Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if these are any good. Nothing on their speed.

.22 Super Colibri 20gr Ammo, 500 Rds Super-quiet 20-grain bullet in a brass case, does not contain gunpowder. Fires from the force of the primer only. Great for use in urban areas. Will break glass and penetrate hard tin cans. AMM-066 $14.97
$12.97

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
They will break glass, but as far as penetrating hard tin cans, you better be point blank range. Any further than a couple feet, and they'll bounce right back at you!
I bought a couple boxes to shoot in my back yard at critters, and they drop really fast! Tough to hit what you aim at, or kill it if it's over 20 feet away, or as big as a cat. My pellet gun hits harder.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have also heard some complaints about the bullet lodging in the barrel. :shock:

G

·
Sorry to disagree guys but 200+ pesky squirrels mostly head shots at 13-15 yards will no longer eat and destroy my wifes bird feed and feeders. 5 today alone. Try the "Super Colibri's" at an advertised 575 fps, quiet and deadly if you do your part and sight in the gun for them, easy at that cost for 500....<><.... :D

G

·
P.S. I have found they do best with a "Micro-Groove" barrel. They will not function the action of my Model 60 semi auto but feed reliably through the action, I just have to function the action manually between each shot, easy!!! Try the Super Colibris in your Model 60 Marlin with a scope, sight it in and shoot at about 10-15 yards at vermin/pests and have a ball, quietly....<><.... :D

G

·
P.S. I have found they do best with a "Micro-Groove" barrel. They will not function the action of my Model 60 semi auto but feed reliably through the action, I just have to function the action manually between each shot, easy!!! Try the Super Colibris in your Model 60 Marlin with a scope, sight it in and shoot at about 10-15 yards at vermin/pests and have a ball, quietly....<><.... :D

·
Registered
932 Posts
Anonymous said:
Sorry to disagree guys but 200+ pesky squirrels mostly head shots at 13-15 yards will no longer eat and destroy my wifes bird feed and feeders. 5 today alone. Try the "Super Colibri's" at an advertised 575 fps, quiet and deadly if you do your part and sight in the gun for them, easy at that cost for 500....<><.... :D

I agree, the super colibri are great for what they were designed for. Quiet and accurate at close range.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
colibri

I believe this is the same ammo as 'CB caps'. They're very quiet when fired from a bolt-action. Here, Kitty kitty kitty! :twisted: SW

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've heard these rounds were recommended for pistols only (shorter barrels, no clogging)

Perferator

G

·
Perferator said:
I've heard these rounds were recommended for pistols only (shorter barrels, no clogging)

Perferator
That is for the regular colibri, the super colibri is no problem in rifle barrels.

G

·
I have used both of these in my basement 19 yard range, using a bolt action rifle. I have been very careful and neither has had a problem with the bullets lodging in the barrel. They are fun to use and my grandkids under close supervision have enjoyed shooting them. I have used them only for making holes in paper.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. Decided to give them a try ( I have an old seven shot 22 pistol if one of the rifles doesn't like them) so broke down and bought 4000 rounds to see how they work. Box came in today so guess I need to dig out the various 22's and see what works. Hoping for a crow round so I can get more song birds back, without getting the neighbors ticked off. Have to see what I can set up for a range as I have a granddaughter who should be taught how to shoot.

G

·
About this "lodging in the barrel" thing, I've never tried the new Super Colibris, but I never had one of the old 350fps Colibris lodge in a rifle barrel. I've had a lot of fun with them in my 25N and Henry. I love the looks on folk's faces when I fire one. They think I've had a mis-fire and get right puzzled when I eject an empty.

I don't know about tin cans, but when the distance got much beyond 25 feet or so, they'd go in one side of a pop can and stay in there. At the range, there's a definite time lag between firing and bullet impact on the target at only 25 yards. I can actually hear the thing hitting. It's weird. And funny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts