Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a barrel maker who makes a .17 mach2 barrel for a Sako Finnfire.
It would be the easiest thing in the world to simply take off the .22 barrel and drop in the .17, and theoretically the magazine should accept the .17 round, as it is based on the .22 rimfire. 8)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Tenex: Hi! Are the SAKO barrels pinned or threaded? If they are pinned than it would be far from easy to replace. Even threaded barrels would have the need for some fitting. I had the pleasure of shooting a SAKO when I was visiting Centurion Ordnance last June. If my Sako shot like that gun did I wouldn't even think of removing the barrel. I've shot the 17M2. It's fast and accurate, but nothing to risk a good 22LR on. My custom 77/22 will shoot great groups at 50M with the 17M2 barrel installed, but I have several 22LR's that are as accurate, and hit harder when loaded with the proper ammo. A friend of mine is visiting from Scotland. He took the opportunity to do an evaluation of the M2 for a shooting club journal back home. He thinks it will be a year before the M2 arrives in the UK. It's nothing to get too anxious over. (My opinion, at least!) ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andrew.
The Sako barrels are just slid into place and fixed with two big bolts that clamp onto the action. The headspace is adjusted by just allowing the barrel to make contact with the bolt face and then just tightening everything up.
It’s as easy as pie to take the barrel off and replace it with another, which is why I wondered about the Mach 2 because nothing else would require changing.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well! In that case you could certainly get a barrel built here in the US but wouldn't you have to get it Proofed? I know some Green Mountain 17HMR barrels that went to the UK had to be proofed before sale. If you can get me the exact shank dimensions I can see what I can do for you.~Andrew

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not quite as easy as that I’m afraid. Before we can get another barrel over here, we have to apply for permission to buy one, as they are classed as a firearm in their own right and therefore need a “Variation” to our firearm certificates in order to “Acquire” one.
My reason for asking was so that if and when I apply for one, I can go with the information in hand, and then when (IF) I get the go ahead , I could then see about getting hold of one.
I could buy a cheap CZ in .17 HMR but the ammo is stupidly expensive over here at @ $40 per 100. :shock: The .17 Mach 2 is supposed to be a lot cheaper as it is based on the .22 lr.
Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just got back from my favorite gun store in Dallas, and they said they are waiting for a Sako new for 2005, that will have four interchangeable barrels, .22, .22Mag .17HMR and .17HM2. I gotta check that out for sure.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take it that when they say four interchangeable barrels, they mean that the .22 Mag’ and the .17HMR will be interchangeable with each other.
And the .22 rf and the .17 Mach 2 will swap around. :?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Must be. Making all the rounds feed through anything but a single shot would be an engineering chore.~Andrew

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Nice size Hare, Tenex. The gun is interesting- is the moderator your own work, or a custom job?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s a Webley silencer bought from the Webley factory just ¼ mile away. They also shortened the barrel and sent it away for re-proof for me.
The gunsmith who did it is a man called Ivan Hancock, who is the top guy at “Venom Arms”, which are a part of the Webley scene now.
He even faced-off the rear of the silencer to ensure it was square to the bore.
Very good workmanship. :D
http://www.webley.co.uk/venom.php3

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info’. Will be interesting to see if they will be selling them in dear old Blighty. :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts