Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saved by my Skinner Sight

I got my new Skinner “Blackgold” rear sight yesterday. Gotta tell ya folks, this thing is sweet! Got it mounted and sighted in as well. Figured Cleat and I would get out and do a little Peep hunting with the Mountie this morning and see how it worked, kind of a field test if you please. Had just barely cleared the North fence when Cleat spotted a whole herd of Peeps. I knew we were in trouble almost immediately. The big Alpha-Bull turned on us and charged. I racked a big 36 grain hollow point into the Mounties chamber, sighted through the Skinner and blasted him right in the Easter basket. I then shot the rest of the herd to pieces. After the adrenalin rush subsided, I went over and skinned him out. He should go at least a .3 on the Boone and Crocket scale for Eastern Washington Peeps. Got him mounted and now he sits by my easy chair, a constant reminder of my brush with almost certain death. Here’s a picture of Cleat on the point…

·
Registered
7 Posts
appears that one was slowed down by a lack of a hoof - y'wuz lucky! By the size of that rack...you'd have lost a toenail for sure :eek: Good shootin, Wind ! I bet Clete is a proud fella too!

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
;D ;D ;D

Were those fresh peeps? Seems like bullets just pass right through the fresh ones (kind of like those self-healing targets). If the more ornery peeps are allowed to dry out some before trying to fend them off, bullets seem to do more damage, but you still get complete pass-throughs. Especially with you shooting them high-velocity, peep mangling hollow-points. ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good thing you were an old hand with experience. Many would have turned an ran. Often the charge is just a bluff but you don't want to take chances. I have shot one and had the others just mill around just as if nothing was happening.
Keith

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey there guys -- Thanks for the kind words. Me and Cleat are living on the edge out here for sure...

DWB -- I can tell by your question that you are an experienced Peep hunter. No, this was a one year old Peep. You are correct in stating that it's almost impossible to kill the young fresh ones without multiple hits.

Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Them's about the meanest looking peeps I've seen in a long while. Good thing you had Cleat along to hold them at bay or the whole heard might have attacked. Teeth gnashing, snarling, frothing mouths, claws and horns, and dancing eyes are enough to keep me on the safe side like, hunting bear or wild hogs. ;D ;D

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was saved by my Wonder dog, Joe Cool, who was rendered unconscious by the battle. The fearsome presence of my new Mountie may have helped keep them at bay, too.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well done! Bully for you. Peeps and watermellons are my favorite game. Venison tasts good too.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Wind said:
Hey there guys -- Thanks for the kind words. Me and Cleat are living on the edge out here for sure...

DWB -- I can tell by your question that you are an experienced Peep hunter. No, this was a one year old Peep. You are correct in stating that it's almost impossible to kill the young fresh ones without multiple hits.

Best regards. Wind
Yearlings are always the best eatin'.

You were lucky to have stopped him with only one shot to the gut, they can usually muster at least one last surge if they aren't headshot.

I've only hunted them at preserves, where the guide eats off the ears before putting them out, so's they can't hear you coming...

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Wind - - you sure are lucky that Cleat is such a good peep dog. He is showing an incredible amount of self-control.

I have a peep dog, but she won't sit still for a flush - must be the Australian Shepard in her - she hunts by sight and scent pretty well, but once she's onto them, there's no holding her back. If she is around and the peeps are out, she's on them like stink on poop - - I very seldom get a shot off. ;) Most of the time, I will leave her at home and stand hunt the rascals by myself, then bring her the remnants... Of course, I prefer the 40 gr solids - less tissue damage = better eating. ;D

·
Registered
171 Posts
In my experience in peep huntin', I've found that the peeps that have the blue genetics in em are a lot more meaner ant tempremental. Them suckers will charge you if you just make eye contact. The peeps with the pink genetics are sissies and have a tendancy to run for cover at the first sign of danger. One blue peep turned on my hound once and he aint been the same since. Dan

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well boys -- I should have known there would be a lot of experienced Peep hunters on Marlin Owners.

bowhunter -- That's some good information on the various genetics of Peeps. We don't see to many pink ones around here.

jimone -- Glad to hear your guy wasn't seriously injured in your encounter. Good Peep dogs are definitely hard to come by.

DWB -- Cleat is one of the best of the best!! I prefer the larger breeds of Peep dogs as I heard tell one time of a guy that got trampled by some Peeps and his dog dragged him a couple miles to receive help. He even had time to get some kid out of a well a couple times on the way.

I should of had at least 40 grainers today, and that rookie mistake won't happen again. The Skinner sight was quick and accurate and that is what saved my bacon for sure today. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
409 Posts
I usually take along my dog Tom when I peep hunt, he's earned such a good reputation at finding and flushing those peeps, that we refere to him now as .....Peeping Tom. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also have found out the breeding grounds for peeps, they flourish this time of year at your local Wal-Mart... I know because I work at Wal-Mart. There are yeller ones and blue ones and pink ones all over the place there right now.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
That sure was a harrowing tale! Definitely a good thing you brought enough gun ;D

1 - 20 of 111 Posts