Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I would hold off and save more money towards an all original rifle.
The thing is, I probably wouldn’t do that. The Savage 99 hasn’t really grown on me, I like them, but nowhere near as much as my Marlins or Winchester’s. I will watch this one and if it doesn’t sell, I’ll offer them less and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
23,656 Posts
they've grown on me too.
i sold off 20 marlins a couple years ago.
right now, i'm up to nine savages.

a 1-10 twist barrel is better for heavier bullets.
do you think he'd let you take it out and try it?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
they've grown on me too.
i sold off 20 marlins a couple years ago.
right now, i'm up to nine savages.

a 1-10 twist barrel is better for heavier bullets.
do you think he'd let you take it out and try it?
Probably would let me, but finding the time to go shoot right now is the problem.

Reactions: Sambane

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
My 99EG is a 1950 according to serial. I want the 250 for deer so I thought I would try 117g RNs. I loaded 20 with mild load of 4895 put a 10x glass on it to test for group. It didn’t do bad. Gun has been D&Ted but I will be shooting aperture sight of some flavor. The 250 and a couple of 25/20s are the only 25 cal rifles I have left. I have a raft of 257 bullets from 257s and 25/06. The 117gr RNs I bought for a 25/35 Win 94 and killed a deer with, so should do better out of the 250.

·
Super Moderator
23,779 Posts
I own a few Savage 99s and like them a quite a lot. I haven't seen a Mod 99 quite like the one in the pic. There were quite a few different Model 99 configurations through the years but I haven't a clue about the one in the pic. It looks very different from anything I have seen before........

Reactions: Sambane and 10acres

·
Registered
297 Posts
I call it someone's project rifle. The metal strip at rear of the forearm indicates it is (or once was) a takedown forearm and the front of the forearm has been altered. If the receiver dates to 1922, it definitely was D&T'd later. .250 SAVAGE barrel has been added, so you might check headspace, and loading the rotor to make sure it cycles ok; if the barrel is 1:10 twist the rifle could make a nice shooter/hunter.

I think it would be difficult to find an original Savage 99 in .250 Savage with a 1:10 twist (which would be a post 1960 rifle) for under $800.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It is definitely a Frankenrifle. I am going to pass on it right now and if doesn’t sell, I’ll see if they’ll take less. I bought some Hornady 250 Savage on the way home the other day and it cycled in and out just as it should.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
having passed on all the savage 99's/1899's I've seen, probably due to my champagne taste with a beer budget, and from what I've learned about the 99's and 1899's there are more than a few of the older ones that were actually worn to point of needing rebarrel or rebuilding, restocking due to cracked up stocks and due to all the hand fitting used in original construction there were two kinds of gunsmiths that got their hands on them, ones that were completely competent and did a fine job of repairing and rebuilding them and smiths that wish they could be.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
I call it someone's project rifle. The metal strip at rear of the forearm indicates it is (or once was) a takedown forearm and the front of the forearm has been altered. If the receiver dates to 1922, it definitely was D&T'd later. .250 SAVAGE barrel has been added, so you might check headspace, and loading the rotor to make sure it cycles ok; if the barrel is 1:10 twist the rifle could make a nice shooter/hunter.

I think it would be difficult to find an original Savage 99 in .250 Savage with a 1:10 twist (which would be a post 1960 rifle) for under
$800.
Try to find a pre 60 Sav 99 in 250/3000 for under $800 if in nice shape. Around here $500 is a beater in any caliber. A good mechanical and solid wood gun is $600 in any caliber. They only go up from there. A very nice gun that has been well taken care of and in condition nothing needs tweaked, is $1K to open.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
You said he wants $500. Point out the flaws and offer $400. If it cycles and the bore is good I think it would be a good deal at $400. Looks like very nice wood.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You said he wants $500. Point out the flaws and offer $400. If it cycles and the bore is good I think it would be a good deal at $400. Looks like very nice wood.
I already told them I was buyer at $400 and they are stuck on $500 for now. We’ll see what happens, if it sells, no big deal to me. I wasn’t looking for one, just thought I might buy it if it was a good deal.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts