Marlin Firearms Forum banner

S&W Mod 453 did I do okay?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Barenjager 
#1 ·
Bumped into an old friend wanting to sell this pistol and wasn't sure if I got a decent deal or not. It's in great shape and has the squeezed backstrap type of safety, hammerless 1 3/4 inch barrel 5 shot 38 +P blued. It's somewhat hard to squeeze the backstrap to get it to fire and with the small plastic grips I was wondering if I put a larger grip it might work better. And maybe it's just my large hands that don't work on it as well. Plus the grips since they are plastic don't seem to fit as good as maybe wood and slide back and forth at the top. If anyone is familiar with this little gem please chime in. Thanks for any comments. This will make a good little conceal carry with the safety and no hammer if I can get used to it or better grips I hope.

Jim

#2 ·
Well Jim, I'm at a bit of a loss. I know of no S&W revolver with a model number of 453.

From what you describe, I would suspect you have one of the recent re-introductions of the "Centennial", either the all-steel Model 40, or the aluminum alloy framed Model 42. These are the only modern revolvers in the Smith line that have the grip safety. My assumption that you have one of the modern versions instead of one the originals is because the original Model 40/42's (produced, 1952 to 1974) were not rated for +P.

Nice little guns, part of the hammerless J-frame family that includes the popular 640, 642, and 442, any of the aftermarket grips that will fit this series will fit your revolver...providing they have an open backstrap. It shouldn't be too difficult to reduce the spring pressure on the grip safety either. A classic and popular option is to add a Tyler T-grip to your existing grips. That may be all you need.
http://www.t-grips.com/

As to whether you got a good deal or not...not knowing how much you paid makes that hard to determine...but if you're happy with the purchase, I say you've done just fine.

Roe

#3 ·
Thanks, yes I paid $375 for it. Forgot that part. So how do I find out the model #? That was what was in the opened cyclinder frame. And I cleaned it all real good and put a drop of gun oil on all the moving parts and the grip safety and worked it good and oh yes, tightened the grips and works fine. I like it. So I guess I can go to the S&W site to look up the year too?

Thanks again,
Jim

#5 ·
jtshooter said:
Nope, sorry. It is a mod 40-1 listed on the other side. You are correct.
The "-1" confirms that it is one of the re-introduced Model 40's, which would put it's production within the last few years.

jtshooter said:
Thanks, yes I paid $375 for it. I like it.
I suppose you do, and you're going to like it even more after you hear this. The current list price for the Model 40 is $875 and the actual street price on these revolvers NIB is $625 to $675. Wish I could find some old friends like that. ::)

Enjoy.

Roe

#6 ·
Barenjager said:
The "-1" confirms that it is one of the re-introduced Model 40's, which would put it's production within the last few years.

I suppose you do, and you're going to like it even more after you hear this. The current list price for the Model 40 is $875 and the actual street price on these revolvers NIB is $625 to $675. Wish I could find some old friends like that. ::)

Enjoy.

Roe
We've seen all those photos, Roe! Either you have SEVERAL friends like that or you're really Paris Hilton!

Jon

#11 ·
I'm voting for pix of the S&W 40-1.

Sounds like a great deal. I like those guns. I saw one with case colored frame- recent manufacture- very nice looking.

M

#12 ·
Barenjager said:

Enjoy.

Roe
Wow! Thanks Roe, mine's excellent but no box. And he's selling more guns he said, cut back at work and needs cash. You want a chance at some that I don't buy? Forgot to mention that I'm a lifelong Packer fan too! Or is that not feisable with having to use dealers, etc. I'm going to call him to see what he's going to be selling. I think he's been packing them away for years.

Jim

#13 ·
I looked at a new 40-1 today- dealer asking $725 for it.

I would say you got a great deal.

M

#14 ·
jtshooter said:
Forgot to mention that I'm a lifelong Packer fan too!
Wow Jim...your having a great month. A great buy on a Smith & Wesson to celebrate a Super Bowl victory! Don't get no better than that. 8)

Have your friend keep me in mind, if and when...and please post some pics of that Model 40 before people change their vote. ::)

Roe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.