Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey Q,

Great looking "Mannlicher" Carbine!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
14,888 Posts
"Got it back after 27 years." WOW is there more to that story that you can tell?

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That is just sexy!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is purty ain't it? Well, my Dad bought it when I was 10 and put it away until my 21st birthday but in 79 it was stolen along with some other guns including a 1929 Marlin lever 410.. I got that back too but that's another story. I spent years looking for a Sako like the one my Dad bought but couldn't find one. I really wanted to leave it to my son. So in 2006 I wrote the Sako company and asked them about the rifle and they told me it was one of 98 that they made that year in 300 Win Mag in a Mannlicher. I decided to find a pre 74 L61R in 300 and bed it in a Mannlicher and that would be close enough so I started looking on auction sites. Next thing you know I'm looking at photos of my rifle on a Texas auction site 2000 miles and 27 years later and I look at the serial numbers and low and behold, there's my rifle. After a few phone calls, they were more then happy to send it to me (I jest) and upon receiving it, I found the bore very good, the bluing the same, the action tight, but the stock trashed. I sent it to a gun smith and had it restored. Now I'm looking for just the right scope so I can get a moose this fall. Horray!!

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Beautiful gun. I had a Sako Mannilicher in 7 Mag a long time ago that had a Sako peep sight mounted on it. The peep just slides over the base and bolts down, very handy but hard to find. At the moment I have a 300 H&H L61R with a muzzle break but have not really shot it that much. Brass was hard to get but a guy I know picked up 6 boxes of once fired brass back in the 60ties and I traded him some bullets for the brass. I walked into a gun shop back on the early eighties and there set a pristine Sako Mannlicher in 222 mag for 400 dollars but dummy me I left and called the next day and someone had bought it. You are lucky the gun came back home.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Beautiful little rifle! I tried to buy one from the Rod & Gun Club when I was stationed in Germany, 1972. I was only 19 and the Captain didn't want to sign for me; he didn't want the extra paperwork of me having to keep it in the Armory or send it home. Bummer. Mine was in .308. He did me the same way on a Winchester Model 100 Carbine in .308.

·
Banned
457 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.