Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Savage 110 Tactical

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  IN1894SS 
#1 ·
Has anyone bought one of the newer Savage 110's. I am looking at the Tactical with the 20 inch barrel and was just wonering if anyone here has shot one of the newer 110's.

#2 ·
Never owned, shot or seen one in real life yet. but I cannot ever complain about savages. all the misc ones I have owned over the years have served me well and I have no complaints other than petty ones like not being a fan of synthetic stocks in general.
But I am now interested in learning more about this model too. looks good..

Reactions: Gr8rtst and Golphin
#3 ·
I haven't owned a 110 but I'm entertaining their new 110 Desert Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. The price isn't bad for all it's features.

Jack

Reactions: Gr8rtst and Golphin
#5 ·
The Scout looks like a great rifle but my son wants something with a little longer range in 308 Win. I am not sure if I will go with the black stock or the desert tactical. I am old school wood stock guy and if it was not going to be his gun at some point I would buy a Savage 99 in 308 win with the removable mag. I do like the adjustable trigger and the adjustable stock that these rifles offer. I think there are a total of 8 different models. I just don't know anyone who has one. All I can go by is Youtube and reviews.

#6 ·
I have about a 10 year old police sniper model 10 in .308, 24" fluted, heavy barrel. It's a tack-driver.

I'm away from all of my reloading manuals until tomorrow, but I bet you could get 2550-2600 fps with 168 gr bullets and that 20" barrel.

About to start working on hunting loads for my sons, they both have Savage 308 hunting rifles (one has the hog special, the other has a weather warrior). I'm probably going to go with Swift Scirocco 180s. BC isn't quite what Hornady ELD-X is, and I think it's about the same as Berger VLD-H 175. Swift also makes a 165 gr Scirocco.

I think you won't be able to get 2600 fps with 180s out of that 20" barrel, but with the proper scope, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I've owned a number of Savages down through the years, even before AccuTrigger was a thing. They've all been accurate rifles.

Reactions: Gr8rtst
#14 ·
Check with Savage custom shop. You can probably get your 35W for $800-900, give or take a little.

You might consider a 9.3x62. You can get a Sauer 100 in that caliber for about $800-900. GB doesn't presently have any listed, but they usually have 2 or 3 Sauer 100 in that caliber. Also, eurooptic frequently has them listed: https://www.eurooptic.com/Sauer-100-Ceratech-93x62-Rifle-S1SX936.aspx is on backorder, but they can get them. I love Savage, but at the same price point, I'd take a Sauer over a Savage any day.

I assume you're planning on reloading for 35W; you'd also want to reload for 9.3. The biggest difference between 35W and 9.3x62 is 35W really caters to 250 gr and lighter, and 9.3x62 caters to 250 gr and heavier. But the 250gr in both is just south of what you'd get out of a 338 WM throwing a 250, which is nothing to sneeze at. Case size is slightly larger on a 9.3, but 9.3 is also fired from a standard long action, just like 35W, just like 30-06, just like 270Win. There are LOTS of bullet choices for 9.3. Maybe not quite as many as available in .358, but you'd break your budget working up loads if you wanted to try even half the bullets available.

Reactions: edcknives
#9 ·
One of the guys(Asher) I shoot long distance with has a Savage 110 in 308.20” threaded barrel.He has made some changes with trigger and stock.And has the same Nightforce benchrest 8-32x56 as I have on my Ruger precision.He hits steel every time at 650 and 850.For $650,the 110 is not a bad buy at all.Especially if you put a great piece of glass on it.
Asher’s father owns a vlp12.Costs twice the 110.It is definitely an out the box tack driver.He put a PST 6-24x50 Vortex Viper on it.And he can hit steel accurately at 650 and 850 too.But,Asher can still outshoot his dad,most of the time.
The actions are a little different.The VLP 12 barrel is a 6 inches longer.Watching them shoot,and shooting both rifles myself,the glass makes the most difference.From what I’ve seen,Savage makes a good rifle.

