Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday guys, Ive actually had this one a couple of weeks now, but havent had time to get pics until now. Its a 22LR over 20g, should be good medicine for the bunny population.

Havent had a chance for a shot yet, Im hoping to get out with it soon.

Cheers, Scott

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
That brings back memories; I toted one of those around the woods for my first gun. Many critters fell to it. :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Stevens520, did yours have a lousy trigger too? ;D

Might take it to the 'smith soon and see if they can do anything.

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Can't remember. ??? But that was before I knew there was such a thing as a crappy trigger. But like yours, mine also had the soldered barrels, so it was an older one. I just think the ones with the barrels clamped together don't look right. And I also see that your barrel selector is on the hammer, another handy feature.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah and I think the lever on the side rather than a tang mounted one denotes an early one too. I should really try and chase up the serial No. and see how old it is.

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a bit of searching I found that it most likely a '63-'64 model. Some didnt have serial No.s at all. Not alot of info out there on these!

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I was just doing a bit of looking myself. Saw some with the tang mounted lever,soldered barrels and the barrel selector on the side of the receiver, but all the newer ones have the barrel selector on the hammer with the tang mounted lever and the clamp holding the barrels together. ??? But I did notice the real old ones had the barrel selector on the side of the receiver.Interesting. I wish I had mine back, the only issue I had with mine was my older brother lengthened the chamber so he could shoot 22 Mags; He singed his eyebrows when he tried shooting one. ::) Served him right. ;D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm, yep I just went through the same thing hoping I could find a timeline for the various changes. Mine might be a "transitional model" showing features of older ones (side mounted break lever and soldered barrels) and the newer hammer mounted selector. I actually thought the hammer mounted selector was on the older ones, and the newer ones had the receiver mounted selector? I think Stevens also made/assembled these at one stage.

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah Im aware of the Savage Mod 24 forum. Dont know that I'll sign up for another forum just for a few answers though, Im already a member of enough I think. Think I'll just shoot it!

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks mate, already onto that one. My # starts with a "Q" which strangely isnt mentioned, so Im taking it as between a "P" and a "R"....... 63-1/2???

Cheers, Scott.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Obe, You don't have to register to visit the Savage24.com site.

Your Model 24 looks to be a 1971 or so version. Does it have a serial number?

Neat firearms, those 24's. They have enjoyed a immense resurgence in popularity here in the States over the past 5-8 years

Don

·
Registered
333 Posts
That is an early one with the side lever and welded barrels.

I have even taken dove in flight with one of these in .410 when I was much younger.

Enjoy

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gday guys. Couldnt get used to it. Also the 22 had a different poi than the 20g so I traded it in for a Bettinsoli U/O 12g. Very nice!

Cheers, Scott.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts