Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a thread going on the SASS Wire about selling spent primers. They claim they have been able to sell them to scrap metal dealers for some pretty good money. I've always thrown mine away but I think I'll start saving them from now on.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
During the primer shortage, I took a few out to my garage and figured out a way of reloading them with caps from a local dollar store. They worked, not quite as good as new but okay enough to know it can be done.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I have always dumped my spent primers into the brass bucket to be sold as scrap. 7 buckets of brass got me some $400. about 6 months ago. It takes quite a while to collect that much but it is worth it.

Papalote

·
Banned
1,881 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
My gun pusher told me years ago that some metal recyclers will take them, I've been saving mine ever since. I rigged up a collection jar under my Lee Turret press years ago, dump it every couple hundred rounds, they add up pretty fast. As cheap as I am, I also recycle spent 22 shells, they don't weigh much but if there's a pile of them on a table I'll snag them for the recycling bucket. As much as it costs to shoot a lot, it's nice to get a few bucks back now and then. Yellow brass gets me about $30 a bucket these days. That's a thousand new primers! 8)

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I have been recycling for many years and saving spent primers included. $$$ ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I never knew about the primers, I always figured they were made of something besides brass.

I do save my junk brass in buckets, now, along with some other things. Being in the pool business I come upon some other valuable junk... dead pump motors (copper,) old copper plumbing, heat exchangers (largely copper, from dead heaters,) and insulated copper wire from electrical installs. I never considered myself anywhere near Fred Sanford, but my garage has sprouted a few piles of 'junk' in the last few years.

Last trip to the recyclers netted $178... ;D ;D ;D ...all going into the Secret Squirrel Rifleman Fund, and helped pay for the RRA upper for my AR build!

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I save all my spent primers, defective brass, plus any range brass that I can scrounge. I don't take the time to pick spent .22's off the ground, but given the economy, it isn't a terrible idea.

As far as copper goes, we salvage all that we come across at work, along with bronze, brass, steel, etc. Theft of copper has been a growing issue, we had several feet of SO cord stolen from a portable crushing plant in Colorado, and another in Wyoming. The expense of the copper is one thing, but the aggravation of down-time while we run new cord is a killer for business.

Below is a photo of couple of dudes in Georgia (Atlanta, I think) that were enterprising enough to figure they could make some dough by salvaging other people's copper. Unfortunately (for them), they weren't quite smart enough to de-energize the line. I use this photo, and some others, in some of our safety presentations regarding electrical safety.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
You are correct Swaney! Sometimes stupid is fixed permanently. Yikes!
358 Win

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
BBQ'd punk! ::) ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Shotshell primers differ from rifle & pistol primers. I believe they are steel so don't mix them with your brass. Scrap dealers around here check buckets of brass with a magnet, rejecting those containing odd scraps. Never happened to me though as I only shoot about 100 shotshells a year!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Steelbanger said:
Shotshell primers differ from rifle & pistol primers. I believe they are steel so don't mix them with your brass. Scrap dealers around here check buckets of brass with a magnet, rejecting those containing odd scraps. Never happened to me though as I only shoot about 100 shotshells a year!
Primers need to be separated and put in with plated brass like you would keep yellow and red brasses separated to sell individually. You get more money per pound when things like this are kept in order, and yes if shotgun primers have steel then they need there own pile.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I save all my scrap brass in a 3 gallon bucket beside my loading bench. Any split or crushed cases go in it as well as any berdan primed brass. Lots of times I can go to the range on Monday morning adn find hundreds of rounds of berdan primed 223 and 308 brass cases.

I have saved spent primers for years. I pour them in an empty 8# powder jug and when it gets full it goes to the recycle shop with my other scrap.

I sold a half bucket of brass and some aluminum cans a few weeks ago and got almost $50 for it.

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
If the primers are brass why do they have a copper color to them or are they copper plated?

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
Most primers are plated with nickel to prevent corrosion, but not all. IIRC Winchester/Olin leaves their brass cups unplated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts