Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some pics from a guy that has a Savage 99 in 250 Savage for sale. It is not in the best condition and he wants $500 for it. Just wondering if it is a worth while deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first 2 questions were about the bore and cracks in the wood. Waiting for an answer before I say yes. They set it aside to give me first crack at it. I’ll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have NEVER heard one complaint about the Savage250 caliber,... looks like a shooter, at a good price!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Around here that would be north of $500 because of the .250 chambering. 99's are pricey around here.
The .250 is a very desirable option.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Looks like it has been buffed and reblued once before, and the wood is redone and checkered. The barrel stamp is not Savage, it would be labeled "250-3000" from Savage, so I'm thinking maybe rebarreled, or the pitting was bad enough the factory markings has been removed. The barrel band swivel through forearm isn't something I've ever seen from Savage either, so I'm thinking it's a rifle someone had built like this. Maybe rebuilt from a .300? You need to check function as much as looks on a rifle like this. Could be a rough little gem, could be a real P.O.S. Like most any custom rifle from a less than big name smith, price is lower than you think. Good luck! Hope it turns into a diamond in the rough, and with a bit of hand polish and rust blue it looks as good as it will shoot.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have a beater 250 99 that someone cut the stock too short on and then added a long recoil pad. Mine is a shooter for sure though as it shoots great. I would love to find someone to put a new stock on it and maybe even blue it but I am sure it would cost way too much.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
The Savage barrels that are stamped .250-3000 have a 1 in 14" twist and will not stabilize bullets heavier than 100 grains. The later Savage barrels that are marked .250 Savage have a 1 in 10 twist and will handle heavier bullets.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Reactions: 10acres

·
Registered
404 Posts
I wouldn't give more than 350 for it. But that's just me. Unlike some people, I will walk away from a seller if I think the price is to high for what they are offering. And I have come across many savage 99's at gun shows for under 500 dollars, not necessarily in that caliber, but savage 99's none the less. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Too much for that gun. But stock does not fit, electric pencil activity and general neglect. $250 if you really want a project better to walk away.

·
Registered
13,443 Posts
I’m turned off by electric pencil. I may be wrong but is there filler plugs for side mount that have been reblued over? Gun don’t look right but is hard to tell from pictures. Looks rode hard and put away wet to me. Don’t think I would give $500 for it. I have a nice 250 but the guy l bought it from skinned my pickle proper, I paid top dollar for it. I don’t do that, had a senior moment I guess.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I'll take it if you don't want it. Lol.

·
Registered
22,675 Posts
I have a beater 250 99 that someone cut the stock too short on and then added a long recoil pad. Mine is a shooter for sure though as it shoots great. I would love to find someone to put a new stock on it and maybe even blue it but I am sure it would cost way too much.
Are you handy at minor stock fitting? on ebay seller beever156 has a BEAUTIFUL 99 stock butt and forend for a very good price!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have dallied with a few Savages, I have dallied with a few 250's (not exactly dallied cause I have kept them all). I have never seen anything like that one. Barrel band, schnable fore end. Something is amiss there. Front sight is off also. Someone mentioned re barrel. They may be on to something. Hard to tell with out a lot more pictures. If you have the tools and skills you could restock it but if you have less than a decent level of woodworking capabilities you don't even want to go near restocking. They can be a *****, trust me I know. There are two tabs on the sides of the buttstock that fit into the back of the receiver that are often twisted off when the buttstock is removed carelessly and they are hidden from sight until you yourself pull the butt stock off. Doesn't take much to break them off. They can be replaced but it is a bugger of a job. Also, there is probably a decent crack behind the tang where it rests in the butt stock. Known as the Savage crack, it is that common. I guess what I am suggesting is save up another hundred dollars or so and find yourself a decent savage. You will be much happier. I think that one has heartache written all over it.

Any chance you can get the serial number? I could get you a bit more info possibly.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The serial number puts its date of manufacture in 1922. It has had a newer barrel put on with a 1 in 10 twist and the bore is excellent. The barrel band was added with the new barrel and the forend has been whittled out to accommodate the band. They did a pretty good job on the band. I have a Marlin with this type of band on it and it works well. It has been drilled and tapped on the side first and then the top. That is the circles you are seeing on the side of the receiver. There is a small crack on the stock just behind the receiver. It cycled rounds just like it should and locked up well.

The guy is stuck on $500 for now, so I walked away. The gun actually looks better than the pics show. I am having second thoughts now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts