Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Handgun experts,

I came across this gun in a local gun-store site http://target.cl/producto/257/revolver-smith-wesson-tipo-14-calibre-22lr.html
It is supposed to be a .22 LR S&W 6" Bbl Model 14 (??). Has anyone seen such a thing before?
I wrote a note to these guys to double check but haven't received any answer yet. Browsing in other blogs, I found one additional case, but not confirmed, of Model 14 in .22 LR.

Thanks for your comments

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Model 14 is a .38, Model 17 &18 are .22's--have them open the cylinder and look on the yoke--it will have the correct number there--also see if the number has a dash after it such as 17-2,17-3, etc., the dashed numbers indicate the engineering change, the lower the number of the engineering change the more valuable they are.--for $350.00 regardless of dash number I'd be all over that--in a New York minute. If they'll give you the serial # we can date it pretty close to the year of MFG.

Example: A model 17 ( no dash) from say 1952 in that kind of shape was brining about $700.00--$750.00 last year.

Steve

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just FYI, the price showed is 350 thousand Chilean Pesos, in US$ it would be around 750.00
That is a pretty good price around here for a S&W, though. I'm still waiting for comments from the dealer.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had just sent the last post and received an e-mail from the dealer. Apparently it is marked as Model 14 (no dash) and the serial number is K129xxx
Any clue?

Andrés

EDIT: I just found out it should be a 1951 model, according to its SN. But, some place else I read models 14 and 17 started production in 1957. :-\

Where is Sensei Roe when you need him? :D

EDIT 2: no, I was wrong, Model 14 started production in 1947 and Model 17 in 1946.

EDIT 3: alright! some light came out, but not good news I'm afraid. First thing, it is not a Model 14 (no surprise here), owner says it's 14 "type". Second, no model number anywhere on the gun to be found. Third, serial number on the cilinder and barrel do match, but not sure about handle's. There is also something weird about the grip overlaping the S&W logo. There also is a 6021-8 or like that under the barrel in the chamber.
I'll relax a little and wait til I go to our capital city and take a closer look by myself. Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I'm right here, Grasshopper.

You guys haven't been paying attention. Smith & Wesson did not assign nor begin stamping model numbers on their revolvers until 1957. Prior to that, the models were all named, often with descriptive, even eloquent titles like Target Masterpiece, Outdoorsman, or Highway Patrolman.

These are often refered to as "pre-model (insert #)" by collectors, but nowhere on the revolver will you find a model # if it was produced before 1957.

Concerning this particular S&W. It is not unheard of to find Smiths stamped with the wrong model #, and since the Model 17 (.22) and Model 14 (.38 Special) were built on the same K-frame, I can see where a mis-stamp could happen. I don't consider this very unique and, in and of itself, adds no value to the example, and may even detract if it can't be proven to have come from the factory as such.

The serial number you list would indeed date to 1951, but if that is correct the revolver would not be marked with a model #, correct or not. Check to see if there is a number prefix before the 'K' in the serial #.

Roe

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Kaweskar said:
EDIT 3: alright! some light came out, but not good news I'm afraid. First thing, it is not a Model 14 (no surprise here), owner says it's 14 "type". Second, no model number anywhere on the gun to be found. Third, serial number on the cilinder and barrel do match, but not sure about handle's. There is also something weird about the grip overlaping the S&W logo. There also is a 6021-8 or like that under the barrel in the chamber.
I'll relax a little and wait til I go to our capital city and take a closer look by myself. Cheers

You posted this edit while I was typing the above response. This, of course, clears things up. If that serial # is correct, and I have no reason now to believe it isn't...what you have there is a K-22 Masterpiece (or Pre-Model 17 ::)) made in 1951. Condition is everything when considering value, but the US $ price you mention would be in the ball park...a bit high considering the lack of the original grips...unless it's in exceptional condition.

I must address one other point made in this thread, that a lower dash number will be more valuable. This is not always the case. Collector value is generally based on rariety and a later version (-#) may have had a shorter production run with far fewer produced. A great example of this is the Model 29 (no dash) and the Model 29-1. Far fewer of the -1 versions were made and they are some of the rarest of all the .44 magnums produced, and carry prices often double or more of what the "older" Model 29's command.

Roe

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
(It's OK, guys... Roe cracked my knuckles with a ruler, too, so I went out and got The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson... ;) ;) ;) )

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, Roe.

So it turrns out this might be a good buy if it is in good shooting order, uhm?. That would be nice because I have a S&W 617 on my wish list, but those cost around US$1,700 here, and seems way cooler to have this old boy(girl?) instead. The other piece of good news is clearly the owner doesn't know much about his gun, which is good, I think.
Now I'm looking forward to my 1,000 Km trip up to Santiago. When I do check the revolver I'll report back.

Thank you all guys for your comments

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Charlie98 said:
(It's OK, guys... Roe cracked my knuckles with a ruler, too, so I went out and got The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson... ;) ;) ;) )
Admit it Dennis, it's made you a wiser, more educated, fully rounded firearm aficionado. You might even say a better man. 8)

This tough love I use is all for your benefit. ;)

Kaweskar, you certainly find some interesting S&W's in your "land of giants". Who knew???

You have a far better idea of the going price of firearms in your area, but yes...I would consider that a decent price...if it's in very good or better condition and has it's original finish. A steal really, considering the cost of the 617 in those parts. I think you'll find these old K-22 Masterpieces are great shooters, fully the equal of the newer models and have a much greater panache. Keep us posted as things develop.

Roe

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Barenjager said:
You posted this edit while I was typing the above response. This, of course, clears things up. If that serial # is correct, and I have no reason now to believe it isn't...what you have there is a K-22 Masterpiece (or Pre-Model 17 ::)) made in 1951. Condition is everything when considering value, but the US $ price you mention would be in the ball park...a bit high considering the lack of the original grips...unless it's in exceptional condition.

I must address one other point made in this thread, that a lower dash number will be more valuable. This is not always the case. Collector value is generally based on rariety and a later version (-#) may have had a shorter production run with far fewer produced. A great example of this is the Model 29 (no dash) and the Model 29-1. Far fewer of the -1 versions were made and they are some of the rarest of all the .44 magnums produced, and carry prices often double or more of what the "older" Model 29's command.

Roe
You forgot to mention " Is it a 4 screw or 5 screw gun " --we didn't have all the info. you had when he and we originally posted. I should have said " generally speaking the lower the dash number the greater the value" which certainly holds true with the 17 & 18 Models and the gun he posted a picture of which I think is what he is interested in learning more about.

Had he asked about 29's we could have addressed that--along with--is there any letter of provenance that could increase it's value ?

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts