Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the SG 444 stack up/compare with some powerful and historically proven big game cartridges from past to present? That was my question, so, I ran the numbers and compiled this data to find out.

The "max" loads listed for the SG 444 are "proof of performance" loads. All the power in the world is no good unless superb accuracy accompanies it. My world class "field" loads are: a 310 grain bullet at 2450 fps, and a 410 grain bullet at 2160 fps. For all North American hunting I backed the 410 grain bullet load down a bit, and have settled on the 410 grain bullet at 2125 fps. This load is supremely accurate and still delivers the advertised 4000+ ft lbs of the modification, and is perfect for the weight of my rifle....its easy on me, easy on the gun, and decisive on any game animal that North America can offer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
What kind of pressures are you generating?

My 416 Ruger produces 5115 ft. pounds of energy and fits in a standard length action. But, that's at 62,000 psi.!
Ballistic performance
Bullet mass/typeVelocityEnergy
400 gr (26 g)2,400 ft/s (730 m/s)5,115 ft·lbf (6,935 J)

T.S.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pressures are fine....case length and case head expansion measurements are well within acceptable tolerances for my rifle, primers are good, and primer pockets (and the cases for that matter) last near forever. The cartridges with all loads extract from the chamber with no resistance, accuracy is impeccable, FPS and SD's are uniform, and after 4000+ test rounds the action is still as tight and crisp as the day it was built. There is no bolt block trauma. It is hard to compare my modified 444 to an OEM 444 but the recoil factor is not much more than top end loads in an OEM Marlin. My shooting buddy Joe loves to shoot the SG 444 and has put a good number of rounds through it, and he compares the recoil to no more than his 45-70 shooting a 300 grain bullet at 2200 fps or so, and to me the recoil feels about the same as well.

You mentioned that your 416 Ruger pressure is 62,000 psi.............where did you have your gun tested? I would like to have mine tested as well, but have never been able to find a source locally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts