Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........well, almost. Just finishing up my deer loads for the upcoming season. This is the Safari 260 bullet at 2385 fps. mt_sourdough (on the 444 forum) has done some testing with my BTB Safari 410 bullet for the SG 444 and I sent him some cup point and flat point bullets for a side by side comparison test. The cup points exhibited straighter penetration, and penetration was near as deep as the flat points. It seems that the cup point keeps the nose from rolling over upon impact and increases the bullets ability to deform more uniformly and drive straight. Anyway, I decided to start using this cup point modification on my SG 35 260 bullets, and hopefully they will be field tested in November on an unsuspecting deer. Here is a photo (because everybody like photos) of the first row of 260's cup pointed, with row number two to follow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Those are the coolest 35rem bullets I've ever seen!
How deep are they seated and what powder you using? Just wondering not planning on trying to duplicate.
Your SG444 is pretty cool but IMO your SG35 is the cat's meow.
Great work Flat Top.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are the coolest 35rem bullets I've ever seen!
How deep are they seated and what powder you using? Just wondering not planning on trying to duplicate.
Your SG444 is pretty cool but IMO your SG35 is the cat's meow.
Great work Flat Top.
They are seated just above the neck/shoulder junction. Powder is 46.8 grains of H-335, velocity 2380, energy 3269 ft lbs, TKO 31. This is the "short chamber" COL 2.570 I use this for reduced loads with the 260 grain bullet. The "long chamber" COL is 2.700 I use that for the top end loads with the 260 ( 2450+ fps for almost 3500 ft lbs), and I also will use it for the Safari 310 bullet (2250+ fps, for 3500 ft lbs or so.) which consumes the 2.700 COL..........its a long one!!!:biggrin:

The photo shows a 250 grain Speer up top, the fresh from the mold 260, then the 260 seated, and the 310 bullet seated...............gives you an idea, anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe a trip to Africa is in order... big bore fire power.
The 260 at 2400 fps duplicates the power of the 318 Westley Richards Nitro Express.......the 310 can loaf along at a sedate 2150 and duplicate the power of the 350-400 Nitro Express (350 Rigby), and it can be stepped up to exceed the power of the 333 Nitro Express.............so, this would make a very good African large plains game rifle, and, would be well suited to just about anything in North America.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Good god! 3269FPE out of a reduced load in a 35rem case! That's awesome!
I was tickled pink when I got a 220gr Speer FN to average 2223fps out of my 20 Inch 35.
Looks like the 220gr FPs seat at about the same depth as your dinosaur slayers.
How's your accuracy with those bad boys?

Reactions: Flat Top

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
........well, almost. Just finishing up my deer loads for the upcoming season. This is the Safari 260 bullet at 2385 fps. mt_sourdough (on the 444 forum) has done some testing with my BTB Safari 410 bullet for the SG 444 and I sent him some cup point and flat point bullets for a side by side comparison test. The cup points exhibited straighter penetration, and penetration was near as deep as the flat points. It seems that the cup point keeps the nose from rolling over upon impact and increases the bullets ability to deform more uniformly and drive straight. Anyway, I decided to start using this cup point modification on my SG 35 260 bullets, and hopefully they will be field tested in November on an unsuspecting deer. Here is a photo (because everybody like photos) of the first row of 260's cup pointed, with row number two to follow.
Must have!

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the last target I shot with this load (checking sighting). This is at 25 yards and with a 2.5X scope....and my miserable old man eyesight. I took one fouling shot to the side of the 5" paper plate, and then shot a three shot group. I then cleaned the barrel, and let the gun sit for about an hour..., then fired the 5 shot group. I had a big light change (from a grey dawn to bright sunlight) which accounts for the group printing in a different spot....but both groups measure about 3/8" center to center on the extreme spread. Taking that group size to 100 yards at MOA, the 100 yard group would be about 1.5" I have shot better than that at 100 and 200 with a high power scope, but all I use is a 2.5 or iron sights for hunting.....so, after initial load work, that is what stays on the rifle. Young eyes and a decent scope for longer range shots would garner much better groups than I am capable of shooting with my set up................

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Flat top, how do your loads handle high ambient temperature, say 105 degrees F?

Reactions: Flat Top

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Anything special about the frame or barrel? I read a little about it on another thread back when you worked it up and thought it was pretty interesting.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Flat top, how do your loads handle high ambient temperature, say 105 degrees F?
If I was to shoot in temps that hot, the load would have to be adjusted down (which is what sensible reloaders do). Even though the load would be reduced, the velocity could remain the same...at higher temps it takes less powder to produce a like velocity load that was developed at lower temperatures. My "median" hunting season temperature is 40 degrees, so I work up all my hunting loads, sight in, etc, at that temperature. I actually chronicled the changes in powder volume vs temperature with my SG 444 modified Marlin....I would have to hunt up my notes, but the change in velocities ( and therefor pressure) from 0 to 100 degrees was quite substantial.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anything special about the frame or barrel? I read a little about it on another thread back when you worked it up and thought it was pretty interesting.
No, nothing has been changed....it is the OEM action and barrel.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Flat Top,
If the cup point work so well, why would you load the flat point bullets?
Terry

ps. I still would like to shoot that bad boy, the next time you come to Minnesota.:biggrin:

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Terry! The flat point bullets are now all cup pointed. I have a tool that I use to cup point...I do it to the SG 444 bullets as well. I cancelled out of Brainerd for the Division race up there due to a prior commitment, but, I am hopeful that I can get up there for the national event. If I do, I will make every attempt to stop by and let you shoot the SG 35.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts