for first thing in the morning misty light or twilight. If the hunting is in close quarters I can flip off the scope and use the peep.
I had a pad made up that fits over the butt and have a foam insert to pad up the comb. Gets covered with a Velcro on flap and really looks the goods.
Best of both worlds.
There is a post somewhere on the express page that gave me the idea.
I will go look for it now and hope I don't get distracted. So much good info on this forum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.