Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I need a vertical scabbard to strap to my saddle that will allow a quick clean draw when elk hunting with my 1895. Do you guys have any favorite brands or makers of such saddle leather?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,770 Posts
There are alot of good makers out there, from name brands to custom. if i was going to make a scabbard like that, I would use a premium cut of 4-5oz oil tanned cowhide, and fit it specifically to THAT rifle, so it wouldn't shake around too much. A vertical scabbard needs to be that way, because gravity dosen't hold the gun against the bottom. For an easy draw, one may want to make the scabbard shorter, thus revealing more of the stock, for access. These types are a little more involved to make, some attach to the "D" rings on the saddle rigging, and some use a loop that simply anchors to the saddle horn.
Don't skimp, you get what you pay for. But as I said, i would definately go with oil tanned leather. Two reasons: Some dyes used to color leather isn't good for your rifle's finish, and oil tanned leather is quite impervious to weather, as a hunting scabbard may see lots of.

·
Banned
382 Posts
Only saddle scabbard I ever owned I made. Used fake sheep for the liner and ordered the hide from tandy leather. Used posterboard for the pattern. Basically made the scabbard out of paper, fine tuned it how I liked it, then went to the costly stuff.

Reactions: evcam and navajo

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm looking for something like this too. I don't know if I want a vertical scabbard, I won't be shooting from my horse. I would like it covered so snow doesn't get in it.
All the leather ones I've looked at so far wouldn't hold a scopeless rifle very secure.

Key

Reactions: evcam

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are good leather ones out there. Relatively inexpensive.With top flap.

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Skinner sites have a few they make, I just recieved a nylon one built for the guide gun, it appears well built, nice light case, although a bit tight with the GBL, it is snug and made to fit for length, no zippers, will be using it a bunch once bear opens up. I also see on the web site a leather case, no doubt it is well made as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Keyston, and thanks The rock!
Keyston I live in Longmont, so we're neighbors. The last several years I've used a cordura scabbard with flap from Outfitter's Supply. Vertical because I don't like it under my leg (I use legs to cue my horse and stay off his face). It's worked well and also doesn't poke my horse as much. It is slow draw with a scoped 30-06, and last year's elk season I missed my only chance of the season to take a shot when we met a couple cows cresting a ridgeline.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey EvCam I also live in longmont. So howdy neighbor! We need to get together and shoot some big lead.

Steven

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi Keyston, and thanks The rock!
Keyston I live in Longmont, so we're neighbors. The last several years I've used a cordura scabbard with flap from Outfitter's Supply. Vertical because I don't like it under my leg (I use legs to cue my horse and stay off his face). It's worked well and also doesn't poke my horse as much. It is slow draw with a scoped 30-06, and last year's elk season I missed my only chance of the season to take a shot when we met a couple cows cresting a ridgeline.
Hi evcam,

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think about it under my leg. I'm new to horses so there is alot for me to still learn about them. I got my horse in September and it's been quite an experience so far. Of course I named him Marlin.

Key

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Skinner has a scabbard-like thing that is for carrying on your back. I don't see a saddle scabbard on their site. Thanks though.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,770 Posts
Have a look at www.jssaddlery.net This guy makes some nice scabbards. If you want one to fit snug, it would almost have to be lined with something soft. I've only built a couple of these, But if I was going to do one, I'd refer to this guy's work.

Reactions: evcam

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Navajo, that looks really good. I sure like his chaps and chinks- especially the hair on chinks. He looks like a class act.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Reactions: Big Poppa Pump

·
Registered
809 Posts
I recently made this, just to understand the construction and use a little more. I keep it mounted behind my back seat an move it to the tractor, four wheeler, or horse depending on where I am obviously. There are full flap and wrist flap attachments that can be added to a scabbard for retention purpose. In my eyes it'slike a holster, one with a proper fit will reduce the wear and one made out of good leather will last a lifetime. I made this out of two layers of veg tan, 7/8 and 4/5 with 7/8 oz straps. The lining is why it's fully stitched. I'd imagine you could ask a hundred folks and get a hundred answers so go find a maker that you like and spend the money once.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I recently made this, just to understand the construction and use a little more. I keep it mounted behind my back seat an move it to the tractor, four wheeler, or horse depending on where I am obviously. There are full flap and wrist flap attachments that can be added to a scabbard for retention purpose. In my eyes it'slike a holster, one with a proper fit will reduce the wear and one made out of good leather will last a lifetime. I made this out of two layers of veg tan, 7/8 and 4/5 with 7/8 oz straps. The lining is why it's fully stitched. I'd imagine you could ask a hundred folks and get a hundred answers so go find a maker that you like and spend the money once.

Nice work there Eagle Stroker. That'll be my approach also. I prefer making gear from leather. And, lining is a MUST in my book. Moisture/dirt/grit bedding itself into the suede fibers is begging for blueing rubs to sand down a nice gun. Did you machine stitch it, or saddle stitch it?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I also built a few of these to ride horizontaly on my quad. the longest part once you get a patern you like is the hand sewing but all in all it takes me about 2 hours to make it. Thes are obviously for a scoped guide gun but the fitting is quite universal. Edmonton-20130224-00116.jpg Edmonton-20130224-00117.jpg Edmonton-20130224-00118.jpg

Reactions: navajo
1 - 20 of 35 Posts