Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know die hard fishermen can’t stand the scallop crowds. But scalloping is a great family activity.
. Get those kids out there and make lifelong memories. Cause as mine is going into the Airforce they will be gone before you know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,712 Posts
I have been wanting to do that with my family for a couple of years now. Do you know of any good charters? It would be fun to tie this in with a trip to Sea World since they all love going there and the crowds are much better than Disney.

·
Super Moderator
14,159 Posts
Sure is and Steinhatchee will be full of boats trucks and people. I was over there last year on the first weekend doing something other than fishing and it was crazy. I usually avoid that area the first couple of weeks of scallops. I have family that owns Roy's Restaurant and they are slammed most of the season.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been wanting to do that with my family for a couple of years now. Do you know of any good charters? It would be fun to tie this in with a trip to Sea World since they all love going there and the crowds are much better than Disney.
I don’t know any in particular. But contact Seahag marina and they should be able to help you. But if you have your own boat. It’s not that hard. I can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure is and Steinhatchee will be full of boats trucks and people. I was over there last year on the first weekend doing something other than fishing and it was crazy. I usually avoid that area the first couple of weeks of scallops. I have family that owns Roy's Restaurant and they are slammed most of the season.
Yeah the idiots are usually done by the third weekend.

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
One of the highlighted memories of my 36 years in Maine was Scallop Season 1985, launching my 15ft Crestliner over the ice cakes at Lamoine Beach and diving for scallops about a half a mile offshore. Beautiful February days in Maine, dressed in a snowsuit, sitting in the sunshine shocking scallops...just a small part of what has been a grand life.

·
Super Moderator
14,159 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,532 Posts
From the looks of it they grow a lot bigger in New Hampshire then they do in Florida.

Yep! Sea Scallops vs. Bay Scallops. I use an air lift bag to get a full catch bag of Sea Scallops to the surface. We are in about 45 ft of water, can be as much as 75 ft. They are tasty and worth the effort. Right now they go for $9.99 a pound, come winter that price can more than double.

·
Registered
400 Posts
We can only take scallops over 4" so if it fits through a ring of 4" pvc pipe it goes back in the water.
20 per person with a maximum of 100 per boat per day.

·
Super Moderator
4,532 Posts
Our limits are 3 and a half inch shell height minimum, 75lbs of meat or 625lbs in the shell per person each day. The best day we’ve had was 33lbs of meat. It’s nearly impossible to hit the maximum limit, we are diving in 45°F water. I usually do 3-4 100 cubic inch tanks and we are breathing Nitrox (EAN).

John M, do you dive or dredge for them?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I will still dive occasionally but mostly look after the boat and let the young ones get wet. I dredge sometimes but having seen the damage done to the seabed only when the weather is not safe for diving.
Much quicker to get the limit diving.

Reactions: Kendawg

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
This year the season in Gulf county Fl is August 17 -Sept 30. Yep all the rentals and campgrounds will be full Last year the season got moved, they closed the season the day before it was supposed to open. I have relatives that I only see in scallop season.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.