Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out looking at a job today, and run across this smith&wesson 10-6, 38 with 4' barrel. Ive always liked my dads and now Ive got one too. Cant wait to get her out to shoot. Looks like Id learn to stick with one caliber. I havent had a 38 in awhile, but have enjoyed them in the passed. Shes got a good looking bore, and good action. just a liitle holster wear.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Very nice, I have been bit by the smith bug lately and ended up with a 10-5. I really did not know what it was, it was in estate sale. I have a couple of freckles on the trigger guard where someone handled it and did not wipe it off. Makes it where you do not worry so much about carrying it and using it.

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
The Model Ten was the one that got me back into accumulating Smith & Wessons, I had a pencil-barreled 10-5 that I was issued, and ther trigger was so good I started shooting it more than any gun I owned. I developed an addiction to shooting bowling pins, and the Model Ten was the one I used more than any other, because the DA trigger was so smooth. Over five years I ran almost 70,000 rounds through that gun, 30,000 in one year alone, back when bowling pins were free and I could load 38's for about $75/1000. Ah, the good old days!

I see your gun has the bull barrel, some folks like the pencil-barrel guns better but I think most folks shoot the Heavy Barrel version better, more weight ahead of your knuckles allows for less recoil and faster follow-up shots. Might as well stock up on .38 Spl components now, before the hoarders get there!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Sweet, Very Sweet. Thanks for sharing with us. Have fun at the range. They are great little guns.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

Reactions: plumbernater

·
Registered
211 Posts
she is a beauty, I had a smith that looked very much like that in the early 70's but can't recall what it was. I am sort of older and don't always remember all the specifics of guns Ive owned. Anyway it was the sweetest shooting wheel gun I owned and I think you will probable have a great time with her.

Turns out it was a model 19, I saw it in a movie today and looked it up on the movie database. lord that was one accurate revolver.

Reactions: plumbernater

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Aww Yeah" sweet looking 10~6 , I have my Father n law's Forth Worth PD First issue pistol .... A .... S/S 4 in Model 10~8 S&W 38 special CTG . It has the Bomar Ramp sight's installed on it , and it's a Deadly little Shooter Still to this day . It's had a MANY a Round's through it through the years . It has the Heavy Bull Barrel on it , and Always a fine piece to shoot @ the range . He handed Several" of his weapon's down to be on his Passing , about 5 years ago now . Gordon was a 53 and 1/2 year Veteran of the Forth Worth PD , and a Shriner of his Lodge . I'll see if I can get a picture or two of the 10~8 and repost in on here .

Magnum6

DSC04130.JPG DSC04131.JPG

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have one also, mine was a police trade in, made in the middle 70's. Great shooter, seems to be regulated to POA and POI with 158 gr. standard velocity loads. I shoot a lot of my hand cast Lyman 358311 RN over a standard charge of Bullseye. Great guns, they seem to shoot mostly as well as my Colts. Same ammunition, same regulation.

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I have one also, mine was a police trade in, made in the middle 70's. Great shooter, seems to be regulated to POA and POI with 158 gr. standard velocity loads. I shoot a lot of my hand cast Lyman 358311 RN over a standard charge of Bullseye. Great guns, they seem to shoot mostly as well as my Colts. Same ammunition, same regulation.
I this one 10~6 I have was born in the middle 60's , and I also shoot a load in it real similar to the one you use Guesser . The bullet I use is made by Berry bullets . It's also a 158 Gr. round nose , but copper Plated . I use a load of Tite Group powder in that one of >>> 3.2 Gr's. Bullet is seated at 1.475 and I use a Lee Factory crimp die on the load . They spit's out of the 10~6 barrel at 815 ft. per sec. Real nice Light load . The gun is Absolutely perfectly matched with those Bomar Ramp sights , and man they all Sure try to go through the same hole at the target . Best most accurate wheel gun I've ever had in my hand . I sure like this cotton picker of mine I tell ya that ....

Magnum :tee:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts