Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A pawn shop that I frequent is having a gun sale right now. He has a really clean stainless Savage 93r17 17hmr for $139.00. For that price I'm considering a 17 to the family. I still dont know that it will see much range time though. I hate to spend the money on a dust collector but dont want to miss out on a great price. What do I do? HELP!!

wally

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Get it and tell us what it is like. I am thinking of getting one myself.
Oh yeah, and don't forget the pics.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
BUBSDAD said:
A pawn shop that I frequent is having a gun sale right now. He has a really clean stainless Savage 93r17 17hmr for $139.00. For that price I'm considering a 17 to the family. I still dont know that it will see much range time though. I hate to spend the money on a dust collector but dont want to miss out on a great price. What do I do? HELP!!

wally
The 17 HMR is a great round, and the 93 a great gun. I have one in 22 mag. I'd definitely get it for $139.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
If you've ever watched Swamp People on the History Channel, one of the characters, Jay Paul, uses a 17HMR rifle to kill alligators. It works fine if you hit them in the right place.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
You didn't say if it was a BULL BARREL or regular? I picked my Savage 93BTVS in .22WMR (Magnum) because it has more punch than the .17HMR and is less affected by the wind - but in .17HMR or .22WMR these guns are SHOOTERS and after you get it out a few times it will demand more of your time than being a DUST COLLECTOR . . . .

SAVAGE 93BTVS .22WMR shown here with my RUGER SINGLE SIX 7" HUNTER .22WMR - - - both great shooters . . .

GB45

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm goin back into town tomorrow, I think I'll get it if it is still there. If I dont like it I can probably sell it and make a buck. I bet I'll like it though, Maybe even use it enough to keep off the dust bunnies.

Golfbuddy45 said:
You didn't say if it was a BULL BARREL or regular?
GB45
Regular bbl

·
Registered
711 Posts
You're crazy if you pass that up. I have 2 Savage .22's and they're tack drivers, the .17 is reputed to be superb.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I have a 93 GL in 22 mag and love it. It is a tack driver. I would definately get the 17 at that price.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Had a Savage 93r17 a few years ago. I found it to be too light for my taste. It was a pretty good shooter but I wasn't really happy with it. Gave it to my nephew and bought a Marlin 917vs. Composite stock and heavy target barrel make it a better shooting rifle IMHO. Mine is a great shooter (gets even better as the barrel fouls a little). Great fun and superbly accurate. Only issue which seems to be common with these guns is that the clip does not fit in firmly enough and sometimes you must push up on bottom of clip to chamber a round.
The gun you mention is a good buy at that price. My 2 cents. Best of luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I fnally made it back to town today and it was still there so I bought it. 139.00 plust tax made it 151.00 otd, I talked the girl at the cash register out of a used soft case for free. I am probably gonna do some shooting toomorrow afternoon. Maybe take home some rotten fruit from work and see if I can make it explode.

Thanks for the reveiws guys

wally

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Bubs,

I have one and it is a great gun. It is accurate as hell and a tack driver. The only reason I got mine in .17 HMR was I already had a sweet Marlin 882 in .22 mag. I also love the laminate look.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts