Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A day to mark on the calendar…...

The 250,000 square foot production facility in North Haven is silent.

All production in North Haven, CT is stopped. I have completed my final production summary. The last production cell will be moved to Mayfield, KY early next week.

The final 27 factory employees will be gone by month's end, with a handful of maintenance and office personnel here until March 31 when the building is finally closed. My last day is Tuesday Feb. 15th.

Today I say goodbye to the remaining 5 employees in my departments. One employee alone will be retiring with 48 years of service with the company, and I leave with 24 years. Just the 6 of us represent over 100 years of experience at Marlin Firearms.

Here is a short Timeline of the North Haven Plant Shutdown:

March 2010 : Freedom Group announces North Haven Closing

May 2010 : First Product to leave North Haven – Semi-Auto Gunstock.

June 2010 : First Assembly Line Move (X7)

July 2010 : End of all Lever Action Barrel Production

August 2010 : End of all Gun Stock Production – Wood Dept. CLOSED

Sept. 2010 : Last Assembly Line Move – Assembly Dept. CLOSED

Oct. 2010 : End of all Lever Action Production.
End of Customer Service in North Haven

Nov. 2010 : End of all Small Parts Production, Semi-Auto and Bolt Action.

Dec. 2010 : End of all Barrel Production – Barrel Dept. CLOSED

Jan. 2011 : End of all Bolt Action Rimfire Production
End of all Bolt Action Centerfire Production (X7)

Feb. 2011 : End of all Finishing (Blue, Nickel, Polish, Heat Treat)
END OF ALL PRODUCTION IN CT.

March 2011 : FACILITY CLOSED

Sad, Sad day indeed..........

Dom

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
It's truly a sad day .. .. my prayers go out to all of the Employees.. I hope you all have a smooth transition to the future..

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Definitely a sad day indeed Dom.....i want to thank each and everyone of you guys and girls for making such a wonderful firearm!!!May God Bless you all and I hope that you all can find employment elsewhere!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Best of luck to you and the rest of the "Marlin Family" for whatever the future holds for each of you. Although Cerebus doesn't care about all of your dedication to serving the public, we certainly do! Watch what happens to the value of the guns made by honorable women and craftsmen such as yourself, the likes of which may never be seen in large corporate gun manufacturing again.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I feel for each of you losing your jobs and one I am sure you loved. I wish you and the others the best in starting a new career if you can find one. I gave 36 years to the finance industry and lost my job 2 years ago and now I guess I am retired. No one wants to hire a young 63 year old man with that much experience.

It is truely the end of an era with Marlin closing down this great manufacturing facility.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ya know, I got to thinking. I remember when Browning stopped manufacturing in Belgium and started up in Japan. It was like it was an end of an era. I am sure the young people today love the new Browings but for those of us who remember when......well they just never will be the same gun. Don't get me wrong, Browning is still a fine gun but, to me, it will never be the same.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you for your 24 years of service.
We are all very thankful that you and all the others at Marlin were so loyal and put out a great product line.
You and the others are already missed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It is a sad day. But I would like to thank you guy's for the lever revolution Marlin started. You brought us the guide gun's, The stainless lever's, the cowboy action guns, the SBL's, GBL's And on and on. Marlin listened to it's customer's and led the way. You guy's and gal's made a whole new lever history!!!!. My 1895GS will be buried with me.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
All the best to you and your colleagues Dom.

Regards,
Mark.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Thanks to all Marlin employee's that made us such fine "US" guns and happy customers. I can only hope and pray that the closing of one door is the opening of a bigger much better, but Marlins door will be hard to replace.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Many thanks to all the marlin employees who have maid lots of good memories for me and the rest of the brothers and sisters here at MO.Wish you all the best in your new journey. :'(

·
Registered
96 Posts
It could certainly be heading the other way too. Look at Ruger. They started manufacturing in a small barn in CT and now it's all done in NH and AZ. With current trends, it's unlikely, but ya never know.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Thank you for the many years you all put in and for the fantastic rifles you built. Be proud, you have done what no one else has done, and when our children and grandchildren hold a 20-60+ years old Marlin leveraction, they'll know they were built in CT by the best gunsmiths in the business. God bless you all.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Thank you for your service. Thanks to all of the other MARLIN employees too.

I wish you and everyone else the best in all of your future endeavors.

Take care.

Sincerely,

Catherine

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
The most beautiful and rugged rifles in the world bar none.I salute you gentleman.Thank you all. JD

1 - 20 of 21 Posts