Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Been a 45/70 owner since 1991. Winchester 1886 was my first gun. Bought it at a pawn shop for myself on my 21st birthday. I still have it and it's got an interesting history I'll share someday. Since then I bought and sold a BFR 45/70, bought and still own a 1895GS.
The 1895GS is probably 10+ years old and that gun is what brought me here. Haven't done a search yet, and I hope I'm not the only one that is having feed ramp problems the the Hornady 325gr Lever ammo.
Thanks for having me, I hope to gain a lot of knowledge here.
Greg

·
Registered
20,520 Posts
Welcome to MO from South Florida! Haven't experienced any problems myself with the Hornady's, but others should be along shortly with some experience with this issue and a possible solution for you!

Reactions: MrDenton

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country.
A great place for friends to gather around the campfire and visit

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where's the Texas hill country? I have friends and family in Lubbock and Texas Law school, South of San Antonio and in Denton.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Where's the Texas hill country? I have friends and family in Lubbock and Texas Law school, South of San Antonio and in Denton.
Texas Hill Country is essentially the area around Austin. I'm no expert, just married to a "natural born Texican".

Welcome to the forum. I've never had a problem with the 325LE factory ammo but there may be someone here who can offer some assistance.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Welcome from NE Indiana. My 1894 44 mag fed the gummytips with no issues, but that is a long from being a 45-70.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina!! For your feed ramp issues....it may not be the ramp, but the mag follower(it's in the magazine tube), it's the easiest thing to try to fix first. Check if yours is metal or plastic (I'm betting it's plastic)...if so try an aluminum follower...(Wild West Guns makes one), it fixes the problem most of the time...if not, then you might have to look at the ramp, but I wouldn't mess with that till I tried the new follower first.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! If you don't get an answer right here, then post your problem in the 45-70 section of the forum -- lots of expertise there. John

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I want expecting an answer here, just wanted to introduce myself and give a little history as to how I ended up here.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome aboard! Not sure if your exact problem, but as someone mentioned would look at your magazine follower. From my impressions, the issue seems to be more prevelent with the bigger bore calibers using the Hornady Leverevolution, and probably because of the steeper feed angles. Can't remember when the change was made exactly, but the follower design was changed to help with feed/jam problems using the Hornady FTX (gummie tip) ammunition after it came out. The new type followers are dimpled and/or concave to keep the tip from binding between tube and follower, while the old type design is flat and have a generous bevel/radius around the outer edge. You can get replacements in plastic, aluminum, brass, and stainless steel; not hard to replace either. I just changed the one in my 444P a couple of days ago in fact.
Good luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
16,017 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You win the award for the most colorful welcome.
Beautiful state you live in. Spent a few years up there with the USCG.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just took a quick look, the follower is orange plastic. Doesn't appear to be concaved, but more convex. Would a serial number help?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts