Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished gettin' this one all sorted out. Found a 18.5" factory sporter barrel in 17HM2 with fire sights, on eBay couple weeks ago. Already had the factory 22LR barrel & the 22Short barrel I had relined & chambered for the shorts. After I got my modified stock back from being used as a pattern (for the walnut stock on my 96/17HM2 w/the Clerke barrel), I did a little more modification on the pattern stock and fitted it to my other 96 action. Barrel channel is just slightly oversize but not so much it's a bother (also makes free floating nice :) ). It currently wears a Bushnell 1.5-4.5X shotgun scope with 60yd parallax but I'm not sure that is sufficient glass for the Mach2, and maybe not even for the 22LR. I'll have to do a little more checking at the range :roll: .

Anyway, here's pix of the rifle alone (wearing the 17HM2 barrel), and with the two extra barrels, the 22Short barrel is in the middle with the modified "Short" magazine, & the original 22LR barrel is at the bottom. Only takes a few minutes to change out barrels, and the Leupold "Scopesmith" magnetic boresighter puts 'er close enough on paper that only a few rounds are usually needed for zero. You need one of these Sarge :!: -

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Interesting, especially the stock. What was it originally, before modification?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doc - That is an old beater Ruger 96/22 stock that I bid in off eBay for ten bucks shipped :D . Did considerable modification/addition to it. If interested you can see some pix at this link http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88261 - After fitting it to this 96 action with the factory barrels, I decided the forearm was a little too long and shortened it a couple inches (I'm kinda partial to about a 60:40 ratio barrel/forearm) and repainted.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks like a nice rig. Ive thought of taking a 10-22 and turning into a 17mach. What other mods are needed other than a barrel?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Mr Joe: Look at E. A. Brown for one of their 10/22 conversion kits.

Nobody 39: I also am a 96 fan. Depending on when you see it, my 96/22 sports a heavy barrel in 22LR with a 1:18 twist, a Heavy barrel 1:9 twist, or a 17 Aguila heavy barrel. I am a real fan of the 96. Did you send your stock off to be duped or is someone going to be making them and used yours as a pattern? I would like to make one out of walnut sometime...

My other 96 is a 96.17 that I picked up a 17HMR tapered octagon barrel for. That should be sweet in a stock that is patterned after a Savage 99 with a full length Unertl on top. Sigh! Next winter's project...

Nice rifle. Enjoy! ~Andrew

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Joe -

Quite a few of the guys on Rimfire Central have gone the 10/22 mod route with varying degrees of success. Appears that it requires either a heavier bolt/bolt handle, or some other way of delaying the initial rearward motion of the bolt.

The Mach2 round specs call for the same max pressure as the 22/22mag/17HMR rimfires, but the pressure curve begins much quicker and apparently spikes earlier, resulting in bulged, and sometimes blown cases in the autoloaders.

E. Arthur Brown (EABCO) devised a heavier bolt handle that they sell in a kit along with an aftermarket bull barrel in 17HM2. Seems to work for some and not so well for others :?: . Volquartsen has a heavier bolt that appears to work well but they're pricey :roll: .

Marlin has an autoloader in the works (model 717??) but haven't heard any news lately on its release date. Thompson Center has an autoloader similer to their T/C Classic, been reviewed in one of the gun rags, scheduled for release later this month (I've heard that story before too :wink: , vis-a-vis the G2 Contenders that were scheduled almost monthly for what seemed like a couple of years :? ).

Don't seem to be any problems in a rifle with locked breech, i.e., bolt guns, lever actions, or the single shots such as the Contenders, NEF, or Savage's little reproduction of the old Stevens Favorites. I have a relined Ruger VBZ barrel in 17HM2 for my 77/22 that works pretty well but is rather heavy for a carry gun. That's the primary reason I did the 96's.

Also bought a Green Mountain .920" heavy barrel in 17HS (Aguila) that I tried on my 10/22. It didn't bulge any cases with the 17Aguila but had feeding problems, probably due to the case profile, and accuracy wasn't for sh!t, so I had the chamber reamed on out to 17HM2. I put it on one of the 96 actions and it did much better with the Mach 2 & even the 17Aguila was acceptable. Still had problems with feeding the Aguila but I believe that could be "tweaked" with a little work on the magazine feed ramp.

There's lots of bolt rifles being made for the little Mach2 round, from relatively inexpensive Savages & Marlins, through the mid-price CZ, Ruger 77's, Rem 504, higher dollar Kimbers & right on through the Coopers & Anschutz's that start around a grand & go up :shock: .

Some folks are already touting the "death/extinction" of the 17Aguila & the Mach2. They may be on to something with the Aguila (ammo is not really plentiful & I don't personally know of any rifles being mfg'd for it) but I think they're somewhat premature in such talk about the Mach2. While it'll never (in my estimation) replace the 22 as a plinker (ammo expense) it definitely has a niche and with at least 4 different brands of ammo being produced, and the many "big name" firearms mfg'rs on board, I think it'll be around for a while :!: .

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Now that's some good stuff right there! I still want a belt fed .17 HM2. A mini 1919 would suffice. It'd rain critters from the sky the day I get my paws on one of those. 8)

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andrew -

I sent my modified stock to Claude Gatewood in Ohio. He's a sponsor on RFC & works mostly with 10/22 stuff but he has a duplicating machine & charges around $85 labor to dupe a stock. I had him do it in one of his standard grade Claro blanks & it came out great. Inletting was almost a drop in fit but not quite. He said he didn't keep a pattern but that he has one very similar that he's going to have available soon. I'm well pleased with his work. Probably didn't put in more than three/four hours removing duplication tool marks, sanding & final shaping in prep for finishing. Here's pix of it so far (still a work in progress :wink: ) -

1 - 10 of 10 Posts