Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Have had several of these over the years and find them very handy multitools. This one is the Savage O/U 22 lr / 20 gauge magnum 24 C or Campers Companion. Interesting trap door and storage in the back of the stock for ammo -both 22lr and shotgun. Used for many, many animal including ptarmigan, rabbit, grouse, duck, geese, a caribou with a brenneke slug, etc. easy break down and fits in a little case. Trade off is with the 3 inch magnum shells no easy way to put a pad on the back without losing the storage. Sadly no longer made and the current ones I have seen quality control issues - as in hammer not staying back on cocked, and only 410 lower. Hope to pick up a 30-30/20 gauge or 223/20 gauge as well. Nice around the cabin firearms or leave it in the small plane kit, or first firearm, which it was the first long gun for me. Alaska handy multitool.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I always wanted one growing up. I thought it would be the perfect gun to run the woods with. The first one I ran into was during a Turkey hunt, a friend used one to take a Turkey. His was .22LR/20ga. Several years ago I traded a saddle for a couple of guns. One was the Savage 24 I had wanted as a kid. .22lr/20ga. I have used it around my place on pocket gophers and keep it by the door. It is a handy gun. I agree, the new ones aren't much.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
AlaskaDawg

Yeah they are handy little guns for sure! I have the same Camper, great little gun.. I also have the 22mag/410 and 22mag/20ga. Still need the 22LR/410 though!!!?????

Blood

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I always liked them but never owned one. I was looking for one this week as a matter of fact. My brother keeps one on his snow machine in Alaska for backup in case he gets stuck out there while chasing wolves. We talked about a Savage 24 for quite a while via email and he found a nice model 24 22LR/20GA and bought it. Potted some ptarmigan and hares using it.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
WooHoo! I like my combo guns ALOT! Savage 24 30-30/12ga. and M-6 Scout 22/410. haven't got the big game kill with the savage yet but both guns work very well for small game! The barrels on the Savage are fairly well regulated and I have no complaints. My 12 ga barrel wears an IC choke tube.

Reactions: AlaskaDawg

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Heres a pic of mine....

Top gun in pic, 22mag/20ga

Middle gun in pic, 22mag/410

Bottom gun in pic, Camper 22LR/20ga

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice trace there of Savage O/U!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I had a Model 24 years ago when I lived in New Mexico. Had a lot of fun with that O/U in 20ga/22 rimfire.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I would like one of the 222/20 ga, I beleive they made.

Don't think they did, but a 222/28 ga or 223/28 ga or 22 hornet/28 ga would be cool. Same with 22 hornet/410. Think that one may have been made.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Always wanted one in 20 ga but they are like finding hen's teeth around here.

Always wished they made one in 20/22 hornet. I seem to recall they did make them in 20/22 mag and 20/30-30 did they not?
They did make a 22Hornet/20ga!!! Let the hunt begin :biggrin: aalso

357/20
30-30/20
222/20

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Always wanted one in 20 ga but they are like finding hen's teeth around here.

Always wished they made one in 20/22 hornet. I seem to recall they did make them in 20/22 mag and 20/30-30 did they not?
Yes they did make them in 20gauge/22mag and I just tried for a 20 gauge 30-30 but they wanted a lot for a firearm that was in pretty rough shape.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
It took me well over a year of searching before I found my 30-30/12. I found a 30-30/20 before that but no, I held out for a 12 ga bottom tube. When I found mine, there were TWO of them sitting side by side on the used rack! Unheard of, and I'll never see it again. I also passed on a .357/20.

Last gun show, there was an M-6 in 22 hornet/.410. 650 bucks could have taken it home. Since the abrupt stop in manufactureing, these things have gone up and 500-800 on the auction sites/gun shows is about average. My M-6 (stainless) has made numerous road trips with me as well as hunting trips.

The Savages seem to be holding around 450-500 bucks on an average around here. I really like them alot.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I found some, yippie !! They almost fell in my hand, scary .....

22lr/410. Or 22lr/20. Which one should i get ?

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Cost of shells may dictate the twenty over the four ten. That and the ability to use a heavier slug in the twenty for deer. If I were looking for another .22LR combo, I'd definently make it the 20 ga. But then, that's me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
001.jpg Howdy gents, I just found this forum. You all are talking my language. This past season I have acquired two Savage model 24's and love them both. The first one is a .22 mag/20 guage the other is a .223/20. The .22 mag one nailed my first Pa. turkey this past season. I haven't hunted with the .223 yet but I just developed a light load that shoots a 40 grain copper plated bullet at .22 magnum velocities. I am looking forward to squirrel season this year in Pa.

For in depth info on these guns check out this forum:
http://savage24forum.boards.net/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts