Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in at the local gun shop today and saw a brand new REP stamped 336 in 30-30. I was very impressed. The wood was very nicely checkered. The wood to metal fit was VERY good. The front of the wood mated up with the back of the reciever so well I could not see any light between them like I have on ALL of my Marlin made 336's except for one. Bluing was a nice deep dark blue. The action was smooth and worked nicely.

I think I am going to be looking for Remington made Marlins more often.

John

·
Banned
430 Posts
I'll give credit too...Finally. I handled a new 44 mag today that was smooth as glass and had the best wood I've seen it ten years. Its going to take more than that to boost my opinion because they should all be that way.

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Your one of the first I've heard give a good report on them!!!!Everything I have heard wasn't sounding too good but it's good to here a good report maybe they are getting them lined out!!!!I haven't seen any Remington made Marlins around my neck of the woods yet!!!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Makes me think that they are all probably this good. (of course there are some lemons in every bunch). There are just some people who are perpetually negative people that like to bad mouth whenever they think they have a reason.

John

·
Registered
429 Posts
Remington is a large company and spent a lot of money when they bought the Marlin line and don't want to lose money. They will have some growning pains, but altimately they are bound to get it right and looks like they have. I hope they continue this and repair or just replace all the lemons they allowed out the doors when they first took it over.

·
Banned
430 Posts
Nope, they ain't all that good. The 44 I handled yesterday was about number sixty for me.

Hopefully it will pick up.

·
Contributing Member
11,645 Posts
jpickar said:
Makes me think that they are all probably this good. (of course there are some lemons in every bunch). There are just some people who are perpetually negative people that like to bad mouth whenever they think they have a reason.

John
The only pure Remington's I've handled so far have been W's and they have all been poor at best.

I'm glad we're starting to read more good reports though and as I've said many times, I hope Remington rights the ship.

·
Banned
430 Posts
"perpetually negative"

I don't know how someone can make a statement like that. I've handled enough of these in my area to say as of right now, a good one isn't the norm.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I can say the statement because that is what I saw.

Some people are just negative by nature. And, well, ....they just need a kick in the a$$ to get thier attention that all this negativity is just that a negative attitude.

Thanks for the PM there, (person to remain un named), I agree there is too much negativity here on the new Marlins. They might be anti gunners disguised as Marlin owners. :eek: ;D ;D

John

·
Banned
430 Posts
;D I've posted a couple of good post. I'm not giving my evaluation with a biased attitude, I'm just simply reporting the hands on truth of over sixty rifles I've handled as of today.

"perpetually negative" is usually a term reserved for upper level management to gloss over crap.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

I have looked at only 7 Remington Marlins. All were substandard. If truth is what you want it to be does that mean that if I close my eyes and imagine them perfect, then they would be? ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
jpickar said:

John
I don't think that the folks are perpetually negative, per se, but I do think the folks on this forum are a lot more particular in the fit and finish of a gun than is the typical man off the street. A lot of folks would be just fine with the guns that we have a problem with. I'm very particular. That's why contractors hate working for me. I want it done perfectly. What a lot of people accept as good, is unacceptable to me. That's how it is with the folks on this forum.

Now I will say I've run across a few "perpetual whiners" but that's a whole different subject! ;D

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
jpickar said:

John
i see plenty of guns all the time. i work in a shop selling firearms 5 days a week. i havnt seen a good marlin from remington yet. ive not been called perpetually negative before either but i have been called a stickler. agreed i have seen buggered up marlins since forever but not every single one like the new remington marlins. i must say if remington is crankin out some nice marlins id love to be the first to let you know. untill then call me perpetually negative. i would love to beleive ya but so far remington has screwed up the marlin lever action as we know it, not just the 336, but the 1895,1894 and 336. also the xl7 line has had some issues spring up as well that were never an issue previusly. i doubt they could have fixed all those quality issues just like that.

·
Registered
549 Posts
jpickar said:
Well I can say the statement becasue that is what I saw.

Some people are just negative by nature. And, well, ....they just need a kick in the a$$ to get thier attention that all this negativity is just that a negative attitude.

Thanks for the PM there, (person to remain un named), I agree there is too much negativity here on the new Marlins. They might be anti gunners disguised as Marlin owners. :eek: ;D ;D

John
Apparently that negative attitude also causes Marlin 338MX/MXLR owners to sight their rifles into the dirt at 25 yards. ;D

I understand what you're saying, but I think it unnecessarily discredits the many members here who have troubles with their recently purchased Marlins. I'm glad you handled a nice Remington-made Marlin and let's hope the future is brighter for Marlin owners than the recent past.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Silverbow,
I hear what you are saying.

I also hear a lot of negative, negative, negative!!!! ::) ;D ;D

John

·
Banned
430 Posts
Given this is a forum sought out by lovers of Marlin, I really don't think individuals are being critical for the fun of it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I don't think complaining about spending $550.00 on a Rifle that shoots sub moa in the dirt at 25 yds is negative! I'm one of those Negative attitudes that demand at least a gun that I paid good money for be a safe and functional never mind the crappy fitting of the wood or the scratches. If you haven't bought a bad one then You don't know what it feels like to find out that You got [email protected]%^& and setting here waiting for months for Marlington to fix the problem just makes Me more Negative about Remington everyday! Sorry for the rant but when somebody says were Negative It burns Me a little but I can tell you that I am more Disappointed with Remington than anything! so My Negativity is born from Disappointment. Dennis

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
We can always hope for additional (becoming routine) good reports from Remington made Marlins. I would like to be positive, but have you looked at ant 700s lately (CDLs generally excepted?) Most of them show to be totally assembled by robots. Good day, Jack

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
jack therwhanger said:
We can always hope for additional (becoming routine) good reports from Remington made Marlins. I would like to be positive, but have you looked at ant 700s lately (CDLs generally excepted?) Most of them show to be totally assembled by robots. Good day, Jack
............or chimps. ;D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.