#11 ·
been building Savage rifles for 20+ years.....

expect the barrel to be rough & copper fowl....

some will smooth out better than others......quick fix...

swap out the barrel to a CBI...Shilen.....or Pac Nor....

Savage does offer a decent platform to build from.....

I mainly use Target s/shot actions

Reactions: Golphin
#12 · (Edited)
Mine is a recently purchased, pre-Accutrigger 110FP in .223 REM. It was probably manufactured sometime in the late 90s - early 2000s. I wrote some threads about it in the rifles forum some time back.

With a tune-up of the trigger by a gunsmith, it serves my limited abilities well enough. Also, it's a lefty version. I'm pretty much a novice in terms of having experience with tactical rifles, so I think it's something I will become better at as I shoot more.

I am looking for one of the new upgraded version in .308. I entertained the idea of getting one in 6.5 Creedmoor, but I don't have one in .308 yet, so . . . first things first.

Of course, they make them in left-hand, too.

I really like Savage rifles.

Gr8rtst.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
If you're willing to do the custom 35W, I'd also suggest looking at 338-06. Savage would probably do that for the same price as 35W.

9.3x62, 35W, and 338-06 are paternal triplets ballistically, without falling over into magnum recoil and magnum expense.

I'm biased towards 9.3x62 because I have one. I favor it because I can go to 325 grains if I wanted to, and there are lots of options at 250 and 286 gr.

Having said that, and depending on what your ultimate goal is, all 3 of those cartridges would serve you well for any game species in North America, including Alaskan brown bear. At sea level, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to shoot even a moose out to about 500 yards with the 250 gr bullet. At "elk/mule deer altitude," assuming you have the skill, I wouldn't hesitate to go out to 700-800 yards with any of them up in thin air. I'd certainly try to get closer if possible, but if I were staring at a 72" moose or a 9x9 elk, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I couldn't get closer.

Bottom line: never be afraid to ask. "Custom" guns can be a lot less expensive than you imagine them to be.

Also, if you could see yourself going as high as maybe 1300 for a rifle, Montana Rifle Company is under new ownership. You could get a MRC American Standard Rifle in 35W for around 1300-1400. The best thing about MRC, esp. if you've maybe got your eye on something with teeth and claws, is their rifles are all CRF. CRF isn't a big deal for ungulates like deer, elk, and moose. But for a lot of guys, myself included, it's an absolute "must have" for rifles used in the pursuit of game that might view you as an easy meal.

#18 ·
And quite honestly, I'm glad I went with 9.3 anyway. Recoil is certainly appreciable when launching 286 gr at 2420 fps, but I have cape buffalo-itis. Every PH I've talked to will happily let me use my 9.3. None of them would let me use 35W. If I ever go heavier than 9.3x62, it'll be 404J or 416 Ruger. I just don't see a use for any of the 375s, even though they're ballistically superior to 9.3. They're not superior by THAT much that I'd ever fool with any of them.

I've got loads worked up for Hornady 286, and Nosler 250 and 286. Next up will be Swift 300, Woodleigh 320, and Norma 325. If the Woodleighs or Normas work out, I'll finish loading out my lot of FTX 325 for my brother-in-law and never buy anything lighter for my 45-70 than 405 gr again.

#19 ·
If I get a 9.3 like I want to I'll look you up for relaoding advice. Considering looking for a Savage 110, Winchester model 70 or a Ruger 77 in 30-06 and sending it to JES to rebored to the 9.3. Could potentially be into it for under 600.00.

Reactions: sgt_zim
#22 ·
Thanks, I clicked on them both and saved them to my GB watch list. The thread police will be by at some point and will delete the GB thread reference. Both reasonable prices and are very tempting. I was just looking at GB listings on the Sauer while you posted these threads.

Reactions: sgt_zim
#23 ·
Woops. Didn't realize I wasn't supposed to do that.

Also check with EuroOptic for new Sauers 100s. That's where I got my Tikka T3X in 6.5x55. FWIW, I think you can even get a Tikka in 9.3x62, but I'd go for the Sauer over that as well.

#24 ·
I think i'd like to own a savage 110,thanks for sharing the video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.