Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i bought my 9 c last year because i wanted a carry gun. Iv shot it a couple of times and it just seems to not group consistent. Now im no where near as good with a pistol as i am with a rifle so im sure my trigger pull has alot to do with it. I also understand its not made to be a target gun. But i didnt like the smaller grip so i bought a 17rd mag with a spacer so it would fit the compact but havent tryed it yet. Anyone else have this problem?
And can anyone suggest some good commercial target ammo.

·
Registered
478 Posts
erick7181, Have you visited this site www.speedshooterspecialties.com
They supply some very good drop in parts to enhance an M&P. Trigger pull has a lot to do with grouping. Based on whether or not your firearm has a safety or does not, many items are available. I have installed parts on all three of my M&Ps.

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
A word of caution regarding enhancing part on carry guns. The courts have not taken kindly to performance of trigger enhancements on carry firearms.

You run a real risk today when using trigger parts especially if a death occurs and inspection of the weapon shows modifications from its stock configuration.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Truth be told i havent carried it because of the accuracy. I dont know if i want to put any money into parts im considering geting rid of it and buying something else.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I could spend paragraphs discussing the importance of grip and trigger control when learning to shoot a powerful, compact pistol with an admittedly mediocre trigger...

....but it's far easier to agree with your last sentence.

Roe

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
I have a M&P Shield 9 and a M&P 45. The Shield has a much better trigger. The trigger on the 45 is long and sloppy and I am going to put the Apex trigger in it. I can shoot both of them well enough to hit the general area aimed at though.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
The M&P compact has a three dot sight. You need to align the 3 dots and then cover the point of aim with the middle dot. If you use the sight post under the target you will miss low about 5 inches at 7 yards. Another good practice routine is to dry fire with a mounted laser sight. The laser dot will show what happens with your point of aim as you pull the trigger. Aim with the native sights, but watch the laser dot.

Practice dry firing with the trigger. The trigger will reset when you rack the slide. Actually the trigger on the newer M&Ps are pretty decent when compared with the Glock and the XD and other handguns of this type. The pull is a long, but smooth, stroke. It does not break like a single stage trigger on a rifle or a single action revolver.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I kinda thought about it yesterday. The gunshop offerd me $250 i payed $550 so if i was going to get anothor one id probaby get a sig P226. So the gunshop sayed they could put in a apex kit for $100. Im gonna eventually buy anothor anyway so for $250 its not even worth selling.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The apex kits are great but you can clean up the triggers on these yourself very easily just by polishing the trigger bar and safety plunger with a dremmel fob and polishing compound. I bought one apex kit and have done about 20 trigger jobs on these just by polishing. I have several M&Ps and really like the platform. Try changing your grip panel to a different size. I was amazed how much different I shot when I did this. While I have small hands and the small feels the best I actually shoot better with the medium grip. Also, each 9mm M&P I've had shoots 124 or 147 grain bullets better. They are great guns and I think once you get used to the trigger you will get better. I had a hard time at first going from revos and 1911s to the M&P but after a while it became natural.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
I kinda thought about it yesterday. The gunshop offerd me $250 i payed $550 so if i was going to get anothor one id probaby get a sig P226. So the gunshop sayed they could put in a apex kit for $100. Im gonna eventually buy anothor anyway so for $250 its not even worth selling.
If you want to sell it, you can try to find a LGS that'll put it on consignment. I had a S&W Shield. A couple of LGS were only going to give me $200 - $250 for it. I put it on consignment for $325 (blue book). After the LGS got their 15%, I still came out with $276 and change. Since I bought my Ruger on sale, I only lost about $80.00 after all was said and done.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I had a Sig 226 and thought a lot of it. Very accurate and reliable. Why do I not have it still? My friend decided she REALLY likes it....and now I am patiently looking for a good used single action only version to show locally. Of the S&W semi autos I prefer my all stainless, single stack 3906. The weight makes it shoot like a 38 shooting target wad cutters. The single stack is slim enough to carry easy. Mine shoots well but not as accurate as the SIG. Both shoot their best with Federal Match Target.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My ruger vaquero is a 357/.38 and i love shooting .38s i just hate cleaning it afterwards. I think im eventually going to buy a sig p226 so when i do i might just get rid of the m&p 9c

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured the accuracy was a combination of two things, one being the ammo i was shooting the hollow points because thats what i keep in it. And it came with two mags both 10rds one has the finger extention for your pinky and one with a flat floor plate which causes your pinky to stay under it.
So i bought a 17rd for the full size m&p and something called an x-grip which makes it a full size grip. I shot 50rds of remington ball and it shot great almost all shots within the center. Still want the sig mk25 in 9mm but it can wait.

·
Registered
108 Posts
People talk about keeping the gun factory. Trigger pulls, courts, problems. Lawyers have to keep the gun company safe. Do target comp. shooters fine tune theirs guns ? Legal shoot is all we have to worry about in the ccw world. The better you are with the gun the less chance you lost a bullet. Training will only get you so good. When your pants get full and the cops miss a lot, you can't train in a true fear mode. Anyway I have a mp 9c and I replaced the hard shear I that's what they call it and really cleaned up the trigger. 147 gr. hp shot the best groups for me. Ammo and brand can help or hurt you.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Apex kits are around 100, plus your gunshop cost of another 100. Ugh.

The M&P line is fairly good. The triggers are decent (but not great) out of the box. Most of the time I would say "It's you" and recommend HiKayaker's dryfire regimen. If you're not a pistoleer, this is still a good thing to do. However, I do feel a gun to gun inconsistency when dealing with M&P's. I've shot 40c that's amazing, a 45 full that's pretty good, a 9c that's fair and a 9 full that I wasn't able to group well at all. Even after the owner did an Apex conversion on it.

Keep practicing with it and hand it off to a known handgun shooter to see if THEY can make it work. 90%+ of the time it IS the shooter.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
It does seem the M&P triggers vary depending on who you talk to. I really like my 9C and I shoot it better than any full size Glock I have ever put a round through, it is my EDC gun. Whenever I hear talk about problems in court I say: show me the cases. I'd be willing to bet if nonstock gun parts are a real issue it is because there are other problems with the shoot to begin with.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah im just gonna stick with the stock trigger. It has a long travel but it is a ccw gun not a target gun so theres really no reason. I havnt gone for my ccw license yet but i do plan to. Im still planing on buying a sig P226 so ill carry the 9 compact when i get my license and keep the sig for the house and the range.
Are there any IWB holsters that wont ruin the finish on the frame?

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
The slide has a Melonite finish, a chemical process that creates a very hard, rust resistant surface of the base metal...in this case, stainless steel..with a Rockwell rating between 55 and 65. Glock uses the same treatment on their slides but calls it Tenifer. I wouldn't worry about wear from any kydex, leather, or nylon holster.

Roe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts