Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

First post, just getting back into the Marlin 30-30 scene after a quarter century absence, been having and enjoying a bit of a splurge. One of the reasons for this splurge is that I believe shortages are inevitable so I acquired some reloading materials, with a view to buying a press in the near future. Bought a Lee Loader too, didn't intend to but supplies are running short where I live, appears to be some slim pickings online too. I'm enjoying practicing with the device and even though I'm doing a lot of my own research both here and elsewhere I have a couple of questions to ask of you good people. I'm not looking to make hot loads, a few months ago I bought a brand new Marlin 336s in Australia and the last thing I want to do is harm it or anybody around me.

I'm in Australia so using the load data provided by ADI I need to put 30.5 grains of the powder I have, AR2206H, behind a 150 grain Sierra Flat Nose jacketed bullet to make a starting load. The dipper provided with the Lee Loader is 1.9cc and according my calculations using the Lee VMD chart that yields 26.6 grains of AR2206 which according to ADI is very similar to AR2206H and would make a soft. To make the starting load, according to my calculations I need 2.2cc of AR2206H.

I've made 5 dummy rounds using new and my spent brass to test chambering and the crimp and everything's to spec. I was waiting on a grain scale to make live rounds but range day is fast approaching and I'd love to fire some reloaded ammo. My questions are...

Are my calculations correct?

Is using 1.9cc of AR2206H above a 150 flat nosed grain jacketed bullet a safe soft load?

Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have never used that powder. With that being said, typically the starting data is much lower for cast then it is for jacketed bullets of the same weight.

Definitely pick up a powder scale. And manuals.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It seems that 1.9cc would be a little light if it is in fact the same powder asH4895 as what it states in this link
My Lee Manual shows a starting load of 30.5 H4895 or 2.22cc for a 150 jacketed bullet and that matches the Hodgdon web site staring load..
I would think a heavy scoop of the AR2206H should put you very close.
Not sure if that helps any but if all I had was a 1.9cc dipper I would try to make it work,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems that 1.9cc would be a little light if it is in fact the same powder asH4895 as what it states in this link
My Lee Manual shows a starting load of 30.5 H4895 or 2.22cc for a 150 jacketed bullet and that matches the Hodgdon web site staring load..
I would think a heavy scoop of the AR2206H should put you very close.
Not sure if that helps any but if all I had was a 1.9cc dipper I would try to make it work,
Thanks, On the chart provided (1.9cc 26.1 gr) of H4895 is used to drive a 170 jacketed bullet at 1702fps 31.7gr gives 2068fps. At first glance logic tells me that if 26.1 grains can drive a 170 then it should safely propel a 150 out of a 20 inch barrel. I just found ADI's advice on soft loads on page 23 of this manual states that a soft load should be at least 60% of the maximum load using AR2206H. That equals only 20.4 grains, whereas 26.6 grains equals 78% of maximum load. So much information, I'll wait for the scales!

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
100 Posts
G'Day from SA. Welcome to the forum. I'm away from home at present,
but I'll contact you when I return with some load info.
regards, Chris

Reactions: Wobbegong and Boris

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It is my understanding that H4895 is rebranded AR2206H.

Hodgdon publishes a great deal of reduced load tested data for this powder.
They publish a Min/Max range for this bullet of 30.5 / 34.0 grains

Using their published 60% reduced loads for H4895, this would be an bottom of 20.4 grains.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I haven’t used 2206h but regularly use 2207 for reduced load in my 30/30 (under single action rifle loads ADI manual).
I use 2208 under 180gn gas checked cast around 1800fps.
A set of scales would be high on my list, I’ve an old set of lee scales not being used. Where are you located?
I got a cheap set of electronic scales from the local smoke shop for bugger all I use to check bullet weights quickly in grains that would work to confirm your cc measurements weights.
From adi manual - single action rifle, 30/30 (cast doesn’t develop as much pressure as jacketed)
160 GR. CAST LFN
AR2206H.308"2.485"17.5 grain1351 fps15200 cup21.0 grain1562 fps23100 cup

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Hello All!

First post, just getting back into the Marlin 30-30 scene after a quarter century absence, been having and enjoying a bit of a splurge. One of the reasons for this splurge is that I believe shortages are inevitable so I acquired some reloading materials, with a view to buying a press in the near future. Bought a Lee Loader too, didn't intend to but supplies are running short where I live, appears to be some slim pickings online too. I'm enjoying practicing with the device and even though I'm doing a lot of my own research both here and elsewhere I have a couple of questions to ask of you good people. I'm not looking to make hot loads, a few months ago I bought a brand new Marlin 336s in Australia and the last thing I want to do is harm it or anybody around me.

I'm in Australia so using the load data provided by ADI I need to put 30.5 grains of the powder I have, AR2206H, behind a 150 grain Sierra Flat Nose jacketed bullet to make a starting load. The dipper provided with the Lee Loader is 1.9cc and according my calculations using the Lee VMD chart that yields 26.6 grains of AR2206 which according to ADI is very similar to AR2206H and would make a soft. To make the starting load, according to my calculations I need 2.2cc of AR2206H.

I've made 5 dummy rounds using new and my spent brass to test chambering and the crimp and everything's to spec. I was waiting on a grain scale to make live rounds but range day is fast approaching and I'd love to fire some reloaded ammo. My questions are...

Are my calculations correct?

Is using 1.9cc of AR2206H above a 150 flat nosed grain jacketed bullet a safe soft load?

Thanks!
Wobbegong,

Attached is a link to a post I started a few years back for all. You will find a link to ADI powder mfg load data.

Cheers

LOAD DATA AND REFERENCES

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
It is my understanding that H4895 is rebranded AR2206H.

Hodgdon publishes a great deal of reduced load tested data for this powder.
They publish a Min/Max range for this bullet of 30.5 / 34.0 grains

Using their published 60% reduced loads for H4895, this would be an bottom of 20.4 grains.
Correct

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is probably a good idea also you may want to find a manual the that explains how bullet weight effects case pressure.
Thanks, found a re-loader who explains the dangers of too much space in the case when the cartridge is horizontal. Tried the level dipper and it fills the case to 5mm below the seated bullet so when horizontal the powder would burn well enough but the scales come next week. Will have to skip reloads this Saturday's range day!
G'Day from SA. Welcome to the forum. I'm away from home at present, but I'll contact you when I return with some load info. regards, Chris
Thanks Chris!
It is my understanding that H4895 is rebranded AR2206H. Hodgdon publishes a great deal of reduced load tested data for this powder. They publish a Min/Max range for this bullet of 30.5 / 34.0 grains
Thanks, I saw that on the ADI site too and I wasn't sure of what they meant by minimum or starting load. All my factory ammo shoots almost to 2390ps. The Hodgson Data Centre starting load shoots at 2138, and max at 2390 couldn't find any other data on softer loads so thought the starting load was the minimum.
I haven’t used 2206h but regularly use 2207 for reduced load in my 30/30 (under single action rifle loads ADI manual).I use 2208 under 180gn gas checked cast around 1800fps.
A set of scales would be high on my list, I’ve an old set of lee scales not being used. Where are you located? I got a cheap set of electronic scales from the local smoke shop for bugger all I use to check bullet weights quickly in grains that would work to confirm your cc measurements weights. From adi manual - single action rifle, 30/30 (cast doesn’t develop as much pressure as jacketed)
160 GR. CAST LFN
AR2206H.308"2.485"17.5 grain1351 fps15200 cup21.0 grain1562 fps23100 cup
Tobacconists! Didn't think of that! I've got one coming, should've been here by now, next week. Thanks for the offer and all your information, this is a great forum, so good to own a Marlin again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did some more research and loaded up 10 and shot them on Saturday. Very happy with the result, the Lee Loader is great! The results are pictured, not definitive, buckhorn sights with a rest on a very windy day @ 100 metres and I was shooting pretty quickly but I'm happy. Also happy was my rifle club colleague who reloaded the 165 cast and coated cartridges. The dippers came today, scales later this week so I'll be doing better than this next time.

Thanks for all your feedback!
rangeday snip.PNG

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very encouraging results on your target. Factory and jacketed handloads are dispersed laterally indicating possible wind influence. Cast lead loads may be a little harder to diagnose. Check actual diameter of the projectiles; should be at least .308 or .309 to stop gas-cutting and blow by (detrimental to accuracy). Ensure that you have a firm crimp on the case mouths to assist with consistent ignition of powder charges. Flare the case mouths slightly to stop lead shaving off when seating bullets.
Have a look at the ADI website for "Single Action" loads in the "Technical Data" section. Also a look in the "FAQ" section may be helpful.
Looks like you are heading in the right direction, but getting hold of a load manual or two is essential. Also you haven't stated the year model of your rifle, this may affect the amount of potential leading in the barrel (microgroove to ballard rifling) when using cast bullets.
Good luck, have fun,
Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very encouraging results on your target. Factory and jacketed handloads are dispersed laterally indicating possible wind influence. Cast lead loads may be a little harder to diagnose. Check actual diameter of the projectiles; should be at least .308 or .309 to stop gas-cutting and blow by (detrimental to accuracy). Ensure that you have a firm crimp on the case mouths to assist with consistent ignition of powder charges. Flare the case mouths slightly to stop lead shaving off when seating bullets.
Have a look at the ADI website for "Single Action" loads in the "Technical Data" section. Also a look in the "FAQ" section may be helpful.
Looks like you are heading in the right direction, but getting hold of a load manual or two is essential. Also you haven't stated the year model of your rifle, this may affect the amount of potential leading in the barrel (microgroove to ballard rifling) when using cast bullets.
Good luck, have fun,
Chris
Thanks Chris
The cast bullets were reloaded by a very experienced fellow club member. Alas, my Marlin is not a true Marlin, my original is long gone, I bought it last December, it's a 336c, microgroove. I won't be loading cast till I get a press as the Lee Loader deforms the pill. Been reading and watching a lot, reloading's half the fun!

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts