Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came up with a question about my 336C .35 Rem after shooting about 20 rounds through it. Why does it walk my 180 grain loads all over the paper after 4 or 5 rounds but then hold all the 200 grain loads inside 2 inches no matter how many are fired? My 180 grain load is the Speer 180 FN over 37.5 grains of H4895. My 200 grain load is the Hornady 200 RN over 35 grains of IMR3031. Both with Rem. brass and WLR primers. I use Lee dies with the factory crimp die. The first three 180 gr. rounds were all cutting a clover leaf but walked after that. The 200 gr. rounds always held inside 2 inches even after 10 rounds. I had a good day at the range as both the 35 Rem. and my 44 mag. 1894 marlin held inside 2 inches. The guy next to me was shooting a Win. 70 Featherweight 30-06 and me and my Marlins were way more accurate.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Heat, expansion and vibration. I'm told that as a barrel heats up it will move around a little bit as this happens anywhere the barrel touches the rest of the gun can but doesn't have to cause problems. Barrels also viberate and a guns most accurate load finds the sweet spot in that viberation.

Sounds like the particular viberations caused by your 180 gr load get a little wacky as she heats up.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have seen posts by many .35 Rem lever gun owners that their rifle prefers 200 grain RN to all others. I have to say I have seen just as many posts to say their's likes 180 grain - so it's not all that uncommon to have a rifle that perfers one or likes different weights. I have always been happy with the performance of Remington 200 grain RN out of mine.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Just quirks of the individual rifle, had a weatherby vanguard in 30-06 that a fella could not get a good group with he was trying to shoot in a hunter benchrest competition. That rifle would not shoot a match bullet or any pointed bullet to the degree of accuracy needed. The hornady 180 and 200 gn round nose would however shoot dime sized groups at 200 off the bench using a 12 power scope. Most 35s I ever tested would however shoot the 125 and 158 gn pistol bullets made for .357s and 38s. Go figure, reloading will drive us all to drinking and good looking women, for that we shall be in it's debt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I had not thought about the difference in the vibrations from the different bullets. I figured that the heat was a factor and had set the .35 Rem. on the rack to cool down, but after the initial 3 rounds of 180 gr. loads, it never did group that tight again. With the 200 gr. loads, it never shot outside of 2 inches. I guess I will stick with the 200 gr. RN for this rifle. They look "traditional" for the .35 Rem. anyway, though "tradition" doesn't count much for accuracy. In this case maybe it does.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
2_many_marlins,

That 200 gr. will be great for hogs eh?? :lol:

Dave 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave,
That was my objective in getting the .35 to hit where I aim. I was thinking to carry it as a back-up for the hog hunt next month. My primary gun will be either the 444 or the 450, depending on which one shoots better the next trip to the range. I may just bring all three so I can argue with myself about which one to use. The 44 mag is shooting good too, so I have to consider it as well. Man! all these tough decisions a man needs to make! LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts