Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what add on cheek pad would you recommend for a SBL? I mounded a scope on my SBL and the scope sits high. I have to pull my face off the stock to look down the scope. Will this have a major impact on accuracy?

I am thinking about adding a cheek pad so I won;t have to pull my face off the stock. Can you recommend one?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I would try lower rings first, but the guide scope configuiration on an SBL seems like that would be the way to go. Tight to the barrell and no need for cheek rest. I tried a standard scope on my gs and did not like it either. Went to a guide gun scope and that was much better. It lined up perfect and shot well. I used that set up for load development. Currently I have forgone the scope and now use peep sights with screw in apertures. They work better for my purposes as I don't take shots past 125yds. Hope that helps.
JB

·
Super Moderator
17,255 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
One reason I like a 2-7 x 32mm. This is the biggest bell I can mount and still clear the barrel, but not so high that I have to raise my head.

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea the sbl has a pretty good drop to it.... how much does pulling your face off it affect accuracy? I looked at the pictures thread here and it seems a lot of people have them mounted similar as to mine.

I think add on cheek pad may be my route.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Raising your face will only effect accuracy if you can't repeat the cheek weld at the time of trigger drop. You can hold a gun anyway you please as long as its repeatable. When I take new shooters out I don't care about POA vs POI as long as they're grouping. If can make a repeatable "cheek" weld from your chin, go for it! First I'd recomend a lower set of rings and if you can't do that, you've probably got a objective bigger than absolutely needed for a 45/70.

Reactions: JBledsoe

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have low rings on my GS with a Bushnell Elite 1.74 x 4 30mm scope with a straight 30mm objective. I still use a cheek pad for a better weld shot per shot. I use a simple synthetic one from MidwayUSA (thier brand name) that also has ammo loops on the offside. They have others by Blackhawk, etc. You can check out their web site. I have them on most of my straight stocked guns. They definitely improve my shooting, plus help a little with recoil on the boomers.

·
Registered
402 Posts
On the SBL I had I used weavers grand Slam lever Lock with low rings with a scout scope,your face was glued to the comb,the way it should be with a scope,they were about 35-40 bucks at Gander Mountain ,Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts