Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first 1st Generation Colt Single Action--a 1903 vintage Bisley in .38 WCF. So I have started looking for a rifle to go with it. Recently I looked at a pretty rough Malin 1889 in the target caliber. The shop showed no interest in even talking about the price and it seems too high to me. Out the door would be just under $800.

The Ugly
  • The finish is a splotchy gray mostly, without and pitting to speak of (above the wood, anyway).
  • the forend screw is missing, so the forend slides up easily. Good news is that it seems to be solid otherwise
  • original rear sight is gone and the dovetail is "plugged" with a brass insert that looks like it has been there a long time and taken a beating. A new rear sight is installed in a new dovetail closer to the receiver, with the arm going forward so the WIDE buckhorn is about where it would be normally. no maker name to be seen on the rear sight
  • the bore is dirty and leaded and a bit pitted. hard to tell exactly how much of each, but the rifling looks generally good
  • the butt has a fairly sizable piece missing at the toe of the crescent buttplate and another short crack in the same area. chips has been out a while based on age of the exposed wood. other than than, the wood seems to be solid
  • there are two countersunk screws in the upper tang, but the factory writing is still visible
The Good:
  • action functions smoothly and visually seems to function.
  • legends are pretty visible and legible.
  • SN is in the upper 20k range, so I think and 1889 or 1890 rifle
  • hammer notches and springs seem solid. trigger is crisp
  • it IS the least expensive Marlin or Winchester 38 WCF I have seen since I started looking. 馃槀

What do you guys think? Worth saving it from the shop for some light shooting and appreciation? I think it has been there a long time which is why I'm surprised the workers wouldn't even take an offer or discussion to the owner/manager. I MIGHT try again if the Wisdom of the Board says to try.

Rob

Registered
Well, I think you would be hard pressed to find it cheaper in my neck of the woods. Prices vary so much location to location, it's almost irrelevant to discuss. But everything is going for a premium in our current firearms "shortage".

It sure sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Registered
Well Teddy, it is your $ and your decision, not what our opinion is.
It does not sound unreasonable & rough bores can sometimes shoot way better than they look!
On the other hand, last summer I bought a '94 in .38-40 for $800 on line from an individual in NY. The rifle had been his Grandfather's & had less than two boxes of ammo through it. The bore looked MINT. The price was low because the Grandfather did some hand checkering on the fore stock. Other wise very nice for it's age & it shoots like a dream.
So, nice ones ARE out there, but it will likely take a lot of looking to find a good one reasonable! In nice shape, I would think that you would be looking at $400-$500 more than what they are asking.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like both of you are saying that the rifle I described is worth the asking price in today's market.

rob

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Well I brought it home. Did get it for $650 plus tax. I'll make a new post about it in another board, I think, because this one doesn't get much traffic.

Thanks for the push!

Rob

Premium Member
Don't forget the pictures

Registered
650 ... They want that for a well used .30-30 around here.

Sounds like you did real good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts