Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the same rifle I sent back to Remington with the apparent cracked receiver last year. I have been shooting ever since and enjoying the ride. From jbledsoe suggestions last spring I put on an old enfield ladder site and shot it all summer. I did not like the ladder site as I could never get the hang of long range settings and decided to change for the fall hunting season. I bought an xs lever rail with a Hi-lux scout scope. I had it sighted in at 100 yds and it seemed ok. While checking the accuracy before hunting I found that the scope would not adjust enough to keep it on target at 100yds, it was shooting 10 inches low and adjustments were played out. I set the gun down and grabbed the 30-30 to finish deer season and busted a nice 6 pointer.
I have since been playing with my new friends the 32 special and the new ruger #1 (45-70) since January and have left the 1895 alone.
Then along came 9mmfan with an offer for a really nice leather butt cuff with an eagle on one side. I really liked it and wanted it but Click Click beat me too it. I was sad until I contacted Terry directly and he was gracious enough to want to make another just like it but for my 1895. What an awesome fella he is and provided play by play on his making this butt cuff. It only helped me and my excitement and anticipation. Well now I had a problem, the 1895 would have a new dress but still would not shoot straight without some serious tear down and rebuild work for the rail/rings/scope.
That’s when the customization bug bit me. I found out the rail was not tight on the receiver end and the screw would not draw tight enough to hold the base solid against the top of the receiver without going too deep into and interfering with the bolt. I eventually solved this by filing down the screw and placing a small washer under the screw head.
I started to break the rifle down and took it apart for a full house cleaning and polishing the internals. Once apart I decided I could not stand the stamped checkering on the stocks and it had to go. So out came the sand paper and attacked the butt first, then the forearm. The wood was really nice on the forearm the butt just straight grain but still looks nicer without the stamping. And then that is when the customization took over and I decided I really liked the perchbelly feel on the 32 spl. Well folks yes I did, I made a perch belly out of my forearm on the 1895, much thinner and smaller than the 32 spl but fits my paw like a glove.
Believe it or not the wood under the stamped checkering was very nice and really turned out nice. I used tru-oil on top of a walnut stain for the finish, the butt cuff is from one fine enabling MO member and he is to blame for this whole mess! Oh yeah there are others I could call out like Click click, msharley and others. I sure hope click click does not read this thread and see my butt cuff because mine looks nicer than his, don’t want to get him fluffed up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Good work on the refinishing. That is some of the prettiest wood that I've seen on the forearm.

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey MrG,

Wow! Your 1895 sure turned out nice!

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
Welcome to the Eagle Club, Guvna......I see you found out how to get one past me, very sneaky. ;)
Terry does some beautiful work doesn't he, although you're a little confused about whose got the best looking one. :flute: Oh, the matching slings are awesome too.

Nice job on the rifle, that gives me some hope for dealing with a Remlin press checked straight grip stock that I bought as "new" old stock from a distributor whose idea of old stock wasn't as old as I had hoped it was.

·
Registered
137 Posts
exactly what i have been thinking about doing with mine... remove check and slim it down some! great job and i'll be needing a but cuff myself i think!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Geoff, man that really turned out nice! Really sweet figuring on the forearm! It was really nice hearing from you the other day. Yep, I'm about 1.5 ish hours west of you. We should keep in touch. Always room for a good shooting friend! Going to get my smith to look at my new SBL. Get that barrel looked at before I call Marlin for a return trip to be corrected. Not used to the ghost peep/front site yet, have another set of eyes line it up to be sure.

2014 1895 SBL
1974 T4 S
1969 336 35 Rem
1979 336 35 Rem
35 Team # 523

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
wow! between that sweet looking butt cuff and the nice job you did on the lumber, i'd say you have yourself a beautiful looking shoulder cannon there guvna! you and 9's handiwork flow together wonderfully like the wood and leather were chosen to compliment each other from the start!

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
That's pretty sweet!!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Good lookin rifle and some nice figure in the forearm wood! Ya done good! :congrats:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My 1895 has always reminded me of a perch belly 336 SC rifle, just because of the fat forearm and the 3/4 magazine tube it has. I really like it. Yours looks great!

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Really nice work! Beautiful wood on a rifle is just the way things oughta be. There isn't a synthetic stock made that can compare with what you have.

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wanted to give an update on this re-conditoned Remlin. I was at the farm this weekend and in between rain storms I tiook the 1895 out to site it in. I must have gotten the bugs worked out as I had it sited in at 50yds with a post as my shooting stabalizer. so I moved out to 125 yds and ended up at 2-3 inches high at 125 yds. I was using the elmer keith load of 400 gr speer over 53 gr of imr 3031, paul mathews and ken walters also rave about this load. I am here to tell you it was more accurate than I am.....................I have a Hi-lux scout scope on an xs rail and usually can get 2 inch spread factory ammo at 125 yds, today i shot three conseutive shots and they clover leafed the target. I was amazed but thrilled with the results. i somehow wonder if it was the Eagle Butt Cuff that made the difference...............

I also had put together some reduced loads based on Ken Waters and blue dot. I need more work here but appeared they were all shooting about 4-6 inches lower than the full bodied loads and the recoil was equal to a 22 hornet, almost nil.. I can't wait to develop some more of the lighter load but I am pretty sure the Elmer Keith loads will hunt with me this fall...........

I have plenty or reloading to do in the next few weeks as the next farm trip will be the first weekend in May.

·
Administrator
28,335 Posts
mrguvna, great post and well written.

Well, that certainly turned out spectacular. What an improvement over the shoddy press checkering! HA!

Good work and I will be looking forward to a range report on how well it shoots now. :biggrin:

Jack

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
sharp lookin' rifle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts