Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just reached a milestone with the SG 444, 2.700 COL project gun. The 2.700 COL with Beartooths 405 grain bullet, will load, cycle, feed, and eject in the Marlin action!!! ;D To get to this point the modifications to the Marlin action have been extensive, but, the strength of the action has not been compromised in any way. I am waiting for some new reamers to set the throat out a bit to make room for the 405 grain bullet in the new 2.700 COL, and when that job is complete I will be out to the range to start working up loads. My goal is a 405 grain bullet at 2150 fps (4100+ ft lbs), the ballistic equivilant of the 450-400 Nitro Express. If I can meet that goal, and, with the right bullet, this Marlin XLR will be capable of taking any game animal on the planet. I am heading out for deer season shortly, and I am hoping by the time I get back, that the reamers will be waiting for me. I would like to make this a done deal by years end, so hopfully I will have the results by then....only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Can't wait to see what that sucker does FlatTop, thanks for keeping us all informed.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
That is fantastic. have you many bullet choices beside the 405 gr Beartooth? Perhaps a custom mold from Mountain molds or something along those lines.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aussie 1;........me too!!! After I studied the Marlin action, I knew I could get the 2.700 COL, and "on paper" the 405 at 2150 is doable... that doesnt mean that it will work out, but, I am going to give it an honest shot!!!

mt_sourdough; This COL will be able to utilize just about any long nose heavy bullet from 325 on up to the 405. I work with Beartooths for experimentation purposes, and they are of excellent "hunting" quality, so, for me they are a good choice. I am also trying to pursue a solid in 400 grain....have it made professionaly, but, whether something like that would be "needed" is doubtful.....unless of course the elephants in my neighborhood go on the rampage. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,929 Posts
Flat Top said:
This Marlin XLR will be capable of taking any game animal on the planet
With the right Ammo the 444 can already do that now! 8) Great job so far, I hope you achieve your goal!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm really interested in what all you had to do to the action to get it to handle 2.7 inch C.O.L. A year or two ago, I considered what would be necessary to get a 375 JDJ to work in a Marlin action and concluded that it probably wasn't going to happen.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
you will neverreach 450-400 nito levels. u can match the 404 win. 300 at 22oo fps. but a400 at 2200 never do it. the 45-70 just makes the 450-400- levels with a 400 gr.. grizzley loads both rounds hot and he said it could not be done.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Starrbow!!! I appreciate your support!

Duhawki647; If the Marlin will withstand the pressures (I "think" the JDJ is rated at 44,000 psi....correct me if I am wrong, and remember, it "is" a shouldered case), and the bullet you use does not create a COL of more than 2.700, I dont see why it would not work. I believe the COL of the JDJ is around 3.100 with the jacketed bullets that are used in Contenders......I can probably get another .030 (over the 2.700) or so out of the Marlin action, but that would be a real stretch...I set up my action on a 2.710 standard and much more would require modifications that would adversely affect the strength of the action, and I do not want to go there!

Redneck;........never say never! When I was a child, my daddy always told me that "cant... never got nothin' done!" My Marlin 444 (the "Peashooter"), has already exceeded the 2200 fps mark with a 300 grain bullet, and the 2260 fps mark with a 325 grain bullet....COL is 2.660.....in a 16 1/2" barrel!!!............I will say that again....a 16 1/2" barrel!!! Grizzley is loading OEM COL's (about 2.550 I imagine)...and with that COL he is correct...a stock 444 will not achieve the power that my modified 444's will. I posted an article on here a while back that explained the why's and wherefore's of what I did with the Peashooter, and my vision for the Safari Grade 444.....

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
why are u bringing up a jdj round. the 450-400 uses a 400 gr. bullet not a 300. if the guys in the lab say its bin tried ill go along with them.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
duhawki647; Beartooth makes two .375 bullets that will work with the JDJ in a Marlin with a 2.700 COL.........The 250 LFNGC using the existing nose to crimp lenght will give you a 2.700 COL. The 265 FNGC has a shorter nose to crimp lenght and will give a 2.693 COL. With these two bullets your idea is doable, in one of my modified Marlins. If you go to the shopping cart on the Beartooth website, you can look up these two bullets, and if they give you enough case capacity (the seating depth will give you that info), and the cartridge will perform as intended, it may be worth considering.

Redneck; I know that the 450-400 uses a 400 grain bullet....thats why I am working with Beartooths 405..... Seeing as you dont believe a word of what I am trying to relay with this topic....if I fail, and dont make the velocity of 2150....you will be the first to know. If I DO make the 2150, I will never say anything to you....dont want to hurt your feelings or anything like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts