Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys...I'm not sure if this has been done or not so if it has I apologize but I'm completely open to someone sending threads for me to go read...

What I want is simple to explain, seemingly hard to accomplish.

I want to have similar bullets(Flat Nose), different weights and loads set up to give me the same point of aim out of one rifle.

My hope is to have two or three different complete cartridges on my stock cartridge holder that will give me the same point of aim at distances with my 2-7 sight out of my Marlin 336BL.

I'm sure this has been done or at LEAST thought of before...it has to...

If no one has any information about it, I'm going to play with my reloading equipment and see if this can be accomplished.
Desired result; go hunting for X, but be prepared for Y and Z...or grab and go "preparedness" rifle and cartridges.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Welcome to Marlinowners!

I have tried to find two different loads for my 45-70 that has the same POI but wasn't successful. While they might hit at the same place at 25 yards, they were feet apart at 100 yards. I have given up on that idea and have my guns sighted in for my hunting load and use my "plinking" loads for shooting cans with the grand kids under 20 yards.

Key

Reactions: BFPGW and Chigger

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
The best you can do is load to the same velocity and hope for the best. No guarantees.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
You can probably do it but it is nearly impossible to do it with max loads in all bullet weights. You need the barrel nodes to be the same when the bullet exits and it will most likely take A LOT of reloading to get it close. But yes it can be done. But it might be cheaper in the end to buy a different gun for different bullet or adjustable scope or peep.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Your leaving out what Calipier you want to reload
I could load my 35 rem RC with 180 jacketed Fn from speer with BL-2 and load RCBS - mold 200 gr. FNGC with Varget and have the same point of Aim .So off season I shot the lead and then deer hunting I shot the speer . Mind you I did shoot a few deer with the lead to .
Thing to note , you need to clean your rifle barrel real good between shooting the lead and then going to jacketed bullets , or you layer the deposits .

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
This is an interesting question. I think it can be done or at least get close, but never tried it. As previously mentioned by njcioffi a good starting place would be to duplicate velocities as close as you can and tweak as required.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've heard of .375 caliber cartridges delivering nearly same POI with varying loads but that it.
Are you talking .375 H&H? Because the .375 and many other DG cartridges have an expanding and a solid load that are intended to have identical POI.
I think you may be in for a lot of work to get loads of different weights for different game to achieve the same POI. I generally load up for the largest critter I'm likely to hunt and with careful application harvest considerably smaller game.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If you are talking pinpoint accuracy - physics is not on your side - especially as you push ranges out farther.

Now.. If you are talking keeping them within a 4" circle at 100 yards - then it's probably doable assuming you have very good bench skills....

For example - slightly different nose lengths and profiles tends to engage the rifling slightly differently - which can lead to left or right of center groups....
Different velocities and BC's tend to lead to up and down of center groups....

Then - in-between the farthest target and the gun - the drop also tends to be different - some tend to be more "Loopy" and others tend to be more "Flat"...

So... What's acceptable that will tell you you have succeeded? What is unacceptable and tells you that you have failed?

If you are looking to be able to shoot anything into the same 1" group without any adjustments - then you may as well head on down the road... Not going to happen.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Try throwing a small, light rock. Then try the same with a large heavy rock.............At a given distance of course. Both round rocks> same guy throwing the rocks. Will they hit the same place?

I think not.........................

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Has been done where lighter loads shoot to about the same at closer range. Unless you get lucky it takes a lot of powder and testing. Example. My 32-20 seems to hold pretty good with the 120 and 100 grain cast bullets without any sight changes. However I have a box of Rmington jacketed in 100 grains that throw high and to the right. All are in the same basic velocity range. The other issue lies in what is the same point of aim? As has been mentioned, maybe a 4 inch difference? Some rifles handle different bullet weights fairly close for larger game where one might use a heavier bullet up close and a lighter one for longer distance, with the rifle sighted in for the light one. O'Connor mentioned he could do that with the 270 and 150 and 130 grain bullets. Biggest use I would have for two loads would be a small game load and a large game load where at closer ranges one could use a lighter laod and then load the regular load for larger game. Some have done that where the lighter load and the regular load work within about 25 yards or so.
I have reaad an article where one writer tested spitzers and flat noses against each other out of a 30-30. The idea being that some carry spitzers in the chamber for long shots. He did not find athe differences in impact to be all that significant at ranges one would use the 30-30.

DEP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your leaving out what Calipier you want to reload
I could load my 35 rem RC with 180 jacketed Fn from speer with BL-2 and load RCBS - mold 200 gr. FNGC with Varget and have the same point of Aim .So off season I shot the lead and then deer hunting I shot the speer . Mind you I did shoot a few deer with the lead to .
Thing to note , you need to clean your rifle barrel real good between shooting the lead and then going to jacketed bullets , or you layer the deposits .
I'm looking at the 125gr Speer FNHP, 150gr FN and the 170gr RN right now. If I can get it to work I MIGHT go a little more diverse and get a 115gr FNGC, 173gr FNGC and 220gr RNGC from beartoothbullets.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So... What's acceptable that will tell you you have succeeded? What is unacceptable and tells you that you have failed?
I would say "acceptable" to me would be similar point of impact for two of the three rounds I was looking at. If not, maybe I'll just have to use the ballistics for a good heavier round(leverevolution 160gr) and load to make the 125gr FNHP hit the same place at a distance I want. All of which I understand are relative terms but when it comes down to it, it shouldn't really matter the specific distances, especially if the desired result is or is not able to be accomplished. I'm going to try and will update as I make my attempts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the plethora of knowledge. I've got some equipment and I'm going to try it out. By what my brain is reading and what makes the most sense, I may do just as was stated, make a light and heavy load then play with what hits where and just get used to it...but that's if I don't get some sort of decent result out of my quest...Any further information is welcome as I will keep checking and eventually updating with my findings.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I would say "acceptable" to me would be similar point of impact for two of the three rounds I was looking at. If not, maybe I'll just have to use the ballistics for a good heavier round(leverevolution 160gr) and load to make the 125gr FNHP hit the same place at a distance I want. All of which I understand are relative terms but when it comes down to it, it shouldn't really matter the specific distances, especially if the desired result is or is not able to be accomplished. I'm going to try and will update as I make my attempts.
Barrel harmonics aren't just up and down. They also go left and right. When the bullet goes through they rifling, the barrel whips in a circular pattern like the rifling. So you can't just adjust for ballistics.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
658 Posts
One of my 336 35 Remington shoots the 200 grain factory loaded core lokt's and 200 grain factory loaded FTX's to the same point of impact at 100 yards. I've heard of and witnessed the ftx's shooting much higher in other guns but, not in this one!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it. God Bless

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Best I have done was with a 444 that would take three different weights on the same vertical plane. It's sighted in at 75yds with a strongly loaded 290cast and the lighter loaded Horn265 hitting very, very close. Then I have another heavy loaded 320gr cast bullet that will be right on just under 50yds. This ones for bear protection, so I figure if it's over 50yds, I can't call it a threat.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I apologize. I didn't realize you were referring to bullets of different weights. God Bless
It's actually quite hard to get two different bullets of the same weight to get the same POI even. Not all rifles will do that.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts