Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: A newbie to Marlin levers here. I'd like to buy a nice old Marlin to shoot mild cast loads with. I prefer 38-55 but am open to 30-30 as well. I'd like to know about what serial # range marked the end of octagon barrels and crescent buttstocks. I like the look of these old classics but the earlier model 1936's that still have the case colored receivers look nice as well. What years was the 38-55 chambering offered in either of these rifles? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you and regards...Quadra

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Quada. For the older rifles (pre WWII), I think it was around the early to mid 1930s when Marlin stopped using octagon barrels. I have a Model 93 short rifle in 30-30 cal with 20" octagon barrel from that period. It has a crescent buttplate too. Also have a 1941 made Model 1936 in 30-30 cal. Both have case colored receivers which I agree look really nice on these guns. Not sure what years the 38-55 cal was offered.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you are going to do alot of shooting I would get the 30-30. Ammo can be bought off the shelf about anywhere. 38-55 is expensive and nearly unavailable.

I thought I wanted a 93 in 38-55 and quickly decided I wanted to shoot more readily available ammo, so went the 30-30 route... Even reloading the 30-30 is easier in my opinion. Which I do.

Cannot help much on the configuration. My 1906 or so has a round and no crescent..Does not help you much though I suppose..

It is neat to have the obsolete calibers and I have some others but for shooting I prefer a 93 in 30-30...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.