Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an model 60 with the short barrel (2") and the the rubber grip (bantom grip) I am waiting on the paperwork so I don't have the gun in front of me. What I am trying to do is figure out the manufacture date. The letters are BSC. I checked my catalog of Smith by Supica & Nahas and just about every other letter combo comes up except mine. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Someone here will help you out. I can't - sorry.

I sold my old, famous Smith and Wesson book with all of those details in it.

I did call the S&W toll free number and gave them a couple of different numbers on MM's brother's gun to help him out. One was the serial number and it gave the date of it - frame style and another thing on the gun gave the manufacturing order number - man who did the job if memory serves me right. That was on an older gun but not super, super old. The men in the repair section not the general answering service helped me out better with all of the fine details for MM's brother.

Catherine

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
In 1980, S&W went to a three letter serial # prefix but they were not necessarily used in order and there were often large gaps in the sequence. My best guess on your Model 60 would be late 1994, but the only way to know for sure is to call S&W. 1994 was the first year the 60s were shipped with the rubber Uncle Mike's Boot Grip and by 1996 they had transitioned to the Magnum J-frame as we discussed in another recent thread. Yours should be marked "60-9".

Smith & Wesson 1-800-331-0852
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

Roe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts