Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody shooting a Savage Model 170 in 35 Remington? One followed me home from the Wanenmacher last week. Shot it at 40 yards with factory PMC and got a 3/4 inch group with irons. If you have chopped one or otherwise altered one would like to see pics. Thinking about cutting it down to 18 inches or so. Seems to function smoothly, how reliable are they?

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
I bought mine from GB as I am in Afghanistan currently. The wife picked it up from my FFL--has cycled it and says it is very smooth. She also said it is well balanced and is quick handling. I have read some very good reviews on this rifle from various online sites. The 30-30 version of this rifle supposedly had some ammo feeding issues but I couldn't find any bad reviews for the 35 Rem version. I don't plan on cutting it but will put a 1970s Bushnell Sportview 1.5-4.5X20mm scope on it when I get home in July.

DSCN0511.JPG

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Always wanted a Savage 170 in .35 Remington but never actually saw one. If you are planning on hand loading for your 170 just know the action is not as strong as Remington 760/7600 rifles, but will safely handle anything the 336 Marlin would.
358 Win

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
If you are planning on hand loading for your 170, just know the action is not as strong as Remington 760/7600 rifles, but will safely handle anything the 336 Marlin would.
And that is not a bad thing. That was a really nice woods rifle that came into a market where nobody cared. Same for the .30-30 version.

Because it's fed from a detachable mag, you can use the pointy bullets from Hornady, and at the top end, the 180gr bullets will hit 2400-2500fps. That is actually quite a respectable number.

It's not a classic, but it is a bit special. It might have collectors value someday, don't bet on it. I would not cut it down to save a tiny bit of weight.

Maybe you could swap it for something else, ?????

I would keep it as is.

·
Super Moderator
25,170 Posts
This rifle does not have a detachable mag--its fed from a tube mag like our beloved Marlins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use mine on a regular basis for hunting white tail in NH. We have large thick wood lines so a good brush rifle works wonders when you have to take a shot in the thick. (Note: I won’t shoot if I don’t know what is behind the target.). I did have some feeding issues and am trying to find a cartridge stop because mine is rounded from years of use and doesn’t hold the ammunition in the magazine properly. I am also a gunsmith and am going to create an improved magazine spring feed cap that is dimpled for the hot aft field rounds. The current cap will push rounded ogive rounds easily but vaulters with the use of the pointed ogive rounds. I’ll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I owned a Savage 170 in a 30/30 during the '70s and really liked the weight and handling of the rifle. I believe it was designed after their current model 30 shotgun and its "lock up" was not as strong as the Remington's 760 of that day. Factory rounds, or handloads within the same pressure limits, worked well and the gun was capable of 1 1/2 groups on a good day. Although they later had a carbine length version with a shorter barrel, the standard barreled rifle was still shorter than a comparable shotgun and balanced quite well. The forearm "rattle" was no worse than most pump guns I have handled and could be silenced using (breakable) rubber bands when stalking. While I never had a feeding problem with the "tube" magazine, I'm sure it can be improved. The model 170 in a .35Rem is one of my favorite calibers; I would have kept mine if it was in that caliber and would not consider cutting down the barrel. Congratulation on your fine; for even though it is not a "high dollar collectable", it surely is rare "gem". My .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts