Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saddle Rings

E-bay has after market saddle rings for @ $10 and I was curious if anyone on here has tried one on their 94 and if so, is it a yea or ney. Is there a certain location to drill and tap the receiver ? Thanks for any answers. ;)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Saddle Rings

No experts on here with experience ???

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for replying :), mine is the older pre-safety so I'd have to tap.

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts

I'd try to find someone with an older (Pre-CBS) gun and figure out how to put one in the same place. Or perhaps someone can provide a photo of theirs, with measurements on where to drill. 8)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Apparentley no ones on here has done this.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

Ballplayer said:
Apparentley no ones on here has done this.
I don't have a saddle, or a horse for that matter, ::) but they are kinda cool tho. I'm sure someone has done this to a pre safety, they will be along by and by.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Ballplayer said:
E-bay has after market saddle rings for @ $10 and I was curious if anyone on here has tried one on their 94 and if so, is it a yea or ney. Is there a certain location to drill and tap the receiver ? Thanks for any answers. ;)
Just so you know, the after market saddle rings on eBay that sell for $10.00 can be purchased from Numrich for $3.35

$10.00 eBay after market Saddle Ring.

Numrich Product No. 560100 $3.35
"Polished blued-steel with patina stud. Requires receiver to be drilled and tapped with an 8-40 thread hole."

Same Thing.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

ziptar said:
Just so you know, the after market saddle rings on eBay that sell for $10.00 can be purchased from Numrich for $3.35

$10.00 eBay after market Saddle Ring.

Numrich Product No. 560100 $3.35
"Polished blued-steel with patina stud. Requires receiver to be drilled and tapped with an 8-40 thread hole."

Same Thing.
And unless they are just for decoration, that is about what they are worth. I suspect 95% of saddle rings nowadays are just decoration, but I sure wouldn't want to trust an 8-40 tapped thread to its true intended purpose.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

eaglesnest said:
And unless they are just for decoration, that is about what they are worth. I suspect 95% of saddle rings nowadays are just decoration, but I sure wouldn't want to trust an 8-40 tapped thread to its true intended purpose.
From your comment I can't tell if you have had any experience with the ring or tapping location that I was seeking ???

Reactions: 7fa

·
Registered
105 Posts

Please, please don't drill any extra holes in a pre-safety 94! I've got a 1972 saddle ring 44 Mag. It's a great little carbine but the ring is useless. Don't drill it. Buy a new remlin if you want to screw one up. I'm begging here. Mike

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts

Ballplayer said:
From your comment I can't tell if you have had any experience with the ring or tapping location that I was seeking ???
No, sorry no experience with saddle rings...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks Tallgrass, thats exactly what I was asking/looking for. Thanks again !

·
Registered
2,007 Posts

eaglesnest said:
And that decoration flapping around could cost you a shot. There's a reason there's a bunch of early .44s out there minus the ring and Marlin quit installing them. Wasn't all cost. There's also quiet. Deer get really spooked by sounds they aren't familiar with.

On the other hand, if you have a really early one with the ring intact, collectors are asking a bundle for one. Since I don't have a horse and am missing the rest of the rig that snaps on to it, it doesn't really attract me.

Stan

·
Registered
272 Posts

I have a Westpoint (Cotter & Co.) rifle that has a brass saddle ring. I think it is mounted a little farther back than the one on the 1894. I might get one of the blue saddle rings - the brass ring looks kind of cheesy.

I think Uncle Mike's also marketed the brass saddle rings back in the 1970's. I once had a 336 Texan with one of the brass saddle rings.

Cedar Creek

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts

stans4 said:
And that decoration flapping around could cost you a shot. There's a reason there's a bunch of early .44s out there minus the ring and Marlin quit installing them. Wasn't all cost. There's also quiet. Deer get really spooked by sounds they aren't familiar with.

On the other hand, if you have a really early one with the ring intact, collectors are asking a bundle for one. Since I don't have a horse and am missing the rest of the rig that snaps on to it, it doesn't really attract me.

Stan

That's pure myth about the noise. I suspect most guys that make this claim have never owned a saddle ring carbine and heard this claim from someone else. I own several saddle ring carbines and none of them make noise! They're stiff and stay motionless when carrying.

I made a stainless CBS replacement for my 1895GS before anyone was making them for the market and drilled & tapped the blank side for one of those $3 Numrich saddle rings......yeah it was for looks but it don't make noise either.

As for the comments about owning a horse......I don't own one either. The real purpose of the ring was to secure the rifle to the soldier........not a horse......so the soldier was never seperated from his rifle.

The 8-40 thread serves its purpose..........as long as the threads are to specs you couldn't yank that ring out of the threads if you tried!
Not even if you only had 3 threads deep!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I agree sixguns 100 %. It's amazing how posters can tell me what I will like and dislike about them and their uses when they've had no expereince with them. I've got my own opinion about scopes on lever rifles but I'm not going to tell someone not to mount one on their's because I don't "think" its a rifle intended for a scope. I'm gonna hang some dried coyote testicles from the rings, it'nt that what they were made for ?

Reactions: epochelyptikal

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts

Ballplayer said:
I'm gonna hang some dried coyote testicles from the rings, it'nt that what they were made for ?

;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts

If I were to drill & tap a reciever for a saddle ring I would buy one of Jim Wisners (Wisners Obsolete Gun Parts) replacements or look for a brass original. I see them on ebay every now and then.

The threads are not 8-40 on the originals..... I'll have to look it up when I get home in the morning. I think it lists the size on Wisners site too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts