Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went over to a friend's house to shoot the breeze, & he was getting ready for a garage sale. For 5 bucks, I bought this 410 adaptor.

Can anyone tell me what vintage it is? Is it a viable system? Snake medicine? Any comments will be appreciated! :D SW

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I don't have much info on them- except my grandad had one that he used in an old Win 37 single. His seemed to work best with 6's, and 7 1/2's. He certainly thought it a viable system...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
110 Posts
Steve.....don't know how good the system is, but they were sold for a fairly long time, so something must have worked. I do know that your price was very, very good. Newer ones sell for $65-$75 and I believe yours is somewhat older. May interest those Savage collectors out there. Definitely hang on to that box.

max

·
Registered
688 Posts
I paid $35 for mine, in the box, 10 years ago! Prices have gone up quite a bit since then. I'm surprised you don't hear the sirens about now... :wink:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But officer... I paid what the tag said!!! Have you shot yours, Hobie? Results? SW

·
Registered
719 Posts
honestly.........

And you sleep at night with THAT concience???? :shock:

what a deal!........only thing i see at garage sales here are wornout clothes and bennie babies..... :?

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Hogger,
They're selling from $80-$100 lately. I'll forward this post to my friend, who's REALLY into Savage items. I'm pretty sure he'll know when it was made.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wow, that is a bargain! Have you ever priced a Briley(?) set-up? I looked into it once, just out of curiosity, for my 28. They sold for quite a few hundred!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took it to the range this morning with some 3" 7 1/2s, and DANG!! I LIKE it!!! :D Very tight groups, and it shoots to the sights!! Was spot on @ 25 yards & I will try to hammer a few doves with it.

I'd get another for the bottom bbl of my ratty model 90, but something tells me it's going to be a while before I see another - cheep or otherwise! SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Got the word back on your Four-Tenner. It is one of the later versions sold after Savage was sold to Emhert Corp. in about 1963.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aha! Thank you!! I didn't think it was that old. I left the adapter in the gun & carefully put the box up. SW

·
Registered
272 Posts
A very fortunate find.I have had a pair of them in my Baker SXS for years and hunt quail and dove with it.Also HAD a pair meant for 20 ga.That I sold,,the pair went for $150. Still have a spare with a missing part left over.Once the extractor goes missing the unit is not worth much. I hunt ducks and geese on a lake where the berry vines are all over the fences and the quail love berry vines.So I walk down to the lake with a 410er tube in one barrel and load the other with a 12 ga. shell. Have you ever seen a quail that has been hit with a load of #2s up close? All you end up with are feathers. Kinda surprises the shooter also..
I have a pair of inserts for a 12 ga. that are made of bronze that adapt the 12 to 28 that have no extractors but the price of 28 shells holds me back from using them. I collect adaptors for lots of different rounds.Very interesting subject.....modoc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts