Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy one of these for general plinking, shooting, hunting sidearm, and to pair with my Marlin 1894 45LC. I've had two Ruger Blackhawks, one 45 LC and one 45LC/45ACP convertible and accuracy was dismal. I even had the chamber throats reamed to .4525 because they were all different sizes and all undersized. I've had it with Ruger 45 LC's. Both are gone now-good riddance.....

How is accuracy out of the S&W? I realize its not up to the full power Ruger loads but that's not what I'm after. I tend to shoot lead and jacketed bullets on the mild side, usually 800-1000 fps. Are the chamber throats pretty uniform in the S&W's?

What's your experience???

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Don't have a 25 MG, but do have a 25-5. Have shot a 25 Mountain as well. They are accurate, and consistantly. You might want to get ahold of someone with access to the write-up in GunTest magazine that does a workup of this last month, the Thunder Ranch edition 44 special, and the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan.

I am no expert, but have suffered through some of the concerns Ruger had with their 45's. However, I stuck to it, and have evened my accuracy out with my Blackhawk with reaming and what not. I happened across an Alaskan, and picked it up as well. The shorter barrel is a challenge at first, but I center my plinking loads around a 45 cal. RCBS 45-270-SAA with 13 gr. of HS-6. GIves me 1100fps with barely any kick at all. For me, this gun shoots 1 inch at 25 yards, and that is doing well. I liked it so much I bought the 7.5in. version last week, and have been dually impressed with the gun to 100 yards so far. The throats, bore, and cylinder gap are way closer than Ruger 45's of old. I feel it has to do with the closer tolerances that Ruger had to follow to try to compete with Freedom Arms. I like the fact they can be shot heavy or light.

Consider the 454, if only for the closer tolerances. I shot high vel. loads, and have not had the case sticking some of the earlier guns have had. I've owned the Alaskan about 9mo, and have over 2000 rounds through it so far.

I do like my S&W, but am concerned with the continual pounding I give it. Even the lighter loads have loosened it (which was corrected by S&W). I reserve this gun for 255gr. Keith with under 1050 loads. On handloads.com, Linebaugh goes into depth with this gun. It is his gun of choice. I'll take my Ruger, but do enjoy my S&W for mild plinking.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Very good advice here. You might also consider the Ruger Redhawk. Both of mine are very accurate. Plus it will handle heavier loads if that is your thing. If it isn't the Smith should be fine. I too have had Smith N frames loosen up on me after fewer rounds than I would have expected.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought a S&W .44 Magnum Mountain Gun three years ago and have had no problems. Its accurate and tight after about 300 rounds.

I've owned a 6" 629 since 1984. I imagine that its had at least 5000 rounds through it. It feels slightly looser than the new gun but is just as accurate.

The trigger pull on the Mountain Gun is slightly better than the 629, and the 629's trigger is good.

Neither of the guns have been scoped, and I've only compared accuracy out to 25 yards. I don't think I've ever fired anything other than factory ammo, or reloads built to factory velocities.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I also have a 44 mountain gun.excellent but they do bark with full house loads :D .
easy packin for out in the woods
pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts